Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sorry Harry Potter And Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars Still Rules.

DM72

I got mine in the mail from Amazon on Wednesday. $80 for the whole set, not a bad deal at all!!!

I got mine at Wal-Mart last Friday. Some of the deleted scenes were really good, while others I can see why they left them out. I would actually like for Lucas to edit the scene of Luke completing the construction of his lightsaber back into Return of the Jedi in time for the 3-D release.

---------- Post added September-23rd-2011 at 10:05 AM ----------

Was this ever in question?

I don't know, there's a lot of Potter and Ring fans out there.

The people who think that Harry Potter is bigger than Star Wars are the same people who look at this picture and say that the tree is bigger than the mountain.

I'm smart enough to know that's not true, but I am having just a little trouble seeing the entire forest through the tree. :ols:

Seriously though, I'll be interested to see where this debate stands 20 or 30 years from now. There's no question in my mind that Star Wars will still "hold up" but I don't think we have enough historical distance from LOTR or the Potter series to be able to judge them fairly compared to a series that began in, what, 1977?

I suspect that those other two series won't have the same timelessness, nor will they be as woven into the fabric of our culture as Star Wars is. But again, it's probably not fair to say that now.

I'm smart enough to know that's not true, but I am having just a little trouble seeing the entire forest through the tree. :ols:

Indeed that's the point though right, one is closer and as such seems bigger, yet we all know the mountain is covered in trees just like the one we're looking at.

Seriously though, I'll be interested to see where this debate stands 20 or 30 years from now. There's no question in my mind that Star Wars will still "hold up" but I don't think we have enough historical distance from LOTR or the Potter series to be able to judge them fairly compared to a series that began in, what, 1977?

I suspect that those other two series won't have the same timelessness, nor will they be as woven into the fabric of our culture as Star Wars is. But again, it's probably not fair to say that now.

I agree fully, no matter how good LOTR and HP are as franchises they are each building upon the foundation laid by Star Wars. As movies series go they are good, but they are not the nuclear bomb upon the industry that was Star Wars.

Harry Potter might break the Super Blu-Ray record in 30 years.

10 movies versus 6...over the long run...maybe they catch up in total sales, but I think another "Harry Potter" comes along that leaves the original behind, whereas Star Wars will always remain the ultimate champion. That or I'm an old fart who is senile. :whoknows:

I agree fully, no matter how good LOTR and HP are as franchises they are each building upon the foundation laid by Star Wars. As movies series go they are good, but they are not the nuclear bomb upon the industry that was Star Wars.

Uh, you are aware that at least Lord came before Star Wars, right?

Let me guess. You're one of those people who honestly believes that George Lucas invented the ideas that spaceports will have bars with aliens in them, evil mastermind's plans will contain a hidden flaw, and planets may have different weather than Earth, and everybody else in the universe stole the ideas from Lucas, aren't you?

Uh, you are aware that at least Lord came before Star Wars, right?

The books but not the movies which I believe is what we're talking about.

Let me guess. You're one of those people who honestly believes that George Lucas invented the ideas that spaceports will have bars with aliens in them, evil mastermind's plans will contain a hidden flaw, and planets may have different weather than Earth, and everybody else in the universe stole the ideas from Lucas, aren't you?

No, he just perfected it.

Archived