Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Vikings' McNabb Won't Alter Motion, Footwork

Boss_Hogg

I think Mcnabb is currently an awful QB. That being said, I have to admit that it's rather insulting for an unproven coach to come in and try to tell a 34 year-old former Pro Bowler that he has mechanical issues. What does the coach expect at this point? The man is at the tail end of his career. It's way too late to be fixing his mechanics. Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be for the Wizards coach Leonard Hamilton to spend time at practice trying to fix Michael Jordan's jumpshot mechanics? I realize Mcnabb is no Jordan, but my point is that it's simply not feasible to get a guy to change his mechanics when he's that deep into his career.

They should have seen these flaws before the trade. Instead of wasting time fixing his mechanics (which likely will never be fixed at this point - you can't change a player's game in the 9th inning), they should be spending extra time in the film room or adjusting the playcalling to cover up his weaknesses. Either that, or bench him. You can change a rookie's mechanics...sometimes. You can't change a guy's mechanics this late in the game, and it would just make Mcnabb look like a fool at practice to be going over basic QBing drills instead of gameplanning.

This quote made me laugh pretty good:

"I defend mechanics too!

All that work under things... oily, greasey, smelly... Mechanics are overall good, honest, hard-working Americans.

Sure, there's a bad mechanic here and there. Most of them simply lack the talent needed to truly fix things and should probably look for other work.

Leave mechanics out of this, McNabb. You make a lot more money than they do!

Besides, you've been a choke artist since day one with Philly."

McNabb is indefensible at this point, but why was none of this apparent before we threw away draft picks on him? Is Andy Reid that brilliant a stage magician? 'Cuz that would be far beyond his standing as a coach.

An unanswerable question I know, but it does make me wonder just exactly how we allowed ourselves to get scrood this way.

Seems like a lot of folks in the sports media owe the Shanahans an apology (I'm looking at you, Wilbon).

None of them will do it, though.

I think a lot of fans owe them an apology as well. Most of them won't do it either. They'll either just try to bury their past statements under the ground, or they'll use exemplars like, "They still handle the situation wrong."

How were they supposed to handle that situation? They tried doing it without telling the world that McNabb sucked, but the media and Mcnabb pushed more and more until they had to just come out with it. Then, they were called liars and ridiculed for trying to not publicly throw the guy under the bus. People said THEY handled it wrong? People then jumped on Shanahan's "ego." Yeah, the guy was so egotistical that he immediately admitted his mistake by benching the guy and trying something else, then getting rid of him as fast as he could. A lot of people owe the Shanahans apologies.

:ols: Sounds Familiar

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7035565/donovan-mcnabb-minnesota-vikings-defends-motion-footwork

Wait, I thought it was all Mike Shanahan's fault? Wasn't it his racist offense that drove #5 out of town?

I really like this...

Last year it was "Why would Mike Shanahan mess with a Hall of Fame QB?!" Now no one questions Leslie Frazier. Interesting...

Isn't it a little late in the game to be altering his throwing motion and footwork. Those are probably so ingrained that any changes would likely do more harm than good. Granted, I am not an NFL QB coach. It's just as likely that I don't know what-the-****-I-am-talking-about.

actually i think that has to do with the fact that you are a cowboys fan in SC, but you know, whatev's :)

Is Andy Reid that brilliant a stage magician? 'Cuz that would be far beyond his standing as a coach.

Well apparently he'd be a lot better off just being a QB coach on a team. His offense can't win in the playoffs but every QB who has ever started for his team has looked like a pro bowler. Garcia and Feely even had better records and stats than McNabb but they weren't the franchise QB so they didn't keep the job.

McNabb, like Favre, is extremely overrated.

Archived