Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big Play TD's

Skins Wingman

Last week, larry fitzgerald had a 73 yd TD against us. week 1, steven jackson had a 47 yd TD run against the eagles. these are just 2 plays that i remember right off the top of my head. They happen all the time around the league, except to us. Sure, we've had a lot of big plays that go for yardage, but not for a TD. Why can we never seem to hit that "home run" play? Is it play calling? Are our players too slow? Execution? Theres nothing that gets me more excited than a big TD play that goes for 40+ yards, but they come few and far between with the redskins.

some good reasons pointed out in this thread:

1.)QB not making a good throw.

2.)QB/WR timing

3.)Offensive scheme not designed for big plays.

4.)Talent of our players

5.)Blocking downfield by WR <--interesting

I believe, it's in the offensive scheme. Some teams seem to have more plays drawn up for more "home run" plays. If you look at our offense, and kyle's scheme, it's a lot of short to intermediate passes, and to me runs are just happenstance that it goes for 40+ yards.

AA and Moss are great Home Run threats, and from all this talk Helu should be. But they will come in time.

I'm better at baseball knowledge, but this is just my opinion here...

Last week, larry fitzgerald had a 73 yd TD against us. week 1, steven jackson had a 47 yd TD run against the eagles. these are just 2 plays that i remember right off the top of my head. They happen all the time around the league, except to us. Sure, we've had a lot of big plays that go for yardage, but not for a TD. Why can we never seem to hit that "home run" play? Is it play calling? Are our players too slow? Execution? Theres nothing that gets me more excited than a big TD play that goes for 40+ yards, but they come few and far between with the redskins.

As soon as the timing with the receivers gets better I hope these will come. I agree, it seems we can never hit the receiver in stride on a go route or deep post.

Hopefully Rex (**** it, I'm going deep) Grossman will be able to hit these sooner rather than later.

10 short passes for a TD or 1 long pass for a TD...who cares. If the shot is there I am sure we will take it....on the fourth down TD last week, he checked off of an open WR in the flat and threw into the endzone for a TD. Take what the defense gives. I nice long time consuming drive is fine with me. Wears out the opponents D and rests ours.

When was the last time we saw a rushing touchdown of 40+ yards? I can't remember.

looking at nfl.com real quick, looks like portis had a 47yd td run back in 2005. his longest was 78 in 2009 but it wasnt a touchdown. there was a couple of years in between where our longest runs were in the 30's.. :doh:

looking at nfl.com real quick, looks like portis had a 47yd td run back in 2005. his longest was 78 in 2009 but it wasnt a touchdown. there was a couple of years in between where our longest runs were in the 30's.. :doh:

That's horrendous. Portis was not a homerun threat at all.

As well as Rex has been playing, he still seems utterly incapable of hitting a receiver in full stride.

Personally I would love to see a long TD run more than anything. When was the last time we saw a rushing touchdown of 40+ yards? I can't remember.

If im not mistaken, it was Portis' very first run as a Redskin. I might be wrong. Ok, nevermind, he had the 47 harder in 05. I guess the run in 04 was his longest. 56 yards was it ?

look at the bears game last year. deangelo hall has a 92 yd int for a TD and you can say that won us the game. sometimes you need these 40+ yd TD's to swing the momentum of a game or just flat out win a game.

I agree, but I disagree.

Patriots: Nickle and Dime

Packers: Air Force Attack

Saints: A little of both

All three offenses are producing at a high rate.

Ironically, despite hitting those big plays that you mentioned both the Cardinals and the Rams lost those games. You don't always need the long TD's to win games.

Ironically, despite hitting those big plays that you mentioned both the Cardinals and the Rams lost those games. You don't always need the long TD's to win games.

what im saying is why cant our team hit those plays, hence me writing, "Why can we never seem to hit that "home run" play? Is it play calling? Are our players too slow? Execution?" but i guess u completely missed the point of the thread

thank you wrecker, you understand

I understand fully, but appreciate a big play being something other than a long TD. If is great in video games and fantastic for your fantasy teams, but not always the best thing in an actual game. I am guessing that Fitzgerald would trade his big play for a win in the game resulting from a bunch of small plays made at critical times.

With that said... F it...go deep!

Archived