Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B/R: Game Against Rams Most Important of the Season for Redskins

SkinsNoles21

I know I know ... its Bleacher Report. But ... I wrote this, so ... I guess you could say I am partial to it. I don't have a blog and I work for a sports media start-up that I attempt to promote, so Bleacher Report is a great place to publish work and actually have it read. Anyways ... not here to debate B/R.

This is my take on why the game against the Rams this weekend is the most important of the season for the Skins ...

The St Louis Rams are 0-3. They have been outscored 96-36 in those three games and have the league’s 31st ranked defense, surrendering 426.3 yards per game. They are bad in every sense of the word.

That is why this is the most important game of the season for the Washington Redskins.

Yes, it’s important because the Redskins are coming off a tough Monday night loss to the Dallas Cowboys. Yes, it’s important because the Redskins would much rather be 3-1 heading into the bye week than 2-2. But those are not the reasons why it’s the most important game of the year.

It’s the most important game of the year because the Redskins need to prove to themselves and to their fan base that they can win a game they are supposed to. Not win as time expires with a field goal. Not score a go ahead touchdown late in the game. Straight up win it.

Ahead by at least two scores late in the fourth quarter, thinking about putting back-ups in the game, win it.

Click here to continue reading

Had me up until the last sentence;

"Ahead by at least two scores heading into the fourth quarter, thinking about putting back-ups in the game, win it. "

The last thing they should do is put in back-ups;

1] a very possible chance of any of them blowing a coverage, fumbling, etc, which could possibly put the Rams right back in the ballgame, unless we're ahead by 2 td's with under a minute.

2] With the players starting to become more familiar with each other and the defense, hec, the offense as well, they need all the playing time they can get in order to become more efficient...

To be honest this has some truth to it....here me out. Last year we were 1-0 going into the game against the Texans....flying high until the fourth quarter collapse almost certain we were going to be 2-0. Then comes the ST. LOUIS RAMS in week 3 and we get beat 30-16. A game we were supposed to win and I believe that game was the turning point to the season and we never regained our way. The team took that loss really hard as well as the fans. I feel if we do lose this game we are in for a horrible season and at best a 7-9 record. I totally agree with the OP this is a huge game.

Every game is important!

How about the ESPN Madden Sim that has the Skins losing the game in the heading but the final score in the box score has them winning.....LMAO ESPN!

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/easims12/_/gameId/7026725/madden-12-ea-simulations

Nope, the box score adds up the same as the heading. They just left out the final score for the Rams.

But I agree, every game is important. This one is important to show we can win a game we're supposed to.

Vegas seems to be signaling that Washington hasn't impressed.

2-1 Washington favored -1.5 @ 0-3 St. Louis

2-1 Dallas favored -1.5 @ 3-0 Detroit

1-2 Philly favored -8.5 at home against 2-1 San Fran

2-1 New York -2 @ 1-2 Arizona

We are playing one of the worst three teams in the league. A team that has lost by 18 and 30 at home this season and by 12 in their one road game.... and we are barely favored to win the game.

Your next game always is your most important game.

Never let it be said BR isn't at the cutting edge of logic.

Hail.

Good one.

I think winning this game is more important than winning the game against the Patriots. So when that game is up next ... I'll still say this game is more important.

B/r didn't tell me to write the article. I wrote it.

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 12:06 PM ----------

Had me up until the last sentence;

"Ahead by at least two scores heading into the fourth quarter, thinking about putting back-ups in the game, win it. "

The last thing they should do is put in back-ups;

1] a very possible chance of any of them blowing a coverage, fumbling, etc, which could possibly put the Rams right back in the ballgame, unless we're ahead by 2 td's with under a minute.

2] With the players starting to become more familiar with each other and the defense, hec, the offense as well, they need all the playing time they can get in order to become more efficient...

Just a statement as to what type of win the team needs to pick up ... a convincing one ... not literally saying, take out the starters.

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 12:08 PM ----------

To be honest this has some truth to it....here me out. Last year we were 1-0 going into the game against the Texans....flying high until the fourth quarter collapse almost certain we were going to be 2-0. Then comes the ST. LOUIS RAMS in week 3 and we get beat 30-16. A game we were supposed to win and I believe that game was the turning point to the season and we never regained our way. The team took that loss really hard as well as the fans. I feel if we do lose this game we are in for a horrible season and at best a 7-9 record. I totally agree with the OP this is a huge game.

Exactly. We are either going to be 3-1 with our only loss being a tough nailbiter on Monday night ... or 2-2 riding a 2 game losing streak with the most recent loss coming against one of the worst teams in the league.

Who cares?

I mean...we're kind of forgetting that the Rams are desperate for a win too, yeah? They're going to come ready to play and they're going to come ready to beat us too, and it's entirely possible they could beat us even if we play a hard fought game.

The worse we can be after this game is .500. The stock we're putting in a week 4 game, using it as some sort of barometer for where we are as a team...I know it's a game they should win, but I'm not going to sit back and pretend our entire season is DOOMED if we don't go out and win in some sort of 35-3 blowout or something...

Vegas seems to be signaling that Washington hasn't impressed.

2-1 Washington favored -1.5 @ 0-3 St. Louis

2-1 Dallas favored -1.5 @ 3-0 Detroit

1-2 Philly favored -8.5 at home against 2-1 San Fran

2-1 New York -2 @ 1-2 Arizona

We are playing one of the worst three teams in the league. A team that has lost by 18 and 30 at home this season and by 12 in their one road game.... and we are barely favored to win the game.

Am I only one who finds it funny Dallas is favored over the Lions(The Lions who have been rolling), Eagles favored like hell over the 49ers(the Eagles that have been self destructing), and the Skins are barely favored over a NFL team that has been horrible in every meaning of the word.

Who cares?

I mean...we're kind of forgetting that the Rams are desperate for a win too, yeah? They're going to come ready to play and they're going to come ready to beat us too, and it's entirely possible they could beat us even if we play a hard fought game.

The worse we can be after this game is .500. The stock we're putting in a week 4 game, using it as some sort of barometer for where we are as a team...I know it's a game they should win, but I'm not going to sit back and pretend our entire season is DOOMED if we don't go out and win in some sort of 35-3 blowout or something...

If we lose ... I won't say are season is doomed, anything can happen ... but you can bet a lot of people will say that. I just think its one of those games that can set the tone for a season.

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 12:22 PM ----------

SN, I totally and utterly missed the first paragraph in your OP and just read the aforementioned article.

I never realised you wrote it. So please excuse my sarcasm at BR. It wasn't a slight on you man.

But I would argue your next game is always your most important game, regardless.

Hail.

I can agree with that, however ... my feeling is that this is kind of a "hump game" ...

Not to mention the meltdown that will occur on extremeskins if we lose this one.

The Rams game is extremely important. Winning it you are on pace to be 12-4. Losing it you are on pace to be 8-8. Being 3-1 at the bye is a great spot. 2-2 and you have a lot of questions and doubts start swirling around over the bye. Going 2-2, then coming out and losing to the Eagles, all of a sudden you might see some unraveling. Beating the Rams is crucial.

...and after this one the Philly game will be the most importance one of the season. Each new week brings the most important game of the season with it.

So the Redskins lose to the Rams to fall to 2-2, then go 3-8 after that, and have a record of 5-10.

The most important game is the last game of the year against the Eagles?

This notion of the next game is the most important game is incorrect. Yeah, it is if you are in a battle for a playoff spot. But if you are getting beat week in and week out then the games lose importance.

Every season for every team there are season defining games.

This is the Skins. Win and go to 3-1 ... at worst tied for first. Lose and fall to 2-2 with the Eagles looming after the bye week.

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 01:50 PM ----------

We would have to be up by 5 touchdowns going into the 4th quarter before they thought about putting in all backups. Up by only "two scores heading into the fourth quarter"...not a snowball's chance in hell.

There I fixed it. My bad I didn't think people would read into it that much. The point is ... win a game convincingly ... not a nail biter down to the wire. Thats the type of game the Skins need.

My prediction of the game based on history and what I've seen of the team this year. The Rams come out, and evrything they do works. They set season team records for longest play from scrimmage, and look like SB continders on both sides of the ball. The Redskins on the other hand continue to back slide and look like a team headed for another sub .500 season. hate me and flame me if you will, but yes we have all been here before, and it's thesame 'ol worn out story for the Skins!

My prediction of the game based on history and what I've seen of the team this year. The Rams come out, and evrything they do works. They set season team records for longest play from scrimmage, and look like SB continders on both sides of the ball. The Redskins on the other hand continue to back slide and look like a team headed for another sub .500 season. hate me and flame me if you will, but yes we have all been here before, and it's thesame 'ol worn out story for the Skins!

Well that would suck.

To me this game is important because we have a chance to go 3-1. No more than that really. We have a chance to rebound after a tough loss in Dallas and have a solid record going into the bye week. Furthermore, it would be a win against a team that has plagued us for the past two years.

It’s the most important game of the year because the Redskins need to prove to themselves and to their fan base that they can win a game they are supposed to.

That is probably the most relevant statement they made.

Yeah... I cant say that I dissagree...... I will be extremely upset if we lose this game. Mainly because I feel this is a totally different team. A better team than the same old redskins that we have had as of lately. But if we do lose, then it would just show that we probably are just the same old redskins, and that would be heart breaking!!

Archived