Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The absence of AA and Young and its effect on the offense

skinfan2k

Having both of them miss the past 2 games, Rex has been unable to open up the vertical passing game that enabled him to get nearly 300 yards in the first 2 games. AA provided that deep support that no one on the team can do. Moss isn't playing in the slot as much as he used too last year and in the beginning of this year. Moss is intermediate receiver while Jabar has been the ultimate possession receiver. Fred Davis's game has been shut down as a result too. I think he has only 3 catches in the past 2 games

Darrell Young played great albeit in the first two games and opened up lanes for Helu and HTH in the first two games. Now we are relying on Cooley in the FB and it isn't as great as with Young in the backfield.

Is this element of the offense missing and causing everything to slow down? Thoughts?

I think missing Young showed more against Dallas than it did today. Dallas has a much better defense than St Louis and having him in there to lead block would have helped our run game a little more. And even with Anthony Armstrong in the game, I don't see our vertical passing game doing much more than it does now. We are not the type of offense to take many shots down the field, although I wish we would throw atleast one bomb a game. This is mostly because Rex doesn't have the strongest arm and we don't really trust him throwing the ball up for grabs. I do think having AA back will help our passing game more...another weapon on the field can never hurt. Hopefully both of them will be able to come back after the bye week ready to go.

Having both of them miss the past 2 games, Rex has been unable to open up the vertical passing game that enabled him to get nearly 300 yards in the first 2 games. AA provided that deep support that no one on the team can do. Moss isn't playing in the slot as much as he used too last year and in the beginning of this year. Moss is intermediate receiver while Jabar has been the ultimate possession receiver. Fred Davis's game has been shut down as a result too. I think he has only 3 catches in the past 2 games

Darrell Young played great albeit in the first two games and opened up lanes for Helu and HTH in the first two games. Now we are relying on Cooley in the FB and it isn't as great as with Young in the backfield.

Is this element of the offense missing and causing everything to slow down? Thoughts?

I think both are affecting our offense. I still think Rex is just a stopgap but he's definitely better with AA and DY in the game. When Young is in there we can convert more of those tough short yardage situations and I think AA helps open other receivers up.

This offense is still a work in progess. Torrain in his first game, Young out, Armstrong out, Cooley out of position. So many people are so impatient given that it's the QBs fourth start in a game that counted in this system that he's supposedly been with for so long (hint: he only played a quarter with it in Houston in the middle of that one year).

Archived