Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com : Aaron Curry demoted to 2nd string

gamecokskins703

There was no way he was falling to the Skins @ 13 so I wasn't even contemplating that... I wanted Orakpo @ 13 but figured there was no way he'd slip... When Buffalo took Aaron Maybin I was shocked & ecstatic @ the same time... Just so lucky for Orakpo to drop to #13 that year...

There was no way he was falling to the Skins @ 13 so I wasn't even contemplating that... I wanted Orakpo @ 13 but figured there was no way he'd slip... When Buffalo took Aaron Maybin I was shocked & ecstatic @ the same time... Just so lucky for Orakpo to drop to #13 that year...

When the Bills selected Maybin I said, out loud, "Dear God don't let Cerrato screw this one up... COME ON RAK!"

Wow. Is he that bad?

The way they talked about him was similar to Suh and then Miller this year. That he was an absolute lock to be a player.

Well, it may be the system as well. Some guys just don't fit in certain systems. Though, with "safe" being one of the words used for him, you'd think he'd fit better within any system. Could just be Seattle, too. :)

He might be released after the season. Maybe he could move inside and replace one of our LB's(McIntosh), lol.

Somebody had to do it.

If he's released, it's not a bad idea... Even IF we still have Rocky. Curry, Rocky and London as our LB corps while Curry learns the defense and settles in wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Doubt it happens, but you know.

Aaron Curry honestly was maybe one of the most freakish workout warrior guys ever. He was a stud @ Wake Forest but his workout was insane. Kind of like Vernon Gholston. We see how his career has gone..

lmao@the Cerrato reference. I was thinking the same thing haha "This is a no brainer, Cerrato ! Don't #%&@ this up !" lol

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35799

Been looking through the seahawks forum about Aaron Curry

For people who want to bring him in, it looks like he cant cover, over pursues a lot and loses containment. Is very one dimensional and can only play the run and not even that well. Tries to go for the big hit too much which just ends up in 15 yard penalties.

I think we can pass on this guy haha.

This is actually a brilliant move. Other teams won't know how to game plan for the Hawks. Before, all they had to do was tell their QB to throw it to whoever Aaron Curry was supposed to be covering. Now, they'll be all messed up. Championship!
- This is entirely about coverage. Curry's coverage skills are inadequate for a weak side linebacker where the Seahawks wanted to play him. KJ Wright got a lot of playing time and will be the new weak side backer.
Bottom line, Curry is one dimensional, and he isn't even that great of a run stopper. It doesn't surprise me they are looking for more versatility.
This needed to happen. Curry has been a liabillity against the pass, and a penalty machine. He's a very one dimensional player.
In watching the Steelers game again, a lot of the edge runs we gave up were because Curry over pursued to the inside, and gave up contain to do so.

I think a lot of the "can't miss" guarantees were being made about Curry to justify drafting a player at his position THAT high.

You simply don't draft a LB that high who doesn't rush the passer. There are exceptions, but normally, you just don't. And people at the time were really trying to justify why Curry should be any different.

As I recall from that draft, very few people were hoping Curry would fall to us, especially at the Draft Day Party. If we didn't stay where we were and draft BPA, the other rumor was we would trade up for Mark Sanchez. I'm glad we stood pat and (much as it pains me to say this as a Penn State fan) I'm glad the Bills made the wrong move taking Maybin.

I think a lot of the "can't miss" guarantees were being made about Curry to justify drafting a player at his position THAT high.

You simply don't draft a LB that high who doesn't rush the passer. There are exceptions, but normally, you just don't. And people at the time were really trying to justify why Curry should be any different.

That's exactly what I remember. They were basically saying, "Well he's the surest tackler in the draft, he's not a pass rusher, but he's guaranteed to be a great LBer."

It was possibly one of the highest and dumbest draft picks ever, not because he didn't look like he'd be a good player, but because you're drafting a player to do something that a role player SHOULD be capable of. Just a really dumb place to put him in the draft.

I watched him play a lot in college. He was an absolute manchild on the field. He's got strong hands and I think can still be good against the run. Unfortunately, he has not improved in coverage and has never been much of a pass rusher. I think they just assumed he would force a lot of fumbles and impact the game that way. I just can't see him fitting in a 3-4 on the inside, but I could be wrong. I think he is really a 4-3 OLB, but he's got to get better. A change of scenary could do wonders for him.

I watched him play a lot in college. He was an absolute manchild on the field. He's got strong hands and I think can still be good against the run. Unfortunately, he has not improved in coverage and has never been much of a pass rusher. I think they just assumed he would force a lot of fumbles and impact the game that way. I just can't see him fitting in a 3-4 on the inside, but I could be wrong. I think he is really a 4-3 OLB, but he's got to get better. A change of scenary could do wonders for him.

The way you describe him, it sounds like he'd make a perfect Thumper in the 3-4.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35799

Been looking through the seahawks forum about Aaron Curry

For people who want to bring him in, it looks like he cant cover, over pursues a lot and loses containment. Is very one dimensional and can only play the run and not even that well. Tries to go for the big hit too much which just ends up in 15 yard penalties.

I think we can pass on this guy haha.

Sounds like Lavar Arrington.

Sounds like Lavar Arrington.

nah Lavar actually made some game changing plays before he got hurt and got thrown into a system that didnt fit him.

I think Aaron Curry either does not have football instincts (which I doubt because he was productive in college) or he is stuck in a system that doesnt suit his skills. Probably those Hawks fans are right that Curry in one dimensional but maybe he finds a system that allows to excel after he leaves seattle.

It's too early to really say anything with 100% confidence but between the drafting of Orakpo and Kerrigan it's looking like we really dodged some big bullets. Curry sucks, Maybin sucks, and Kerrigan is the only rookie LB (inside or outside) starting for a 3-4 team. Von Miller and Akeem Ayers are really the only two guys competing in the "did we draft the right guy" sweepstakes at the moment but they're both playing for 4-3 teams while Robert Quinn, Aldon Smith, Brooks Reed, Dontay Moch, etc. are all riding the pine.

Sounds like the product of some awful coaching. Who doesn't believe that he wouldn't have seen far more success -- and developed into a far better player -- in a place like New England? Seattle is currently one of the worst run organizations in football at the moment, from top to bottom.

If we can take players like Will Montgomery and Kory Lichensteiger and Anthony Armstrong and Tim Hightower and Adam Carriker (etc. etc.) and get the best of out them when no one else wanted them, who's to say Curry wouldn't be a worthwhile reclamation project in a year or two?

Archived