Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you see the shift in power in the NFL?

RichmondRedskin88

Im seeing a shift big time but to me its the teams that can throw it all over the place that are taking over. I think having a team that is built to run the ball is going to be a thing of the past. However it will be interesting to see what happens when the cold weather hits and if teams can keep this up.

And i would not include the Skins in there right now.

Same could've been said about the Chiefs last season. Look at them now. The power is in the teams that can sustain it over a long stretch of seasons. We all hear about that Cinderella story type team making the playoffs.(Bills) But can they sustain the early success that they're having? Only time will tell with that,but i'm guessing not.

I wouldnt put the skins in that category at all yet. Its very likely that we'll have early growing pains next season with a new,young quarterback. So its possible we might be considered a feasible threat in 2-3 years. Me personally,while a great season feels great,a great stretch of seasons feels better.

I'd still put the Pats and Steelers,the Colts(with a healthy Manning) and the Packs as the teams with the most power.

Three games guys. Three games.

While I agree there are lots of up and comers, please look at the QBs on the three teams you think are losing the power.

KC, TB, and others last year were supposed to be even better this year. You cannot look at three games and think the power shift has started.

Three games guys. Three games.

While I agree there are lots of up and comers, please look at the QBs on the three teams you think are losing the power.

KC, TB, and others last year were supposed to be even better this year. You cannot look at three games and think the power shift has started.

After preseason and three games I think it is ok to stick a fork into KC and INDY though.

Isn't this all just the nature of the league? Honestly, I hate parody -- I mean parity. Really, it's a crapshoot. How many games are decided on the last possession? It's nice to the the Redskins West (Raiders) do well, but I'm not sure there are any real powerhouses now. The Pats did it and the Steelers seem close in the salary cap/FA era, but even they have a hard time sustaining things.

I'm not a big MLB fan, but I am happy to have a good idea who is going to compete year in and out. Remember, many of us learned to like the Skins when JKC was bankrolling wins. It took more than deep pockets, sure, but deep pockets helped.

So the shift is every year. Any team's an injury away from craptasticness.

There is a power shift, however we won't perpectually be there unless we get a franshise quarterback or by some miracle Rex or Beck are it.

The reason Buffalo, Tampa, Atlanta, Detroit, etc. are rising is because they have good young quarterbacks. As it always is, the mighty go by the way of their quarterback. As Peyton, Tom, Ben, and Philip get older there will be guys in the league that take their place.

Oakland is very close to coming back to relevance.

Definitely agree. In fact, I'd say if they beat NE this weekend they're definitely relevant.

IMO, they have the current titleholder of "Best RB in the NFL" in Darren McFadden. Card carrying badass.

~Bang

Definitely agree. In fact, I'd say if they beat NE this weekend they're definitely relevant.

IMO, they have the current titleholder of "Best RB in the NFL" in Darren McFadden. Card carrying badass.

~Bang

Damn straight.

Marcel Reece is a badass FB, and Jacoby Ford definitely has the potential to wow the league. Rolondo McClain is paying dividends. They're ahead of us, imo.

I think the NFC is becoming dominant again. 3 out of the last 4 SBs have gone to the NFC. Teams like NO and GB are becoming the powerhouses. Brady and Manning are a few seasons to retirement and there are lots of upcoming teams like the Lions, Falcons and Bucs.

There are AFC shifts too, I agree with Buffalo, Oakland, Houston NYJ, etc.

I think the NFC is becoming dominant again. 3 out of the last 4 SBs have gone to the NFC. Teams like NO and GB are becoming the powerhouses. Brady and Manning are a few seasons to retirement and there are lots of upcoming teams like the Lions, Falcons and Bucs.

There are AFC shifts too, I agree with Buffalo, Oakland, Houston NYJ, etc.

NYJ are on the downturn. Their O-line and D-line are worse than they were in recent years prior and Mark Sanchez is basically a physically superior Rex Grossman.

With Ryan Mallett waiting in the wings,i dont see the Patriots falling off that much. Now i know i cant compare Mallett to the greatest QB in history possibly but they picked up a good maybe even great qb to groom. When Brady hangs up his cleats i think they'll do fine. Same could be said about Aaron Rodgers when he stepped in for Favre. A good organization has the foresight to stay competitive.

Same could've been said about the Chiefs last season. Look at them now. The power is in the teams that can sustain it over a long stretch of seasons. We all hear about that Cinderella story type team making the playoffs.(Bills) But can they sustain the early success that they're having? Only time will tell with that,but i'm guessing not.

I wouldnt put the skins in that category at all yet. Its very likely that we'll have early growing pains next season with a new,young quarterback. So its possible we might be considered a feasible threat in 2-3 years. Me personally,while a great season feels great,a great stretch of seasons feels better.

I'd still put the Pats and Steelers,the Colts(with a healthy Manning) and the Packs as the teams with the most power.

If they still has Weis they would be...

Since the inception of the NFL, no team has never suffered a significant period of suck and only two or three team have never seen a significant period where they were decent or better. Over the last 35 years, there are only a few teams that have not gone at least 10 straight years without being better than mediocre and a couple of those teams are now considered among the worst. Significant power shifts occur in the NFL about every 10-15 years and minor shifts occur with even greater frequency. This actually reminds me of a conversation I had with some 20 something Sunday when we saw the Bills win, he looked at me and asked if the Bills had ever been good or the Patriots bad. Made me feel old that I had to tell him the Bills of the 90s were among the most dominant teams at the time and the Pats have usually been mediocre or even sucked. Of course, the first thing that usually happens when there is a power shift is that the old power teams begin to fade and miscellaneous teams jump up to fill the breach for a season or two. For example, Dallas began to fade at the end of the Staubach era and the Eagles stepped up for a couple of years until the Redskins took over the role. Interestingly, when the Aikman era pretty much ended, the Redskins sort of took the role the Eagles played about 20 years earlier while they sort of took over the Redskins role from that period.

For so many years it was the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts of the NFL. I think we're beginning to see a shift in power. The Bills rising up, the Lions are back up, and Redskins are looking alright. I think the next couple of years we will see a serious shift power in the NFL. Its already started.

What sucks is it's instantly clear that the Colts are tanking the season and gonna end up with Luck. The NFL should not allow the Colts to get Luck damn it.

There is certainly something of a shift in power.

The Colts started to decline last year, and as serious as this Manning injury is, who knows how time he has left? Plus, they've whiffed on their draft picks for a while: Anthony Gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, Mike Pollack, Fili Moala, Jerry Hughes and Pat Angerer. Those are your Colts 1st and 2nd round draft picks 2007-2010.

The Patriots are still looking good, but their defense stinks. When they were winning Super Bowls, they were riding a great defense. Also, if Brady declines, everything about their offense changes. Brady is 34, about the age when decline is eminent. However, fortunately for the Patriots, Brady's game is more about reading defenses and smart audibles than physical dominance. So, he could stay on top for a while. Either way, they aren't anywhere close to the team they were 4 years ago.

The Steelers are still really good(I don't think that close game against the colts means anything.) As has always been the case you wonder how long Roethlisberger can be effective taking as many hits as he does. He's still only 29, but his style of play makes it seem like his career will be shorter than the average superstar quarterback. Adding to the that, he's the complete opposite of what I said about Brady. Roethlisberger's game is not about smart efficient play, it's about physical dominance. So, that should start disappearing once he hits about 32-33. Also, the Steelers have been really good for a long time, and I don't see them going away.

That, along with the Packers, Falcons, Lions and Buccaneers (I'm not quite buying the Bills yet) emergence as contenders, means that something is changing. I'm just not sure how dramatic that is yet.

Archived