Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Ryan Kerrigan is Making a Good First Impression

rd421

20110929-143743.jpg

When the Washington Redskins were on the clock back in Aprils NFL Draft, most people expected the pick to come in quickly for Missouri Quarterback Blaine Gabbert.

Gabbert had been considered by Draft Gurus as a top 5 pick in this years draft. When he slipped past the Bills and the Titans took Washington QB Jake Locker (who was considered a perfect for the Redskins), it gave Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan the perfect opportunity to draft and groom their next Franchise Quarterback.

The Redskins had been on the wrong end of a long line of failed QB’s for the better part of a decade, and the Donovan McNabb debacle had left most wondering how desperate the Skins were to take a QB.

Leading up to the draft rumors started circling that the Skins were working on a few trade scenarios that would grant them a high as the number two pick in order to draft Gabbert.

Wrong…

Bruce and Mike traded out of the ten spot, swapping picks with Jacksonville and picking up a 2nd round pick in the process. When they were on the clock again they took Perdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan.

Like most, I was pretty shocked at the Kerrigan pick. Don’t get me wrong the Redskins defense needed help with the pass rush, but when you have the opportunity to draft your next franchise QB you HAVE to take it right? Don’t forget (even though it is becoming easy to) Kerrigan was drafted to play OLB but had never played in coverage at Perdue. He was a 4-3 DE that excelled at rushing the passer not dropping back. He would have to learn a completely new position/scheme in the middle of a lockout that kept him from his coaches.

As the lockout progressed and went deeper and deeper into the summer, I figured Kerrigan would be a hugely impacted from the lost time. He was not able to have any contact with coaches and every day lost was crucial time that he could have spent learning the nuances of his new position.

During Camp I fully expected Kerrigan to wander around the field lost (ala Andre Carter last year), but the thing I failed to realize is this; Ryan Kerrigan gets it. He is the prototypical dream player that every coach wishes they had. Sure he has made mistakes but, he is the rare type of player who corrects those mistakes after one time and never makes them again.

The preseason was a mixed bag for Ryan, showing great ability to create pressure on the QB, but also getting hit with penalties that were the direct result of mental errors and honestly a lack of experience playing linebacker. Instead of just reacting Ryan had to become a more cerebral player, understanding what opposing offenses were trying to do.

It did not take long to realize that Kerrigan was going to be getting national media attention, and the attention of the league sooner than later. Going into week one no one really knew what to expect. Would the game be too big, too fast? No doubt Redskins fans were optimistic, but with a rookie you really just never know.

Continue Reading Here

I loved the pick. I didnt want Gabbert. Switching to the 3-4 I actually was pleading(to myself, of course) for the Skins to find a way to get more picks in the draft & bulk up the front 7. When they traded down, added picks & used their first two picks on Kerrigan/Jenkins I was extremely happy. Of course Jenkins is out for the year, however, he looked strong, smart, and had a high motor. He looks to be a great addition up front when healthy next year. What a coup. As for Kerrigan, this guy is the frontrunner for DROY thus far... Steal @ #16 :)

I loved the pick. I didnt want Gabbert. Switching to the 3-4 I actually was pleading(to myself, of course) for the Skins to find a way to get more picks in the draft & bulk up the front 7. When they traded down, added picks & used their first two picks on Kerrigan/Jenkins I was extremely happy. Of course Jenkins is out for the year, however, he looked strong, smart, and had a high motor. He looks to be a great addition up front when healthy next year. What a coup. As for Kerrigan, this guy is the frontrunner for DROY thus far... Steal @ #16 :)

While it would be nice it is WAY too early to talk DROY alot can happen between now and then.

---------- Post added September-29th-2011 at 04:45 PM ----------

While it would be nice it is WAY too early to talk DROY alot can happen between now and then.

Archived