Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo News: Capitol Police investigating The Onion for fake hostage crisis tweets

Corcaigh

I'm thinking that this makes more sense in context.

"A pair of tweets started the apparent commotion. "BREAKING: Witnesses reporting screams and gunfire heard inside Capitol building," the first tweet read."

I mean, if people are tweeting that there are screams, gunfire and a hostage situation at the Capitol, the first reaction of the Capitol Police damn well should be to take it seriously. And when it turnes out to be a joke, I can bet they would be kind of pissed off, and rightfully so.

"A pair of tweets started the apparent commotion. "BREAKING: Witnesses reporting screams and gunfire heard inside Capitol building," the first tweet read."

I mean, if people are tweeting that there are screams, gunfire and a hostage situation at the Capitol, the first reaction of the Capitol Police damn well should be to take it seriously. And when it turnes out to be a joke, I can bet they would be kind of pissed off, and rightfully so.

I'm pretty sure those particular tweets were deleted as well.

Are you suggesting that the Capitol Police should be following tweets from The Onion to find out what's going on inside the Capitol building.

Similarly should Wall Street be upset if they took action following the immediately prior tweet "K-Mart Reorganizes As Bed & Breakfast Chain"

Or should ESPN have covered the story: "Syracuse Leaves Big East For Woman Named 'Misti'"

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 12:39 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure those particular tweets were deleted as well.

Nope. They're still in their feed.

http://twitter.com/#!/Theonion

Are you suggesting that the Capitol Police should be following tweets from The Onion to find out what's going on inside the Capitol building.

No, I'm suggesting that tweets about shootings in the Capital are going to get a lot of attention at first, especially when the joke isn't made clear until later tweets. It's one thing to get a link to an Onion story. It's another thing to get a forwarded tweet that says nothing but: "BREAKING: Witnesses reporting screams and gunfire heard inside Capitol building" :whoknows:

No, I'm suggesting that tweets about shootings in the Capital are going to get a lot of attention at first, especially when the joke isn't made clear until later tweets. It's one thing to get a link to an Onion story. It's another thing to get a forwarded tweet that says nothing but: "BREAKING: Witnesses reporting screams and gunfire heard inside Capitol building" :whoknows:
And when they do check and see it's from the Onion? :whoknows:

Really not trying to mimic you or anything, that's just the smiley that seems to go best with my post.

Do the words "consider the source" mean anything?

Gosh, John Boehner finally lost it!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/congress-takes-group-of-schoolchildren-hostage,26207/

It's on the interwebs, it must be real.

Wow...how come I didn't hear about this on the news? Daggon media cover up is what it is!!!!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/un-address-ends-in-tragedy-as-ahmadinejad-suffers,26138/

U.N. Address Ends In Tragedy As Ahmadinejad Suffers Third Degree Burns From Malfunctioning Pyrotechnics

NEW YORK—Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's highly anticipated annual address to the U.N. General Assembly ended in tragedy today when an onstage pyrotechnics mishap left the Iranian president with third-degree burns covering 40 percent of his body. Soon after ascending the podium amidst flashing lights and the blaring strains of AC/DC's "Hell’s Bells," the 54-year-old leader was seen protectively cradling his head as a massive fountain of brightly colored sparks exploded directly into his face. "We tried to warn him that our venue was not suited to this kind of display, but he was insistent," U.N. facilities manager Gary Shepard said. "And the pyrotechnicians were supposed to hold off on the larger fireworks until Mr. Ahmadinejad got to his big finish about Israel." Assembled dignitaries agreed they had not witnessed such a grave disaster since 1997, when Kofi Annan’s aerial rigging snapped and sent the secretary-general careening into the delegation from Bulgaria, killing eight.

Do the words "consider the source" mean anything?

Gosh, John Boehner finally lost it!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/congress-takes-group-of-schoolchildren-hostage,26207/

It's on the interwebs, it must be real.

Wow...how come I didn't hear about this on the news? Daggon media cover up is what it is!!!!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/un-address-ends-in-tragedy-as-ahmadinejad-suffers,26138/

As I said before, to me, there is a difference between receiving a link to a joke site, and recieving a short tweet stating nothing more than: "BREAKING: Witnesses reporting screams and gunfire heard inside Capitol building."

As I said before, to me, there is a difference between receiving a link to a joke site, and recieving a short tweet stating nothing more than: "BREAKING: Witnesses reporting screams and gunfire heard inside Capitol building."

Tweets aren't unsigned, though. It says TheOnion above their tweets, not exactly a scavenger hunt for the source.

Tweets aren't unsigned, though. It says TheOnion above their tweets, not exactly a scavenger hunt for the source.

It doesn't matter. Let me ask you this. Has a website/twitter account ever been used for something other than it's usual purpose, especially in a time of crisis?

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 06:49 PM ----------

Better than the cold shower you usually have to take when you think of me. :)

Damnit! I told PCS to keep that a secret!!!! ;)

It doesn't matter. Let me ask you this. Has a website/twitter account ever been used for something other than it's usual purpose, especially in a time of crisis?

It is a fake news site. They are fake news. anything by them should be considered fake news. The only difference here, it seems, is that it was done on their twitter account rather than their webpage. Anyone getting their breaking news from The Onion's twitter feed deserves to be ridiculed.

They waited until the third tweet to post a link to their joke story. And there are some people out there who don't know who the Onion is.

And if you read the link in the OP, you would see that the Capitol Police haven't DONE anything against the Onion. All they did was issue a press statement saying they are looking into it. You guys are acting like they threw them all into GITMO.

If this story was about someone in the Capital Police going to the Onion website, thinking that the nutty stories were true, and going after the Onion, and so on, I would agree with all of you. But that's really not what happened.

It is a fake news site. They are fake news. anything by them should be considered fake news. The only difference here, it seems, is that it was done on their twitter account rather than their webpage. Anyone getting their breaking news from The Onion's twitter feed deserves to be ridiculed.

ANY, and I repeat, ANY indication that there is a hostage situation, or gunfire at the Capitol, MUST be investigated IMMEDIATELY.

Anything else would be TRULY idioitc.

It shouldn't be this hard.

That is a major difference.

And there is no reason to assume that anyone is "getting their breaking news" from the Onion twitter feed. But people getting a tweet, glancing at it, and going "Oh ****" - that could easily happen. And I suspect that what happened is that some of those people called the Capital about it, so the Capitol police made a statement.

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 03:58 PM ----------

Tweets mean you are actively following the ONION.

Tweets mean you know they are fake.

you then reported said fake info to the police?

That person is he problem.

Exactly. You said it much better than I did.

From the ONION, if you're following the Onion then you know what the Onion is. This is like getting a news update from The Daily Show, are you going to think serious first or satire? Normal thinking people who use the grey matter between their ears think satire first, others panic first.

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 09:25 PM ----------

ANY, and I repeat, ANY indication that there is a hostage situation, or gunfire at the Capitol, MUST be investigated IMMEDIATELY.

Anything else would be TRULY idioitc.

It shouldn't be this hard.

If the Capital Hill Police are following the Onion to patrol the Hill then they all deserve to be fired.

Archived