Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Esiason: NFL should look into Romo's clearance vs. 49ers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8228342a/article/esiason-nfl-should-look-into-romos-clearance-vs-49ers

Boomer Esiason believes the NFL should investigate how the Cowboys proceeded to medically clear Tony Romo sits to pee to return to the game after he suffered a fractured rib and punctured lung against the 49ers in Week 2.

"What the hell are the Cowboys' doctors doing?" the former Bengals, Jets and Cardinals quarterback said in an interview with USA Today." Are you allowed to play with a punctured lung, a collapsed lung, broken ribs? Is that what the NFL is now? Or do we actually care about the players? Or is it all just lip service? I think (Commissioner) Roger Goodell has got to look at that particular situation very seriously."

Esiason, who made his comments before reports surfaced Friday that Romo sits to pee's punctured lung had healed, pointed a finger at the intense scrutiny placed on Dallas' quarterback. After Romo sits to pee was characterized by some as choking in the opening loss to the Jets, Esiason believes the negative attention propelled the quarterback to play through the pain in San Francisco.

"Everybody's got an opinion on Tony Romo sits to pee. Everybody wants to put pressure on him," Esiason said. "He's not the big-time QB, he's not Troy Aikman, he's not Roger Staubach, I get all that. But that fueled Tony Romo sits to pee in my estimation on Sunday. He may deny it. ... I know he probably feels in the back of his mind, 'What are they going to write about me now if I don't show up on the field?' Now, he has a punctured lung and two fractured ribs."

Esiason, who serves as an analyst for CBS, didn't stop there: "... You can make that your headline: 'Why the hell isn't the NFL investigating how Tony Romo sits to pee got back on the field?' And why are we glorifying it? Why are we now saying Tony Romo sits to pee's the greatest QB of all time because he showed toughness? That mindset is supposedly what the NFLPA and the NFL are trying to get away from it. Yet here we are glorifying it after the fact. You can't have it both ways."

Its funny that he gave them this straight line:

"... You can make that your headline: 'Why the hell isn't the NFL investigating how Tony Romo sits to pee got back on the field?' "

And they didn't take it! Come on, man! That a sensationalist headline, if I ever saw one.

Whats funnier Conn is this is posted on NFL.com and is from a member of the media criticizing the media and the NFL's handling of the inury.

That IS ironic. I wonder if, prior to writing this article, the author wrote an article "glorifying" Romo sits to pee's injuries and performance? Probably. :ols:

Esiason has a very good point. I bet if NFL does look into this in detail.. they will find that Romo sits to pee just had some bruised ribs... Seriously if any of the reports about broken ribs and puncture lungs are legit.. NFL should be looking into it and see how Romo sits to pee was cleared to play. I am not a fan of Romo sits to pee but he should not be put in harms way by being allowed on the field with such a severe injury.

Or because they didn't know until after the game. The puncture was extremely small and didn't show up on the x-ray.

well that is what i mean.. NFL should take this incident to review how the teams treat/approach broken rib injuries.. just like how NFL review and fine tuned how teams treat/approach concussions....

---------- Post added September-25th-2011 at 07:55 PM ----------

I think everyone can agree... if Cowboys trainers knew that Romo sits to pee had a punctured lung then Romo sits to pee should have not been allowed to get back on the field.

I still think it is ultimatly the players decision in non concussion situations. Just off the top of my head think of all the great games people have played being injured or sick. MJ with the flu, Curt Schilling bloody sock, TO in the super bowl after breaking his ankle, Darrell Green having to take a cortosone shot to the ribs in the 80s. Hell, Clint Malarchuck played 4 days after slicing his juggular and loosing 75% of his blood on the ice.

I still think it is ultimatly the players decision in non concussion situations. Just off the top of my head think of all the great games people have played being injured or sick. MJ with the flu, Curt Schilling bloody sock, TO in the super bowl after breaking his ankle, Darrell Green having to take a cortosone shot to the ribs in the 80s. Hell, Clint Malarchuck played 4 days after slicing his juggular and loosing 75% of his blood on the ice.

yes i am a die hard Dallas fan.....but that Darrell Green mention is one of my all time fav Football moments EVER...what he did and how he played with that rib injury was ridiculous, and to me goes down as tougher then the Romo sits to pee decision to play..........i remember him leaping a would be tackler while holding his ribs with one hand and running a punt return back for a TD....Big time Props to one of.....if not THE BEST to play the game at CB.....ok, second best. I love DGreen #28 but i have to be sure to put him just behind,....not by much...but behind #21

But in Green's case, he didn't WANT to take the shot because he was afraid of needles :ols:...and in any case, it was something less threatening than a punctured lung, and Green had a week of healing beforehand, we're not talking about re-entering the game with a severe injury. And the flu definitely isn't on the same level. Nor is T.O. taking 4+ weeks off and then returning to play. Even Malarchuck didn't go back into the game and at least waited 4 days lol :)...

Anyway, what Esiason seems to be pointing out--which a lot of people here have pointed out--is that IF the stories of his injuries are accurate, that's not the type of thing you typically overcome in a matter of days, and it really did put his life at risk by him returning to the game. Again, "IF" they are accurate. And if so, then yeah, the NFL should be looking into that crap immediately. If the stories are NOT accurate, then let's stop lionizing Romo sits to pee's performance as some incredible display of raw courage lol...Romo sits to pee was injured, he came back in, the Cowboys won. That should be enough.

I still think the punctured lung is a 100% fabricated bold face lie. A punctured lung doesnt heal in 5 days.

Hey man dont be knocking being afraid of needles. I am deathly afraid of them. I can take any pain but my heart rate jumps up to 180 when im getting a shot. Currently playing hockey on a bone bruise and nerve damage. Havnt had full feeling in my hand in nearly 2 weeks :(

Archived