Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redzone Fix?

Bigmuss1

Could Hankerson be our answer to the redzone problem? I know he's a rookie, but if they game plan him to be a factor only in the redzone, that shouldn't be too much to learn. To me, the Lions, and other teams score in the redzone by targeting bigger players. (Pats use both of their TE's) Maybe this could be a minor adjustement to help punch into the endzone. If we split Moss out wide or Gaffney or Armstrong, these guys don't physically impose on a D. Safeties don't need to help out, which allows them to stay in the run game. Hankerson is a big target, that could potentially cause other teams to take notice. Perhaps, that's all we have him in for, just a BIG target that a D has to respect. And if it isn't Hankerson, then what about splitting Fred Davis out wide to force double coverage? I dunno the answers, but to keep trying the same thing over and over and getting the same result is the definition of insanity. Our redzone percent has to change or we will be staring 8-8 or worse in the face, even with a great D.

Any other thoughts?

Finally, ive wanted to start a "Red Zone Issues" thread for sooo long (unfortunately cus we can never score in the red zone for the past billion years)... Anthony Armstrong showed that he can be efficient in the endzone fade... Id also like to see two TE sets with a cross in the middle. Anything but running the ball. I think most teams have figured out that we run on first and second and throw for less than first down yardage on third down, and if they havent, they can just watch our game tape... We need simple comeback curl routes in the endzone

I agree, it seems that our play calling does go right to the run as soon as we hit the redzone. I feel any use of our bigger targets will help cause double teams, this could allow another player to win a one on one.

I think in game one against the Giants, we were on the 5 yard line and went empty backfield. This was the play Gaffney scored on, if we are reluctant to use our bigger targets than perhaps it should be an empty set. Allow our smaller recievers to beat the Db's with quickness. I just don't like the 2 TE's in tight with one reciever and 2 backs in the backfield.

Archived