Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: As a Redskins fan, which is more important to you? A winning season, or beating Dallas twice?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Califan you are killing me. :ols:

Now we just need somebody to come in and start doing mathematical probabilities.

:silly:

Well, it's true lol :yes:..."which is more important, a winning season or beating the Cowboys" can be interpreted too many ways. Some (like you) feel that a winning season shows "progress". I'd rather go 8-8 and sweep the division than go 9-7 and lose every game in the division. A winning season in and of itself doesn't really mean anything. We had a winning season in 2005...and went 5-11 in 2006. We had a winning season in 2007....and haven't had another one since.

So, yeah, I'm sticking with the viewpoint that it depends on what kind of winning season we have...because merely having a winning season doesn't automatically tell me anything.

Well, it's true lol :yes:..."which is more important, a winning season or beating the Cowboys" can be interpreted too many ways. Some (like you) feel that a winning season shows "progress". I'd rather go 8-8 and sweep the division than go 9-7 and lose every game in the division.

See now this is where one of our mathematician whiz kid members should come in here. :silly: I don't think you could realistically expect to do that poorly in your division, and still go 9-7. For me, it's more than likely you at least split your division games to get that record. What happened with Oakland last year was an anomaly.

I've only seen the redskins in the playoffs 3 times in my entire life. I was 2 years old the last time we won the super bowl.

Games like Darrell Green's last game come to mind of games where we had a losing season but Thank God we at least beat Dallas once. Or the 2006 home game were Sean Taylor ran the blocked kick back for the 0:00 game winning FG. I'm at the point where I'm going to love the redskins no matter what they do. All I ask is act like you give a damn and don't get swept by Dallas.

If that makes me a loser, so what? I'm going to be here when some of ya'll leave and come back anyway.

Hail. :helmet:

:wewantd:

PS: What's the saying, there's always next year???

Games like Darrell Green's last game come to mind of games where we had a losing season but Thank God we at least beat Dallas once. Or the 2006 home game were Sean Taylor ran the blocked kick back for the 0:00 game winning FG. I'm at the point where I'm going to love the redskins no matter what they do. All I ask is act like you give a damn and don't get swept by Dallas.

You are from Norfolk I see, and I wonder if we are conditioned to hate Dallas more in the DMV because of all the rejects that grew up here that became Dallas fans for some reason. They only did it to go against the grain, and unfortunately Dallas beats us most of the time. I think we play right into their hands most of the time. We get all revved up for the game, we build it up and build it up and build it up...the Skins end up losing, and then because we talked so much **** and built the game up so much it's even more painful to put up with their ribbing us all week afterwards. Hence, we hate them even more.

edit: I guess my point, is that it doesn't have to be that way. We can let go of the sweep Dallas thing, or JUST beat Dallas thing, and worry more about the games before and after that one.

See now this is where one of our mathematician whiz kid members should come in here. :silly: I don't think you could realistically expect to do that poorly in your division, and still go 9-7. For me, it's more than likely you at least split your division games to get that record. What happened with Oakland last year was an anomaly.

Us sweeping the Cowboys and only going 2-14 would be an anomaly as well, though lol...unless the Cowboys were even crappier than we would be and went 0-16 :ols:...but that 2-14 scenario has already been mentioned in this thread at least once. :yes:

Games like Darrell Green's last game come to mind of games where we had a losing season but Thank God we at least beat Dallas once. Or the 2006 home game were Sean Taylor ran the blocked kick back for the 0:00 game winning FG. I'm at the point where I'm going to love the redskins no matter what they do. All I ask is act like you give a damn and don't get swept by Dallas. .

Here, here :applause: :cheers:....Doing well in the division is SO important to me that I can't easily dismiss being swept by ANY of the teams unless the Skins go 14-2 and those two losses are to an NFC East rival or something lol.

When it comes to showing progress, going 6-0 in the division is paramount. That's why constantly being swept by the Giants and failing to beat an injured Cowboys team means more than simply being "a loss". We did well against the Giants...we need to make sure we do equally well against the NFC East from here on out, regardless of what our final record ends up being.

---------- Post added September-28th-2011 at 02:07 PM ----------

I think if Dallas went 0-16 and we went 2-14 sweeping them, some of our fans would be thrilled with that. :ols: Who the hell needs a Super Bowl championship or playoff berth, we suck ass, but we still beat Dallas. :D

There's a difference between being thrilled that we at least beat Dallas and being satisfied with a 2-win season that involved sweeping Dallas, though.

Every single crappy experience from my life (barring the extremely serious ones) has had at least one gleeful moment in them that I can recall even to this day. That doesn't mean I was happy with the ****ty experience.

The crappy experience of a 2-14 season where we swept the even-crappier Cowboys would be one such moment lol...

---------- Post added September-28th-2011 at 02:08 PM ----------

Anyone voting that 2 wins v. Dallas is more important than a winning season would fit right in with "Red Sox Nation" where the failure of the Yankees is always much more important than the success of the Sox.

I'm glad most of us root for the Redskins first and against the Cowpukes second.

??...How is wanting the Skins to beat the Cowboys "rooting against" Dallas? lol...Wouldn't that be rooting FOR the Redskins?

You are from Norfolk I see, and I wonder if we are conditioned to hate Dallas more in the DMV because of all the rejects that grew up here that became Dallas fans for some reason. They only did it to go against the grain, and unfortunately Dallas beats us most of the time. I think we play right into their hands most of the time. We get all revved up for the game, we build it up and build it up and build it up...the Skins end up losing, and then because we talked so much **** and built the game up so much it's even more painful to put up with their ribbing us all week afterwards. Hence, we hate them even more.

edit: I guess my point, is that it doesn't have to be that way. We can let go of the sweep Dallas thing, or JUST beat Dallas thing, and worry more about the games before and after that one.

Ironically, I'm originally from NOVA, so I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with the cross-overs. But honestly, it's more what the Cowboys have done to me more then their fake-ass fanbase. I wasn't brainwashed into hating Dallas like some. The cowboys earned my hatred, fair and square, over a multitude of many years. And you can't just take the rivalry out of the equation like it doesn't exist, because that's like turning your back on over 40 years of history between the two franchises/fan bases. There really is no need for a build up because anyone that's been through enough games like the above mentioned or even the other day's MNF, the hatred is already there.

Now if the poll question was "2-14 w/ Dallas sweep" vs "Super Bowl Victory", it's almost impossible to not pick superbowl. Almost...

of course, if we beat Dallas Monday night, this thread doesn't exist. I'd be the first to admit that, but it's my self-appointed JOB to try to spin anything into a positive light this year. I can't deal with this place when the chips are down. (most of the time) It's definitely a love/hate relationship. :)

Division wins are almost like getting two wins for the price of one. It knocks a division rival down one game while placing your team up one game. It's a 2-game swing in the winning team's direction. It's a tiebreaker. It pushes you that much closer to a divisional title. Even without the rivalry, beating the Cowboys. If we can go 5-1 in the division (wish I could have said 6-0 lol :mad: ), I'll see that as definite progress.

??...How is wanting the Skins to beat the Cowboys "rooting against" Dallas? lol...Wouldn't that be rooting FOR the Redskins?

It isn't and yes.

That's not the point though. If you would prefer 2 wins v. Dallas over a winning season, then you're not keeping the Skins' best interests in mind are you? So, in my book, you're actually more invested in rooting against the Cowboys in that instance.

of course, if we beat Dallas Monday night, this thread doesn't exist. I'd be the first to admit that, but it's my self-appointed JOB to try to spin anything into a positive light this year. I can't deal with this place when the chips are down. (most of the time) It's definitely a love/hate relationship. :)

Absolutly, agree.

It's hilarious to me that I have yet to see a single thread on the fact we didn't have Stallworth, Hankerson, or Armstrong for this game, yet Grossman and Kyle both suck. This cannot possibly have an effect on our ineffective playaction, thus clogged up running game, leading to more possesions for Dallas to score FG after FG after FG. There's more anger over the 3rd and 21 play then there is respect for the fact we held a division opponent to nothing but FGs in their home stadium on primetime television. Love can cloud logic, or any other intangibles that can be pulled from this game because of the way we lost that game.

It's so painfully familiar...

If we can go 5-1 in the division (wish I could have said 6-0 lol :mad: ), I'll see that as definite progress.

I think a more realistic expectation this season is splitting, or at best 4-2. At my most optimistic, I think we will likely split with the Eagles and win against Dallas at home. 4-2 has to include a sweep of the Giants. I don't see us sweeping Philly. They have too many weapons, even though their lines especially on defense is highly suspect.

I think a more realistic expectation this season is splitting, or at best 4-2. At my most optimistic, I think we will likely split with the Eagles and win against Dallas at home. 4-2 has to include a sweep of the Giants. I don't see us sweeping Philly. They have too many weapons, even though their lines especially on defense is highly suspect.

Historically a sweep of the g-men is more important than anything. IIRC, except for once under Gibbs (1986) , we have never gone deep in the playoffs without sweeping the g-men and have only won the division once (1984) without sweeping them. We also have never gone to the playoffs without having at least once beaten the g-men during the regular season. We've gone all the way to the SB with no regular season victories over Dallas (and vice versa). We've had division winning seasons splitting with Philly.

Archived