Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Important are the Foods we Eat?

Koolblue13

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

For me, it's really important, so I'll say 9. I'm pretty knowledgable about nutrition, and I know what type of foods (and what they contain) that I need to limit how much of it I put in my body, or avoid it all together. I eat very healthy for someone my age. I cook a lot of my own food, and I get a lot of it from local farmers markets.

Don't get me wrong though, I still have days where I pretty much eat whatever I want, but for the most part, I know what I'm putting into my body everyday, so in the end, I can manage to eat a little poison every now and then and get away with it.

I find it pretty easy. I have a timely grocery shopping schedule and I don't waste money on chips, cookies, sodas, beer etc. I cook chicken as my only meat source and the rest is all vegetarian cooking. Learned how to cook from my Mom who is a vegetarian so I don't have to rely on meat too much.

Don't really drink alcohol either. Very rarely and only if I'm meeting friends for happy hour or something, even then I've started to stay away from alcohol during happy hour get-togethers..

I do have my guilty pleasures in Ray's Hell Burger and Tandoori Night's butter chicken. Have to go to Ray's and Tandoori Nights once a month. :)

I've been especially unhealthy and unchallenged the last few years and I'm trying to do a lot of different things in my life, so I started reading about mental strength and diet. I also worried about the fact that most people who get cancer, related to smoking, are the ones who have quit within 5 years, so I'm trying to make my blood system more alkaline to prevent it.

As a vegetarian, I have to monitor what I eat anyway and it's too easy to turn it into a diet of mozzarella sticks and grilled cheeses. :ols:

I've just started eating a whole foods diet, with all certified organic fair trade foods and local vegetables. I haven't paid this much attention to what I eat in a long time and needed some help. Luckily, I have a friend who is very familiar with cooking this way and she is helping me out.

I truly believe food is the reason this country is fat, sick and ignorant. If our diet was better, we wouldn't be so influenced by tv and such.

I'll say 7, with my overall health being a 9. I just love food and beer too much, so I supplement by getting TONS of exercise. I work out at least six hours a week. That way I don't feel bad drinking craft beers with tons of calories or having some red meat from time to time. I basically work my ass off and eat healthy during the week so I can have fun on the weekends.

Depends on many factors.

I don't care if you eat grass every day. For me I eat what I enjoy. Sometimes it is a steak, other times it is a salad.

Perhaps you eat dog, perhaps I eat snake, or gator, or such. (BTW, I know you don't)

I eat what I am hungry for. I love salad, I love steaks, I love beer, I love lot's of food.

Is this your new cause ?

I am very on top of every item that goes in my body now. 95 percent of the stuff you get at the grocery store is junk

You can eat a pretty healthy diet by shopping at the grocery store. I wouldn't say that 95% of it is junk. But, I guess it depends on what you're buying. Half of what ends up in our cart is from the produce section or fresh fish/meats. That's not including organic milk and eggs. It's tough to call any of that "junk" in my book. Granted, with two kids, we do buy some processed crap that they like (microwave pancakes, granola bars, juice boxes, etc.).

10/10 for me too.

Our diets affect our performance, longevity of life, and mood. Having a proper diet is so important for so many functions. But I also believe that you have to enjoy your diet as well. You have to find healthy wholesome things that you like and learn to tolerate some that you don't necessarily like that much as well (if you want to reap the rewards of a positive diet). You also have to make exceptions for yourself like cheat days and being able to forgive slipups and move on.

Some people might not agree with me, but I'm a very active person so I can tell a difference when I'm making poor choices compared to smart ones.

Is this your new cause ?

No, this is an old one I got away from a long time ago. It's the same cause though, I want to open a dog rescue. I'm also interested in other things like urban farming, sustainability, peace.

Personally, I don't have health care and don't want to get sick. I don't want to live forever, but the time I do have, I want to be quality. I've been living in a glorious rut of sex, drugs and rock and roll for about three years now. As much fun as it's been, I need to get out of it and food is the primary thing I need to do that.

You can eat a pretty healthy diet by shopping at the grocery store. I wouldn't say that 95% of it is junk. But, I guess it depends on what you're buying. Half of what ends up in our cart is from the produce section or fresh fish/meats. That's not including organic milk and eggs. It's tough to call any of that "junk" in my book. Granted, with two kids, we do buy some processed crap that they like (microwave pancakes, granola bars, juice boxes, etc.).

The produce at the grocery store is almost as unhealthy as the meat.

I agree that you can find what you need in a grocery store in that 5 percent :)

Smart shoppers will shop like you do, more then half from the produce section.

With kids, yea its an uphill battle. It took my entire 20s to get my eating habits to where they are now :)

Recently I jumped on the 4 hour body bandwagon. Very interesting, and unorthodox meal plan in there

I don't think so, because if you ask me how important it is to maintain a healthy diet, I'd tell you very much so, however if you ask me about my diet it will differ from a healthy diet.

So, is it about what we know, or what we do?

Well, how important is the food you do eat?

I bet if you had a better diet you'd understand the question. :D

I agree that you can find what you need in a grocery store in that 5 percent :)

Smart shoppers will shop like you do, more then half from the produce section.

With kids, yea its an uphill battle. It took my entire 20s to get my eating habits to where they are now :)

Recently I jumped on the 4 hour body bandwagon. Very interesting, and unorthodox meal plan in there

What is the 4 hour body bandwagon? Eating that often?

We limit what we eat out of the kids' arsenal and try to cook healthy meals. We're not perfect, but I've dropped from over 190 a couple years ago to a little over 160 now. I did it more with portion control, but a lot of it was eating at home, eating more produce, and switching to almost exclusively water as my (non-alcoholic) beverage.

I avoid five things: drive-thrus, pizza, Chinese, soda (still drink LOTS of sparking and seltzer water, though), and red meat. If that's not good enough, then so be it. That being said, I've never had a problem avoiding certain foods, I've just always had a problem with limiting my portions.

I think we need a throwback thread title..."Ask KB13".

I have lost weight and gained weight. Eaten crappy and eaten well over both instances. I say eat what you like and like anything else that is life...moderation.

So if food has the ability to prevent disease, make you more intelligent and more active and what the majority of people believe eating smart, is actually not at all, then a balance between crappy food and very crappy food, will be the best way to live your life. Got it. You think food is important, but doesn't matter?

Archived