Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: New Maryland Laws Go Into Effect Saturday

MattFancy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-new-laws-20110929,0,4685325.story

Glancing at a text message or an e-mail from behind the wheel will cost $500 in fines starting Saturday, when a new law goes into effect clarifying Maryland's muddled driving-while-texting rules.

Until now, drivers were barred from writing text messages while negotiating traffic but permitted to read them.

How in the world are they going to prove this?

How in the world are they going to prove this?

Same way they prove that you didn't signal, or ran a stop sign, or numerous other violations. The cop will go to court and say "I saw him do it".

(Now, if your question is "how can the cop say I was reading email, instead of, say, looking at a photo?", then :whoknows:)

Because texting drivers arent paying attention, so they'll drive right past cops on the road and speed traps.

Frankly, the texting and driving has gotten WAY out of hand. EVERY SINGLE DAY i have to honk at someone at a stoplight to ****ing pay attention that the light has turned green. EVERY DAY.

Sorry about that cupcake :kiss:

:ols: You'll be real sorry when I start throwing pennies at you at 55 mph. :)

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 05:29 PM ----------

Fine by me.

Course, they made talking on the phone illegal a year ago, and as far as I can see, it has stopped absolutely no one.

~Bang

Whatever they are doing in Downtown DC seems to be working. You hardly ever see anyone talking and driving. Well, you can talk if it's handfree, but you never see anyone with a phone to their frontal facehole.

My Iphone has a turn by turn GPS, will i get pulled over for looking at that?

WIll others get pulled over for looking at their TomTom for the same thing.

Looking at GPS is still a loophole in the new law.

If everyone that doesnt text while driving would just do what I do then atleast the fools that do may think twice before doing so,

I make sure to get in front of them and as soon as I see them look down I slam on my brakes, the look on their faces is priceless. :ols:

• 8 months later...

CDC: Older teens often text behind the wheel

ATLANTA (AP) — More than half of high school seniors admit they text or email while driving — the first federal statistics on how common the dangerous habit is in teens.

An anonymous national survey conducted last year found that 58 percent of high school seniors said they had texted or emailed while driving during the previous month. About 43 percent of high school juniors acknowledged they did the same thing.

"I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised at all," said Vicki Rimasse, a New Jersey woman whose son caused a fender bender earlier this year after texting in traffic. She made him take a safe-driving class after the mishap.

"I felt like an idiot," said her 18-year-old son, Dylan Young.

"It caused me to be a lot more cautious," said the high school senior, although he conceded that he still texts behind the wheel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released the survey results Thursday. Some earlier studies had suggested teen texting while driving was common though perhaps not quite so high.

Click on the link for the full article

My wife is from South America and their country have had bans for talking and texting a while. She still doesn't know how we still allow it, but I tell her its on a state by state basis.

---------- Post added June-8th-2012 at 09:46 AM ----------

"I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised at all," said Vicki Rimasse, a New Jersey woman whose son caused a fender bender earlier this year after texting in traffic. She made him take a safe-driving class after the mishap.

"I felt like an idiot," said her 18-year-old son, Dylan Young.

"It caused me to be a lot more cautious," said the high school senior, although he conceded that he still texts behind the wheel.

Guess what Dylan Young? You're still an idiot. Wow. Talk about not even getting the point.

---------- Post added June-8th-2012 at 09:48 AM ----------

Because texting drivers arent paying attention, so they'll drive right past cops on the road and speed traps.

Frankly, the texting and driving has gotten WAY out of hand. EVERY SINGLE DAY i have to honk at someone at a stoplight to ****ing pay attention that the light has turned green. EVERY DAY.

It's not just at traffic lights. It's everywhere. Riding home in rush hour traffic I can literally point out at least a half a dozen drivers around me either talking or texting or continuously glancing at their phone (what the hell is up with that? I see people glancing down every 5 seconds or so. Are you that bored with life?)

Anybody that complains about this must already be guilty of the infraction. There are way too many accidents caused by reading/sending texts/emails that have cuased serious injuries and deaths.

Get over it.

I'll never forget being stuck behind some **** (C word) in a mini-van swerving and going slow as molasses on a highway and when we were finally able to get around her she was ****ing texting with BOTH hands and steering with her ****ing KNEES. That still pisses me off thinking about it.

NJ just passed a law to enforce any animal in the car, needs to have a seltbelt on. That's going too far.

Down here, you can drink and drive, while smoking a joint, with 20 kids in the back of your pick up truck, but if you aren't wearing a shirt, don't have a seat belt on in the front or are looking at your phone, you will immediately be pulled over and fined.

I have no idea why they add stupid "can only be pulled over for another infraction" BS.

Why bother at that point?

~Bang

They do it because otherwise the concept of probable cause goes out the window. Pull over anybody at any time you please and say they looked like they were texting.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't understand why people believe hands-free devices are any safer when it comes to phone conversations. To me, the fact that you're driving with a phone in your hand is not the main safety concern when talking and driving. The fact that your mind is elsewhere and not focused on your driving is what makes it unsafe. Hands-free devices do not fix this.

I have spoken on the phone on my way driving somewhere, and when I got there I didn't remember one detail about the drive. It was terrifying to realize I drove several miles without focusing on my driving to the point where I could not remember anything. That's the true danger. Only driving with one hand could certainly prove to be less safe, but is nowhere near as problematic than not being focused on the task at hand. I drive with one hand anyway. It's just more comfortable to me and I have never felt unsafe doing so.

However, there is nothing safe about texting and driving. As others have stated, I do beleive it's an incredibley hard law to enforce. I search for songs on my ipod and mess with my gps frequently when i drive. They need to make the law more broad to looking at any device while driving, not just texting and email.

Ban hands-free devices because they're a distraction, and realistically, you have to ban radios...and passengers. At some point it has to stop.

As far as texting though, that should be common damned sense. There is NOTHING that you can text that is as important as my life. Period.

Archived