Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congratulations and good luck Stephen Davis

Jim Gehman

Former Redskins running back Stephen Davis is among the 11 first-year eligible modern-era candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2012. The HOF Selection committee will now whittle the list of 103 nominees down to 25 semifinalists, and that list will be announced in mid-November

Davis’ September to Remember

After filling in at fullback for an injured Larry Bowie in 1998, fourth-year veteran Stephen Davis was ready to return to the halfback position and carry the load for the Redskins in 1999. The only thing was that second-year running back Skip Hicks had the same idea.

“I knew that [Washington head coach] Norv Turner was a guy that liked to run the ball with different types of movements that he had in his offense,” said Davis. “And my main concern was to just win the starting job because I was competing with Skip Hicks. I paid the dues and I did everything as far as to get me into that position to compete for the starting job.”

Davis won the job and was in the starting lineup when Washington hosted Dallas in the season opener on September 12. He carried the ball 24 times for 109 yards and scored two touchdowns in the 41–35 loss.

The Following week, the Redskins traveled to the New Jersey Meadowlands, a site where they had lost on five of their last six visits, to meet the New York Giants. Taking a 21-point lead in the opening quarter on three touchdown runs of 1, 1, and 19 yards by Davis, Washington won, 50–21. That was the team’s highest total since scoring 56 against Atlanta on November 10, 1991. Davis finished with a game-high 126 yards on 23 carries. “The thing that I remember most is that our offensive line was blocking very well. And I know that we scored a lot of points,” Davis said. “[One other] thing that I remember is that we were going for a first down on third-and-1 or fourth-and-1 and the whole Giants defense thought I was down, but I wasn’t. I popped out to the left side and [ran 19 yards for a touchdown].”

The Redskins were back in the Meadowlands a week later on September 26 to play against the New York Jets. And even though Davis came up seven yards shy of cracking the century mark for a third consecutive game, he did find the end zone three more times to help Washington win, 27–20. “Going into that game I knew that [New York’s running back] Curtis Martin was having a good year…and I just wanted to go out there and compete and do the best I can and basically show everybody what I could do,” Davis said.

With 328 yards and eight touchdowns in the first three games, by the time the month of September came to an end, assuredly the rest of the NFL knew what Davis could do. And if they didn’t, surely they did by the end of the season when he broke Terry Allen’s team record with 1,405 yards. “Considering that the record I broke belonged to a guy that I looked up to, it was great,” said Davis, who was selected to play in the Pro Bowl. “When I first got in the pros, he took me under his wing and taught me how to be a pro. He taught me the toughness of it, what it takes day in and day out, and how to use things to my advantage as far as my size and everything. And just being able to have the opportunity to do that and to go out there and do that in the fashion that I did was great.”

Excerpt from “Then Gibbs Said to Riggins…”

Stephen Davis ended up running for 1,444 yards for a Panthers team with a spotty passing game. If only he had been a starter earlier in his career he would have amassed 10,000 yards rushing. Favorite run was in 1999 against the Giants in week 2 after the Cowboys came back on us in week 1 down 35-14 when Davis ran in the middle of the line then bounced it outside for like a 20 yard touchdown run.

---------- Post added September-28th-2011 at 05:24 PM ----------

I pretty much rooted for the Panthers the whole 2003 season because it was so stupid that the Redskins got rid of him.

Nice for him to be nominated.

But I doubt it will ever go beyond that.

Good luck regardless Stephen. You were one of the few bright spots on some pretty darn poor Redskins teams the late 90's. The '99 playoff season will never be forgotten when you were an absolute monster of a back. As Bang mentioned, you don't get the recognition for that 4 year span from '99 through '02 that you deserve from us.

Hail.

Good luck to a great player. Just looked up his stats-man Spurrior is an idiot. Why would you ever let that guy go? Also, read that he signed a one-day deal to retire a Panther. That kinda bummed me out.

Still though, a great Redskin and a great player. Shame we dumped him like that.

Sorry Davis. You were a good RB, but you're not a HOF game. You'll be among the first cut. That is unless getting your ass kicked by one of your WRs is an unrealized qualification. :ols:

westbrook_zoom.jpg

You, sir, are a douchebag of the highest order and far from what I would consider a real Redskin fan.

As for SD, one of the best we've ever had but still a ways from HOF worthy.

Archived