Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting clip - Herman Cain debates the President on health care...

Dan T.

Some interesting stuff on Cain in the last couple of days. I had predicted a surge for Newt, but it looks like Cain got that action. According to Zogby, he's now ahead of everyone and this happened before the Florida straw poll.

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/blog/cain-tops-gop-field-zogby-poll-perry-drops-20-points

The latest IBOPE Zogby Poll had Perry, who two weeks earlier was the GOP front-runner with 37 percent, now trailing Cain. Cain topped the Republican field with 28 percent, according to the poll of likely Republican voters.

Perry stood at 18 percent in the poll and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney had 17 percent.

Also, I didn't know the man was a Mathematician and Rocket Scientist before the pizza gig.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/cain-nearly-quit-campaign-florida-straw-poll-says-115734617.html

Even though he's known as the "pizza" candidate for his years as head of Godfather's Pizza, his background is much broader than that. After he graduated from Morehouse College with a degree in mathematics and a minor in chemistry in 1968, Cain landed a job as a ballistics analyst for the Department of the Navy, where he was responsible for the calculations that ensured battleship rockets hit their targets.

"It's not an easy thing to do," he said.

Cain later completed a master's degree in computer science and entered the business world where he led several companies--most recently Godfather's--and chaired the National Restaurant Association and the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. His résumé--from mathematician and rocket scientist to restaurateur and now politician--isn't exactly a typical one for a presidential candidate. But Cain said that while his presidential run may look unlikely from the outside, it's actually part of his larger career trajectory of seeking out new ways to test himself.

Interesting clip, thanks for sharing.

I didn't realize that Cain had a science and tech background, cool!

His 999 plan is strange. I thought that sales taxes were traditionally ways for states to raise revenues, therefore a national sales tax is an automatic no-go.

Interesting clip, thanks for sharing.

I didn't realize that Cain had a science and tech background, cool!

His 999 plan is strange. I thought that sales taxes were traditionally ways for states to raise revenues, therefore a national sales tax is an automatic no-go.

There are factions on the right that support getting rid of all income taxes and replacing with a national sales tax. It's called the fair tax. The theory is that it would lower the price of employing people and producing goods, so we'd insource a bunch of jobs and wouldn't have a system of loopholes. They couple the fair tax with very sizable tax credits, especially for the poor. I forget the details, but they make some bold claims about benefits.

So, the idea of a national sales tax is out there. Cain seems to have taken that idea, meshed it with a flat tax idea and created his own plan. He speaks about it as if it was a seriously considered idea and he paid to have it scored by a private accounting firm. He claims it scored very well, though I haven't read the firm's actual report.

Some interesting stuff on Cain in the last couple of days. I had predicted a surge for Newt, but it looks like Cain got that action. According to Zogby, he's now ahead of everyone and this happened before the Florida straw poll.

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/blog/cain-tops-gop-field-zogby-poll-perry-drops-20-points

I couldn't figure it out, but I assume that is a Florida poll, not nationwide? Right?

The one whose climbing in an interesting spot is Huntsman who seems to be in double digits in New Hampshire right now. That's something he could ride if his numbers keep ticking up.

Beware of believing in a Zogby poll.

Zogby may be the worst major pollster out there, and this isn't even a real poll - it's an "interactive" poll. In other words it's a self selected internet thing. Perry may be hitting a rocky stretch, but there is no way he has lost 20 points, all to Herman Cain, in a matter of just a few days.

Herman Cain, really? I mean, REALLY?? If the Tea Party's (read: nutters') stranglehold wasn't obvious already, then it should be obvious now.

He's much better qualified than Obama was in 08. It's not even close.

Beware of believing in a Zogby poll.

Zogby may be the worst major pollster out there, and this isn't even a real poll - it's an "interactive" poll. In other words it's a self selected internet thing. Perry may be hitting a rocky stretch, but there is no way he has lost 20 points, all to Herman Cain, in a matter of just a few days.

I wasn't aware of this, but it makes sense. The only plausible reason that it could jump this high though, IMO, is because Perry supporters are still looking for their candidate.

He's much better qualified than Obama was in 08. It's not even close.

Oh yeah. Executive experience, right?

Cmon' that's really kind of a dumb thing to say. Obama was a law professor, then a state senator, then a US senator. It is true that he wasn't a US senator for very long, and was less seasoned than most candidates, but you aren't comparing him to Gingrich or Perry. You are comparing him to Herman Cain.

Herman Cain has virtually no experience in government at any level . You may think that running a government is the same as running a business, but it really isn't. He would never, ever have been considered a serious candidate for President if the Tea Party hadn't glommed on to him as their token proof that they don't hate black people.

Herman Cain has virtually no experience in government at any level . You may think that running a government is the same as running a business, but it really isn't. He would never, ever have been considered a serious candidate for President if the Tea Party hadn't glommed on to him as their token proof that they don't hate black people.

Is Romney's 4 yrs of govt experience that much greater?

Ya gonna endorse Perry? :evilg:

Is Romney's 4 yrs of govt experience that much greater?

Ya gonna endorse Perry? :evilg:

Yes, Romney's 4 years of high level government service is much greater than Cain's zero years.

Perry has the experience of running a large state for a decade. On paper, he is definitely qualified, and certainly much more qualified than Cain. :)

Perhaps this guy is right

Mitt? Rick? Herman? How much does it matter?

I am thinking more and more that the GOP presidential candidate is a distraction.

Whoever it is will be better much than Mr. Obama, so don’t worry about it. Mr. Obama makes Mitt Romney look like George Washington.

So, what does matter?

http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/24928.html

It seems the right is looking for someone who can beat Obama so bad they are basically just waiting for any sign of the wind to blow in a certain direction and will instantly switch their support to t hat candidate in hoping they catch on beyond a "flavor of the month" appeal.

OR they're listening to what the actual candidates have to say. And frankly, Perry and Romney both are saying things that are unsatisfying to conservatives. That's certainly why I'm supporting Cain (and/or Paul) at this point. They have plausible ideas, that generally mesh with my ideals, that are significantly different from what the more "mainline" candidates have been saying.

He would never, ever have been considered a serious candidate for President if the Tea Party hadn't glommed on to him as their token proof that they don't hate black people.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. And it makes sense. You guys are in a whole heap of trouble if you can't constantly paint your opponents as bigots. (And then, of course, turn around and say we're the reason there's still racial tension. It'd be comical if it wasn't so destructive.)

Mitt? Rick? Herman? How much does it matter?

I am thinking more and more that the GOP presidential candidate is a distraction.

Whoever it is will be better much than Mr. Obama, so don’t worry about it. Mr. Obama makes Mitt Romney look like George Washington.

I keep seeing a reality you appear to ignore (unless you want to just contest how I frame it)---that there exists a large bloc of voters who are independent/moderate and unhappy with much of the Obama admin and yet would vote for him again (however reluctantly) before any of the current GOP crop. So while you can still aruge if you want that any of them would be better in an absolute sense (and I would argue as to why--but won't now-- that at best only a couple MIGHT be better, O's flaws and all), there is still the matter of their electability.

Right now, I think the only one that has a decent chance to win is Romney, and a big reason is because that bloc I described might be willing to tip to him over another go with O. But even that call is very close in both inherent worth of candidate and potential of victory IMV.

Oh yeah. Executive experience, right?

Cmon' that's really kind of a dumb thing to say. Obama was a law professor, then a state senator, then a US senator. It is true that he wasn't a US senator for very long, and was less seasoned than most candidates, but you aren't comparing him to Gingrich or Perry. You are comparing him to Herman Cain.

Wow, that's a pretty racist thing to say, considering there is NO proof of that at all.

Listen to Cain sometime, I mean actually sit down and listen with open ears. He makes a LOT of sense on spending and the economy. He is a very bright man who wants to fix what he sees as wrong with this country. I would love to see him be the candidate, if for nothing more than to see lots of the far Left liberals spontaneously combust with their hatred of conservative ideas but passion to fix all of society's racist ills.

Wow, that's a pretty racist thing to say, considering there is NO proof of that at all.

Sorry, there is nothing racist about what I said unless you define "racism" as simply "talking about race." Nor was I saying that the Tea Party support for Cain comes from racism, or that the tea parties are racist. It's much more subtle than that.

Herman Cain's support comes from the same place that Alan Keyes's support used to come from. Conservatives are acutely aware that they are labelled as racists, and it burns them up. It is a damning charge, and they naturally want to prove it to be false. As a result, they tend to go overboard in their support of black conservatives, as a subconscious way of proving to themselves and others that they are NOT racist. It's actually an honorable impulse, really.

The problem with that is, it means that conservatives enthusiastically support ANY black conservative, even if that black conservative is totally unqualified (like Herman Cain) or batsh*t insane (like Alan Keyes).

I'm perfectly willing to admit that some of the support for Barack Obama came from people who wanted to feel that they finally could vote for an African American for President. The support for Herman Cain is just the other side of the same coin. Conservatives want to feel that they can show support for a black guy too, and it proves that they are not racist, dammit!

Nevertheless, the fact remains that a guy who is the former CEO of Godfather's Pizza would not be standing on that stage (being given equal billing with the Governor of Texas, the former Governors of Massachusetts and Utah, the former Speaker of the House, a two term US Senator, two multiterm Congresspersons) if it wasn't for the fact that he is a black conservative.

And it isn't "racist" to point this out.

Listen to Cain sometime, I mean actually sit down and listen with open ears. He makes a LOT of sense on spending and the economy. He is a very bright man who wants to fix what he sees as wrong with this country. I would love to see him be the candidate, if for nothing more than to see lots of the far Left liberals spontaneously combust with their hatred of conservative ideas but passion to fix all of society's racist ills.

I have listened to him. He is just spouting meaningless Tea Party "common sense" cliches 99 percent of the time (with the sole exception of his 9-9-9 plan, which I have never seen details on and I seriously doubt the numbers add up).

OR they're listening to what the actual candidates have to say. And frankly, Perry and Romney both are saying things that are unsatisfying to conservatives. That's certainly why I'm supporting Cain (and/or Paul) at this point. They have plausible ideas, that generally mesh with my ideals, that are significantly different from what the more "mainline" candidates have been saying.

This is interesting, maybe I misjudged Cain. It was probably because the first time I heard the guy talk was when he gave his spiel on banning mosques. From then on I labled his as a nut.

What, specifically, do you find redeeming?

Archived