Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kyle Shanahan via Rich Campbell: "We’re not playing to conserve the clock. You’re trying to win, & the best thing we've got to move the ball is throwing it at the time."

KCClybun

No Kyle. No.

It's called situational football, you jerk. The score is 16-15. Your defense is playing pretty solid. You receivers aren't getting open like you want. Your red zone offense is struggling. The entire defense knows you're thinking about passing, because who the hell wouldn't know you were going to pass? You've been pretty steadfast in your refusal to run the football even though you ran the ball up the Cowboys butt to score the only touchdown of the game.

I understanding wanting to win, I understand wanting to be aggressive, but there's something to be said for just playing it safe sometimes. Put 25 back in the game, and grind out the first downs. Did you not notice that Rob Ryan was subbing fresh guys into the game at that point? The Dallas D-line was tired.

If you have to, go for it on fourth down. But at that point, you at at least, at LEAST want to get in field goal range. Because if you grind it out on the ground, there's a good chance you get in Graham Gano's field goal range. And once you're in that range, you can think about attacking a little more.

Playing for the win in this case wasn't putting the game in Rex Grossman's hands to pull it out at the end. I like Rex, a lot. But you sold him out today, Kyle. Big time. YOU put him in a situation where he'd have to come back to win the game.

And don't think you're absolved of blame either, Has. 3 and 21. You just went zero blitz twice. Why call it a third time? Rush four (your defensive front was getting pressure), play coverage at the sticks, and force them to either punt the ball on fourth down, or go for it on fourth down and give you the ball back in field goal range.

But Kyle...I've liked your playcalling thus far. But you're starting to fall for the same trap you fell for last season. I know it's harder to run the ball in the second half of a game, especially in a close game. But you can't just STOP. Quit trying to make your quarterback the hero, and just...play to win. Or you know what? I'll say it; play NOT to lose. Every drive we went down the field, we did it because we ran the ball efficiently and effectively, and they may not have been easy yards, but they were still yards, and time. Sweet precious time.

Oh, and I was scared as hell that Rex said that they pass more, because they have pass plays that work like runs.

NO. NO. That is NOT how you do it. It doesn't work for Andy Reid, it doesn't work here! None of this "we have passing plays that are like runs" bullcrap. The only way you run the ball is to RUN the football.

What you did showed a SUPREME lack of coaching maturity, sir, whether you won the game or not.

Next time this happens, ask yourself a simple question; What would Mike do?

I think Mike would run the football. But that's just me.

Sorry if this has been bought up already.

Didn't like the 1st half two minute drill. You gotta have more than one played called in the huddle and can't bring in new personnel with no TOs. Gaffney also failed to get OB on a play in 1st half and 2nd half. Still 37 pass plays and 22 runs is not a winning formula in a game your leading or tied.

This idiot and DHall need to get gagged by D Snyder. Last year lil Shanny got into a public spat with Mcnabb when it was obvious we needed to dump him. Now, he trashes his zone blocking and running game while trying to defend himself.

Hey Kyle - shut your stupid mouth! Go get some other guys initials tattooed on your body am leave the talking to dad. You aren't the passing coordinator. The running game is part of your area of influence!

I like the aggressiveness, but as OP said, there's a time and a place for everything. 5 minutes to go, up one? Grind the clock. Or run a screen. Don't take chances.

It was like the Lions game last year when we were up 5 late. That game was the beginning of the end for McNabb but losing the Detroit last year was the Shanahans' fault.

This idiot and DHall need to get gagged by D Snyder. Last year lil Shanny got into a public spat with Mcnabb when it was obvious we needed to dump him. Now, he trashes his zone blocking and running game while trying to defend himself.

Hey Kyle - shut your stupid mouth! Go get some other guys initials tattooed on your body am leave the talking to dad. You aren't the passing coordinator. The running game is part of your area of influence!

What did he say? Im getting tired if that Joker being beat on CRUCIAL plays.

Wow, you guys need to change your tampons.

You don't nurse a 1 point lead on the road in Dallas. You treat it like a tie game. Right call to make, they were keying on the run and stacking the line. We just didn't get it done on offense tonight, Rex had a bad night.

Lots of positives to take from this game. Stop acting like a bunch of girls.

As long as we have the opposite thread for the redzone offense, I'm okay with this. Kyle was off the entire game. When it felt we'd open it up, we'd openly pound the run, with little success. When we thought we'd close down, we emptied the backfield with Grossman under center.

Baffled. Really, I'm so glad that Grossman thew the ball away on multiple occasions. However, I think it echoes how we approached this game. Not to lose. I don't fault the d for the long 3rd down completion, we didn't get there on the play, but at least we were aggressive. Same can't be said for the offense. Saw too many run, run, pass for my liking. And the next time Hightower breaks a tackle it'll be the first. Give me Torain any day.

Tough loss. Beat the Rams and save some momentum. Disappointing.

I may be in a minority but I liked the play calling tonight apart from the red zone. We need to be better in the redzone and part of that is switching up the running game in that area - the stretch will not be as effective in the red zone you need to go more North/South - and also being more creative and agressive with the passing game in that area.

We picked up a couple of key first downs in that 5 minutes to go drive and turned the field position around. Dallas got the ball back with a long way to go and we had burned about 3 minutes off the clock. We found little room to run all night so 3 runs and a punt were not the way to go only up by a point IMO.

STFU Dan Steinburg. I hope he has the runs tomorrow morning. Hall is obviously pissed about how it worked out. When you handle the Cowboy offense as much as we did, you expect a win. Hall suck with Bryant as we overloaded the blitz. We somehow managed to not only bring Romo sits to pee down but we allowed him to rollout and have Bryant try three routes. Can't fault the single coverage, the blitz is designed to get there before it happened.

Credit the Dallas offensive line and Dez Bryant. Do people believe he's a playmaker now? Probably not. Let him beat us again another few times before people take our arch rivals seriously.

I think it's a combination of poor play calling, poor pass protection and poor QB play.

Still a lot of holes on this offense.

Actually, when ya look at it...Rex didn't have...okay, he didn't have a GOOD game, technically. His interception was pretty piss poor. But his completion percentage was solid; he's still pretty much a 60 percent thrower. The pass protection was solid for the most part too, until late in the game when Kyle started chucking the ball up. And one of those sacks was complete and utter BS because DeMarcus Ware was offsides.

The problem really is, Kyle doesn't put Rex in situations that suit his game. I like Rex...but he's a game manager. He's not a "GO GET US THE WIN!" quarterback. He's a "we're going to he help you win" quarterback. Abandoning the running game that had worked so well and putting the game in Rex's hands, knowing that Rex is both capable of the incredible big play, and the incredible eff up, and knowing that DeMarcus Ware is wearing out your right tackle...it's not smart football. It's just not, whether he has Rex Grossman and Santana Moss or he has Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson.

It's the fourth quarter, and the defense is subbing guys in because guys are cramping and tired...and you throw the ball? With THIS quarterback? And I'm a Rex fan, but that's not a situation I want Rex to be in, EVER.

I think our players did everything humanly possible to win that game. They made mistakes, but everyone makes mistakes. But the coaches are supposed to help nullify those mistakes, not put guys in situations to make MORE mistakes.

U serious??? 16-15 and we are suppose to nurse the lead?? because our defense is playing amazing??? 4 drives they drove right down the defenses throat to kick field goals...im glad he went for the win good call Kyle i would have been more upset to see 3 Hightower 3 yard runs and then punt the ball. GO FOR THE WIN with a 1 point lead i know Skins fans arent used to it but I liked it nothing wrong with the playcalling im tired of people coming up with genius theories of why we lost. Heres why we lost missed field goal on SPECIAL TEAMS, Didnt take advantage of the Fumble caused by Landry OFFENSE and couldnt hold blomo and the cowboys on 3rd and 21 DEFENSE all three facets of the game had crucial mistakes that cost us the game not playcalling sorry.

Wow, you guys need to change your tampons.

You don't nurse a 1 point lead on the road in Dallas. You treat it like a tie game. Right call to make, they were keying on the run and stacking the line. We just didn't get it done on offense tonight, Rex had a bad night.

Lots of positives to take from this game. Stop acting like a bunch of girls.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with the way we played. I thought our defense, working at full strength, was a sight to behold. Our offensive line held up extremely well against a tough defense. Rex made the throws he could when they were there, and aside from the bad INT, he did what he needed to do to get us in the red zone and get us scoring opportunities.

I thought our players played their asses off tonight. They fought tooth and nail for sixty minutes. Big plays were giving up on both teams, but neither team was going to break. But on the whole, I don't think our players had a bad game. Games against the Cowboys are always going to end up like this. Tough as hell, physical as hell. I think, quite frankly, we kicked the Cowboys butts.

I think our coaches failed our players today. We didn't even try to run the ball. We didn't even try to run any time off the clock. Like I said, it's situational football. Passing with 5 minutes to go, up by a point. Your goal has to be to preserve your lead as long as possible. The Cowboys sniffed out all those "short passes that are kind of like runs". Just run the ball. An incomplete pass still stops the clock. If you run the football, maybe you don't get everything you want out of it, maybe But at least you take time off the clock and don't give them a bunch of time back. I wouldn't even have a problem going for it on fourth down, considering the luck we had with that.

And calling the same play three times on the defensive side of the ball? The Boys were ready for it.

I'm very proud of our players today. I'm especially proud of Trent, and happy Dirty 30 is looking like every bit the beast that he is. Stephen Bowen came in to prove a point. I think our corners did a good job. I'm not even pissed at D-Hall, and not even mad about the facemask, because if he doesn't Dez goes to the end zone and scores a touchdown.

I'm upset that after so many close losses last year, our coaches still don't understand that sometimes, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Between 16-9 and 16-15 before they made it 18-16 the Redskins ran 11 pass plays and 2 runs. That's a little extreme and if your going to pass that much then at least complete most of them, not just 4 of 11.

It was 6 incompletions, 4 completions, 1 sack.

The last drive with the lead we had the ball 1st and 10 at the Dallas 44 with about 4 minutes left in the game. We run 1 then get sacked, then incomplete, punt. They score. It's over. I wonder if running would have been worse? At least an extra minute would have been taken off the clock and who knows, we may have been in field goal range considering all they needed was 10 yards or so. We can't get 10 yards on the ground?

Archived