Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TOO MUCH Cowboys Gear in This Town!

stwasm

Just a little thread to vent about all the DC-area Cowboys fans. I walked around DC yesterday wearing a Skins t-shirt. I swear, I saw sooooooo many Cowboys jerseys, t-shirts, car flags, and hats that I wanted to vomit! Those guys are like locusts! I felt like someone moved me to Dallas and no one told me. Wonder how many of those people will be sporting their gear after the Skins kick their you-know-whats tonight?

HAIL!

In my opinion, I believe it goes back to George Marshall not wanting to have any African Americans play for the team. .

Nah, it has little if anything to do with that. I have 3 brothers born and raised in Virginia who are Dallas fans and neither of them even know that detail of football history.

A lot of it has to do with family members of Redskins fans as well I think. In my family my grandfather was a Redskins fan so naturally my grandmother and a couple of their kids became Cowpuke fans. Of course most of those types never follow the team and only show up to heckle when the Cowboys play the Redskins, which for about a decade was almost a guaranteed win for them.

If the Redskins thrash them tonight then those people will hide their jerseys for a while until the next time they play the Redskins.

In my opinion, I believe it goes back to George Marshall not wanting to have any African Americans play for the team. Obviously it isn't just African Americans in this area that have Cowboys gear. Then again, I've heard there are many Skins fans in Dallas, so who knows.

Actually, you're right about that. There are a LOT of older blacks that I know -- especially at my church -- who haven't forgotten that and won't forgive it. Of course, they spread those stories to their kids, and, boom, more Cowboys fans. I even had a young woman at my church coaching a kid in her Sunday School class to say, "Go Dallas!" It hurts to type that! What's worse is that our new pastor, even though he grew up in Chicago, is a die-hard Cowboys fan. He's 39, so he's going to be there for a while and will be talking MUCH trash from the pulpit! I got something for him next Sunday!

I live in southern WV and there are a TON of Steelers fans here. I think most of it is bandwagon fans but IDK why the Cowgirls has so many fans. My gpa lives in Fairfax and we got my picture taken in the late mid-late 80's with the Skins at a training camp. Thats why I go the other route. Your situation is a bit more harsh but I just wanted to say that.

Nah, it has little if anything to do with that. I have 3 brothers born and raised in Virginia who are Dallas fans and neither of them even know that detail of football history.

Agreed, I think it has more to do with teenage "I hate my parents" angst that they never grew out of. As an adolescent they knew the best way to rebel and piss off their parents was to become a dallas fan.

This reminds me of my worst Fed Ex experience, ever.

The Sunday night game vs. the Cowboys toward the end of the Zorn era. The place was completely overrun by Cowboys fans. I swear at least half the crowd. They were EVERYWHERE and they were drunk, loud, COVERED in Cowboys schwag and bling, and absolutely took the place over. It was humiliating.

Even my freaking TICKET TAKER was a Cowboys fan. I gave him my ticket, said "Yeah let's do this thing," and the guy who WORKS at Fed Ex, and took my ticket, said "Yeah, Ware gonna be ALL OVER the Redskins' ass tonight."

Of course the Skins stunk up the joint too, which was lovely.

I really hope those days are behind us. As the Skins get better and turn around the misery of the Snyder era, I think this will change. There might not be less Cowboys gear and fans in the area, but as more locals jump back on the bandwagon there will be more Skins gear on display and more Skins fans at Fed Ex, hopefully.

Yeah that's all I see around here. You'd think Richmond was a suburb of Dallas.

Or a suburb of Pittsburgh. Not to hijack the thread, but it was once explained to me that when Pittsburgh fell on hard times, many people moved south to Richmond (I have no idea why). I have never seen so much Steeler and Cowboy stuff as I do here in central VA. It's crazy.

Archived