Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Not enough passing downfield,we need a deep threat.

smackdown 46

It sucks San Diego started strong this year. I was thinking if they started off slow we could be able to throw them a 4th or 5th rounder for V-Jax...because they know this is his last year in a Chargers uniform. Oh well =(

4th or 5th? I'd give them a first/second with the stipulation that he signs long-term.

How else do you plan to get a Playmaker at WR? Through the draft? Laugh. Every single one we've drafted has turned to poop.

Uhh actually yes, through the draft, like every other team does, or through free agency. Trading high draft picks is a thing of the past for this team.

Every time we call a deep pass and get good protection, Grossman never throws it. Either our WRs can’t seperate from the defenders or Grossman just doesn’t feel confident enough to throw the ball. While Moss has certainly lost a step, Grossman has also underthrown Moss on a couple of deep balls this year. Moss can still get open deep. I don’t know if Grossman can get him the ball though.

Our OC is dialing up the deep pass, but it's not happening. I look at other teams like Kansas City with D. Bowe. Cassel is an average QB, but hits some huge plays simply because Bowe will beat his defenders on deep crossing routes or just out jump a defender playing tight man. I'm stating the obvious, but size and speed is in the DNA of a majority of the leading receivers in the NFL. Hell, Calvin Johnson simply manhandles defenders every single week. Outside of New England, the modern NFL passing game is dominated by elite receivers.

Part of me thinks that, ironically, Rex is so paranoid about turning the ball over, that he's not willing to just take a shot and let his receiver make a play. We ran three play action boots on that opening drive. Either there was no one open, or Rex didn't trust what he was seeing and wouldn't let it fly. Even just throwing the ball down field and hoping a guy can make a play on it can be good, though with Rex, he's had like, five of those kind of throws damn near get intercepted.

The other problem is that teams are absolutely unafraid of our run game. They should be; we've got three backs who can all be dangerous with the football in their hand. But no one's biting on play action pass on 3rd down, at least not deep. 3rd down is always a passing down for this team, whether it's 3rd and 10 or 3 and 1. So, since we pass so much, the whole foundation of our offense (play action passes, bootlegs, rollouts) pretty much become useless because we don't stick to the run when it's working for us.

Having the deep threat outside can be effective, but look back at the Giants game; we kept pounding the rock, and pounding it, and pounding it, even when it wasn't producing much for us. And because they dropped that safety in the box to eliminate Hightower's production, all the sudden, the play action passes started working. Armstrong, Gaffney and Moss all got open on the deep stuff.

The running game is an extension of the passing game in this system, The more and the better we run, the more defenses try to cheat up to stop us, and those deep routes will end up developing a lot better. But until we show some type of commitment to the run outside of acting like it's a nuisance you occasionally have to do, defenses are just going to play coverage, and 8 times out 10, the calls going to be right. We can still eat 'em up short and intermediate, but deep? Pfft, I wouldn't be afraid of getting beat deep either if I were a defense. Just stick a safety over top of Armstrong and stick to your zones or your man.

This offense has looked wrong for a couple of games now and it seems strange to see how much of an impact not having Darrell Young and Anthony Armstrong out there . Without Armstrong we have no one to really stretch the field opposite Moss who gets more attention, Cooley back at FB is wasted and for some reason Fred Davis with his time to shine at TE seems to have gone back to sleep ...

Just saw that CJ is under contract until after next season. I'd be highly surprised if Detroit didn't sign him, but he's one guy I would throw 100 million at. He just seems like the type of WR that would excel in any system, not just Detroits. If were a playoff caliber team this year and next, and he's unsigned, I throw the checkbook at him. By that time, he could be that guy that puts our offense over the top.

Archived