Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the 'Skins do against the Rams = bigger statement than a W/L vs. Cowboys?

NoCalMike

Hear me out before you reach for the BAN button....lol.

When you look at the history of Redskins/Cowboys games, they are usually close games that either team has a chance to win throughout the game. It is usually never a blowout for either team. Sure some are mixed in here and there, but most of the time it is a one possession game late into the 4th quarter. Often ending on a final drive TD or turnover.

Now, with that said, either fan base should really go into these games expecting the unexpected. It never seems to matter which team is better, which is on a win streak, who has more injuries, who talked more trash, who the starting QB is, etc etc etc etc.....for some reason in THIS RIVALRY it all simply doesn't seem to matter. Maybe that aspect is more of how the rivalry has become in recent years due to both teams having a lot of mediocre seasons over the past decade.

A win over the Cowboys would be great, no doubt. Beating down another division rival, 3-0 start, 2-0 in the division. It would be all good. But for a second lets look at our next game before the bye.

The Rams. This is a Rams team that has looked downright horrible outside of a first couple of good series on opening day against the Eagles. If anything they look to be going backwards as opponents get time to game plan for them properly.

As bad as a loss to the Cowboys would be for all the reasons I mentioned above (same reasons as why a win would be so great), losing to the Rams next week, to me, would make a much bigger statement about where this team is at or should I say not YET at. A win over the Cowboys has become a 50/50 proposition. Romo sits to pee himself is 4-4 vs. the Redskins. Each of those 8 games has had different factors going in, yet the 50/50 outcome has remained a consistent thing. So basically outside of all the "Cowboys are hurt" or "We are for real now" talk, it should be reasonable to expect a close game that could go either way. Basically a game that isn't going to really say one team sucks and the other is headed to the playoffs. That simply isn't something a 24-21 type win or loss vs. the Cowboys is going to say. Especially this early in the season when a mere 2 game win or loss streak still can drastically change up the look of the division.

On the other hand. Losing to a garbage Rams team is the type of loss that to me makes a statement. Which is the 'Skins are still a team that is searching and trying to become a team that has established some type of foundation of being consistently better than AT LEAST the bottom 5-10 teams in the league. We haven't had that kind of team in awhile. And I am not talking about the 1-2 upsets that can be expected every season. I am talking, the 'Skins haven't fielded a team in a long time that you could expect to win and or dominate an opponent. (Not saying they haven't done it, but expecting it is different) Even in 2005 which I think was the best modern era 'Skins team, I remember them going to Denver & Kansas City in consecutive weeks and losing to mediocre teams, and losing at home to an AWFUL Raiders team.

Now, if the 'Skins do something crazy tomorrow and pull off some type of 35-10 Victory, I am willing to modify my opinion and say yes that was definitely a statement performance, however given the nature of this rivalry, if the game ends up like your typical 'Skins/Boys game which is a close hard fought battle, I am not quite willing to say we made a statement.

Win or lose against the Cowboys, I think what we do against a garbage Rams is the bigger statement for a team that is in Year 2 of a rebuild and new scheme on Offense & Defense!

Thoughts?

I Hate the cowboys,

But I see what you mean, we should be able to blow out the Rams and make a statement, Whereas Redskins vs Cowboys games are always close no matter the record or hype if we were 10- 0 and Dallass was 0-10 or vise versa that game would still be a close game.

But I hate the cowboys so much I would rather have this game then the Rams.

I hear what you're saying. Before we get too excited, last week we beat a West Coast team at home by only one point who just lost to the lowly Seahawks. Granted, Arizona was without Beanie today, but they just lost to Seattle. Seattle, folks. I can't say I am 100% sold yet, but a strong beatdown on the road against Dallas will convince me.

If we don't convincingly open up a can of whoop ass on the Rams, then we've got real problems.

After watching them earlier, they are an abysmal, sorry excuse for a pro football team. They have NO offensive line to speak of. Bradford was sacked five times, and hurried/ hit on heck knows how many others. If Jason Smith is a 2nd overall talent, then I'ma going on the Haynesworth diet and picking up some cleats. Outside of Jackson, who's not healthy, they have NOTHING to help out Bradford even when they can keep him upright. I stopped counting the three and outs when it got into double figures. Their defense can't tackle for ****. The give away umpteen boneheaded penalties.

All in all, a horrible, horrible outfit and the worst in pro football on tonight's showing. And they play in a half full house that is quieter than a morgue.

Sneaking by with a close win doesn't cut it. This needs to be a statement road game.

If we lose, than we want royally ******* and deserve all the **** that comes our way.

Hail.

If we don't convincingly open up a can of whoop ass on the Rams, then we've got real problems.

Disagree. Redskins just need to win.

Ravens were seething after losing to the Titans, and THEY needed a statement game against the Rams.

If the Redskins beat the Cowboys on national TV, that will be their statement game. They'll have a short week against the Rams and can be expected to come out flat, on the road, against the Rams. They will be looking simply to get a win and reach the bye undefeated. Meanwhile, the Rams will be desperately trying to avoid going 0-4 in a home game, and the Rams can be expected to be "up" for the game. It's a classic trap game.

I'm not looking for style points against the Rams. Just win. In a trap game on a short week after MNF, that's the only goal.

Nope, sorry.

A win over the Cowboys would help show that the current Redskins team actually takes advantage of the golden opportunities they find in front of them. They usually do just the opposite, unfortunately. I think showing that the team can rise up to the occasion and put away division opponents on the road, especially when it helps solidify their place in the divisional standings, is HUGE. That's a statement the Redskins MUST make.

Beating a reeling winless team is a needed statement as well...but the statement they make in beating the Cowboys is one that can play a significant role in how the NFC East standings shake out from here on out.

I see your point. But this game in Dallas will mean much more in the long-run.

The Skins need to make a statement on Monday Night to a national audience. Beating down your biggest rival in front of the rest of the country is exactly what this team needs. Last time they played for a national audience they were whooped by Philly. We need this game for redemption.

Having said that, a good game against the Rams will go a long way too. In years past when we played dismal teams like the Rams/Lions, supposedly games we "should win," we come out flat and look horrible. Coming out and laying the Smackdown on the Rams will go a long way to boost the confidence of a team on the rise.

If I hadn't just watched the Rams I'd agree ASF.

But even taking into account the way Baltimore where up for today's game, having witnessed just how poor the Rams are I'd be real disappointed if we didn't totally dominate that game.

Your right it's a classic trap game. But the statement needs to be to slam the trap shut and **** all over it.

Hail.

It's funny, every game is labeled a test to see if we're "the same old Redskins"

week 1: old Redskins always lose to Giants

week 2: old Redskins would overlook the Cardinals after a big win and before a big showdown. Also, old Redskins would have found a way to loose

week 3: old Redskins would come out flat on Monday night. We wouldnt take advantage of our chance to control the division

week 4: old Redskins would overlook the lowly Rams and be upset

I thought the experts said the Redskins were going to win only 2 or 3 games this year. Since the Skins have already won 2 games and need only one more win to max the experts expectations, a win over either the boys or the rams is a statement. In fact most of you would have been satisfied going in to the bye week with a 2-2 record. Well that's already been cinched, so anything else is just gravey, right.

Not concerned about statements in the least. I'm more concerned with wins. And a win over a divisional rival, on the road no less, should carry more weight at the end of the day.

I agree with this statement. Seriously, a win against the Cowboys vs. the Rams at the end of the day is even a question?

It's funny, every game is labeled a test to see if we're "the same old Redskins"

week 1: old Redskins always lose to Giants

week 2: old Redskins would overlook the Cardinals after a big win and before a big showdown. Also, old Redskins would have found a way to loose

week 3: old Redskins would come out flat on Monday night. We wouldnt take advantage of our chance to control the division

week 4: old Redskins would overlook the lowly Rams and be upset

Those are all accurate assessments IMO.

I'm not trying to say tomorrow wouldn't be a big win, however this isn't the middle of an era where the Redskins & Cowboys are 12-4, 13-3 type teams. Splitting with the Cowboys is something we have come to expect regardless. In other words what I am saying is that beating the Cowboys is not out of the ordinary for the Redskins.

What IS out of the ordinary? Taking on a bottom 5 team and really taking them out to the woodshed. Beating them into oblivion to where it looks like they want to quit on the field. I believe in 2005, we did that to the 49ers, wasn't it like 52-17? And then Game #2 against Cowboys 35-14, and those 14 were garbage time points after game was pretty much determined.

To me, beating the Rams in a 35-10 type game would be more uncharacteristic than either winning or losing to the Cowboys in a 21-17 type of game.

I think that is my main point.

Archived