Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tennessee team suffers Facebook flub

frostyj

LINK

Updated Sep 28, 2011 3:37 PM ET

Mothers often complain about their kids’ rooms being too messy. But the nagging doesn’t always happen on Facebook— and doesn’t always carry heavy consequences.

For a pair of high school athletes in Tennessee, their mother’s use of social media to voice her displeasure is resulting in more than just extra chores. Two brothers, Rodney and Ryan Belasic, have been declared ineligible to play for the Perry County High football team because their family does not meet the county’s residency requirements.

How did the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association learn about the family’s residency status? Through a Facebook post by the Belasic brothers’ mom, according to the Nashville Tennessean.

According to TSSAA Executive Director Bernard Childress, school officials were led to believe that the entire family had moved to Perry County over the summer. But opposing coaches threw a red flag on the mother, who revealed a bit too much on a seemingly harmless Facebook post.

"But the mother actually works in Henry County, and she posted on her Facebook page that she sent the kids back to Perry County for the week and that she would not see them again until Friday night," Childress said. "Then, later on her Facebook page, she posted, 'How can two boys mess up their room as badly as they do when they're only here on Saturday and Sunday?'"

That post was enough to bring the heat from the TSSAA. The brothers’ transfer to the district was denied and the Perry County High football team had their first three victories of the season rescinded.

Thanks, Mom.

---------

How does this get put into print?!!

Very confusing. Her children live in Perry Co while she lives in Henry Co. There seems to be missing something from this story.

What is missing?

High school football team cheats the district.

What is interesting is that "Football team suffers from facebook post" is what is put into print.

What it should read is "Football team busted for cheating and gets what they deserve"

~Bang

This is the new age Darwinism...stupidity and weakness is discovered not through death but by social media
And in this case you can prove a direct link to the idiocy of the parent and the education of their spawn. She will, no doubt, fault their messy rooms for the predicament, rather than her uncontrollable desire to bore the world with her musings.

I've saw this sort of thing firsthand when I was in high school. I dated a girl from a rival high school; she had a younger brother who was extremely good at baseball. They were districted to a school that wasn't particularly good at sports in general, and is one of the smaller AAA high schools in Northern Virginia. Their solution was for the brother and father to move in with friends in a different district, where they stayed during the week. This arrangement lasted for four years, and he was able to play at a different school, be the starting QB on the football team, and play on a baseball team that won a state championship. He got more exposure and got a college scholarship.

I'm surprised more hell wasn't raised about it. This kid was the youngest in the family; his older siblings all went to the local high school, so the evidence was right there. Maybe the act of physically living in another house was enough to skirt the rules, who knows.

I've saw this sort of thing firsthand when I was in high school. I dated a girl from a rival high school; she had a younger brother who was extremely good at baseball. They were districted to a school that wasn't particularly good at sports in general, and is one of the smaller AAA high schools in Northern Virginia. Their solution was for the brother and father to move in with friends in a different district, where they stayed during the week. This arrangement lasted for four years, and he was able to play at a different school, be the starting QB on the football team, and play on a baseball team that won a state championship. He got more exposure and got a college scholarship.

I'm surprised more hell wasn't raised about it. This kid was the youngest in the family; his older siblings all went to the local high school, so the evidence was right there. Maybe the act of physically living in another house was enough to skirt the rules, who knows.

This type of thing goes on all the time in Fairfax County ... its one of the reasons Westfield got so good ... They recruit.

What is missing?

High school football team cheats the district.

What is interesting is that "Football team suffers from facebook post" is what is put into print.

What it should read is "Football team busted for cheating and gets what they deserve"

~Bang

You're assuming the team knew.

This is a problem we have here. Residency isn't decided by the team, or the school, it's the district. And sometimes kids come here and their parents live in the city. Problem is, they use the grandparents address, and there's pretty much nothing you can do to verify until someone makes a mistake.

Sometimes, it's a case of divorce, where one parent lives in one place and the other elsewhere. And while it may seem unlikely to people who don't see it all the time, it's difficult for people to really know what's going on a lot of times in these kids lives, even if they have good relationships with them.

The culprit here is the mother/father/kids for trying to cheat the system. Don't blame the school.

What high school did he end up going to, in order to purposly avoid McLean High. Seriously, a crappy football/baseball team is somewhat overshadowed by a pretty damned good public school overall... no?

Sure it does. Kids from bad neighborhoods and bad schools stay with relatives or friends so they get to attend a school in a better zip code.

Absolutely. After my parents split and we went to live with my mom in a not so good area, she used different addresses of friends and family for years to keep us in better schools.

Archived