Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you see the shift in power in the NFL?

RichmondRedskin88

Isn't this all just the nature of the league? Honestly, I hate parody -- I mean parity. Really, it's a crapshoot. How many games are decided on the last possession? It's nice to the the Redskins West (Raiders) do well, but I'm not sure there are any real powerhouses now. The Pats did it and the Steelers seem close in the salary cap/FA era, but even they have a hard time sustaining things.

I'm not a big MLB fan, but I am happy to have a good idea who is going to compete year in and out. Remember, many of us learned to like the Skins when JKC was bankrolling wins. It took more than deep pockets, sure, but deep pockets helped.

So the shift is every year. Any team's an injury away from craptasticness.

Going back to its inception, the NFL has pretty much always had a high level of parity and that high level of parity is what attracted me to the NFL in the first place. I would say the Pats, Steelers and Colts have dominated the last decade as much or more than any other team dominated a 10 season or so period except maybe the Lombardi Packers and the 70s Steelers.

The thing that makes me think the change isn't that dramatic yet is that the Steelers, Colts and Patriots and represented the AFC in the Super Bowl in each of the last 8, and 9 of the last 10 seasons. I see that repeating this year. The Colts obviously aren't going to be there, but I don't see the Texans, Bills, Raiders, Jets, Ravens, Chargers or Titans getting past the Steelers and Patriots in the playoffs this year either.

For the AFC, it looks to be a new era. NFC? Same old stuff.

The problem with the weaker NFC is you can never tell who will represent in the NFC in super bowl. Experts can pick 3 teams that will be contenders before the season starts...and those 3 teams don't even make the playoffs. NFC hasn't had a consistent legit team since the Eagles of the early 2000s.

In the NFC, it's up for grabs. I wouldn't surprise me if a team like the Rams makes a hot run at the end of the season, just lucks out to make it in the playoffs with a 8-8 record (Because they win their ****ty west division), shockingly destroys teams in the playoffs and wins/looses in a close super bowl. In the NFC...holding a 14-2 record doesn't mean **** anymore. Home field advantage isn't working.

I believe in the Lions and Bucs on the come up, but not sold on the Bills at all, I don't see how you can say that when the only reason they were able to edge NE is from a few lucky bounces (Mr. Brady's worst day in a LONG time, not to mention NE has THE WORST defense in the whole NFL right now... and who else did they beat, an average Raiders team with a good running back, and the worst team in the NFL Kansas City.

Since the inception of the NFL, no team has never suffered a significant period of suck

Wait... what?

Ask Spurrier about the Buccaneers. Suck.

---------- Post added September-29th-2011 at 09:18 PM ----------

Ryan Grant, Finley, etc. They were ravaged by them last season.

No, my point wasn't that you couldn't have depth, but that any team is one guy away from suckige. GB had better depth than most in the last 10-15 years, sure, I concede your point. But the depth of teams in general is much, um, shallower than it used to be. I don't think you can argue that. More importantly, it's harder to stock your team with quality backups with hats of cash like, say, JKC could do in the 80s.

The Bills are a scrubby team with lots of heart and good coaching. I doubt they will remain good for this season, much less a new era. And the Redskins, I am optimistic like pretty much all of us, but we are nowhere near good enough right now to be considered heirs to the nfl throne.

However as for the NFC East by itself, the Skins are the only team trending up. The Eagles are the best at the moment (and thats not even a sure thing) but their veteran FA contracts, their fragile, aging franchise QB, and unconventional personnel are going to start catching up with them. The Giants lost several key players this year and are at the salary cap, it would not shock me if they are at the bottom of the division in the near future. And the Cowboys are trending sideways as long as Romo sits to pee is their QB and Jerry Jones is making all the decisions. Considering we don't have a franchise QB and we have marginal talent at several positions, the fact that we are basically on par with 2 or all 3 of the other teams should be a sign that we will end up at the top soon.

Funny how after three games everyone is anointing several teams - including the Skins as a shift in power! That is laughable , I gaurentee the same 4 teams, outside of the Manningless Colts will be playing in January. The Skins don't have a quarterback to take them into the next year let alone the next 5. Romo sits to pee and Vick will continue to get banged up and the Giants are actually the favorites to grow into a power in the NFCE. Every year it's the same thing, 2-3 teams start out hot and fade, not even close to a shift yet. Lets see how these teams do when it really counts - like in Playoffs if they even can get there.

I agree with the Op as well...I so long for the days where the Redskins, Browns, Raiders, Dolphins, etc will be good again...takes me back to being a kid.

But yeah, it's time that the Colts, Patriots and Steelers fans start feeling the "hard times" liek the rest of us mortals.

I don't even recognize this league anymore.

However, can we go back and look at the last time that the Lions were a major NFC threat and the Bills were a major AFC threat?

Yeah, we sorta kinda won the Super Bowl.

It's not even a shift so much as a pole reversal. I say this with confidence: It's not our year, but for the next many years, the NFC East teams who are not the Redskins are ****ed.

---------- Post added September-30th-2011 at 06:19 PM ----------

Funny how after three games everyone is anointing several teams - including the Skins as a shift in power! That is laughable , I gaurentee the same 4 teams, outside of the Manningless Colts will be playing in January. The Skins don't have a quarterback to take them into the next year let alone the next 5. Romo sits to pee and Vick will continue to get banged up and the Giants are actually the favorites to grow into a power in the NFCE. Every year it's the same thing, 2-3 teams start out hot and fade, not even close to a shift yet. Lets see how these teams do when it really counts - like in Playoffs if they even can get there.

Might want to wash your entire arm with how far you had to reach up to pull that out.

The Bills beat the Patriots to go 3-0. The Lions are dominating. That's not debatable.

Where you got the idea that the Giants are the favorites to grow into a power in the NFC East (uh, they were a fluke punt return from being division champions and won the Super Bowl three years ago) is not charted on any map.

For so many years it was the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts of the NFL. I think we're beginning to see a shift in power. The Bills rising up, the Lions are back up, and Redskins are looking alright. I think the next couple of years we will see a serious shift power in the NFL. Its already started.

You can't be real....We don't even have a QB.

Archived