Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboy fan here -- Rivalry memories.

mikeymo1

Worst loss (just to throw mikeymo a bone) was 1979 season ending loss. Skins up by 13 late in the 4th when Roger Staubach engineers a miracle rally to pull out a 35-34 win. The loss was devastating. If the Skins win they have home field throughout the playoffs. But because they lost and the Cardinals layed down for the Bears (42-6) the Skins lose a tiebreaker and don't even make the playoffs.

Distant second, Clint Longley

Remember that like it was yesterday. Still nauseated.

I'm (relatively) a young fan, so my favorite personal rivalry memory was indeed the Monday Night Miracle back in 2005. I was so elated, but still lived at home with my parents and it was 12:30, so I couldn't scream in the house. Instead, I ran around the block outside making an ass of myself. HTTR!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2OyzV6xTzb_ZG-JzvNjAqNSh_UW-h8sBjKunNplOP5hakHMR72ALgBZWrvA

Lets list the memorable ones:

'72: Skins beat Cowboys in NFCCG

'73: Garrison stopped at 1 yd line

'74: Clint Longley on Turkey Day :(

'75: Kilmer QB sneak in OT

'78: Theismann takes safety on MNF

'79: The worst Redskins loss ever (yes, worse than 73-0 and Rocket Screen)

'82: Skins beat Cowboys in NFCCG II

'83: No Danny No

'84: Skins win 30-28 late season in Dallas

'87: Skins scabs beat Dallas (with good number of regulars) on MNF

'89: Cowboys get only win of season against Skins

'91: Cowboys break Skins undefeated season

'92: Aikman fumbles in end zone

'99: Skins blow 21-pt lead and lose in OT

'04: Vinny T last second TD to Crayton

'05: Monday night miracle and then 35-7 thrashing (probably last game with playoff implications teams have played)

'06: Hand of God

'10: Orakpo held

Any others?

My favorite memory is easy.

December 13, 1992. I was 11 years old at my first ever Redskins game.

Kleese wrote an article about it a few years ago:

http://edkleese.blogspot.com/2005/12/rivalry-that-stirs-emotionand-sauce.html

A journeymen defensive tackle named Jason Buck, got a great push up the middle, forcing his man to bump Aikman as he was getting ready to throw. Buck clawed at Aikman, and Troy went down-- so did the ball. What followed next was a mad scramble in the end zone-- and in my living room. The ball was bouncing around as I lunged at the TV. Emmitt Smith grabbed for the ball, he tried to scoop it up and advance it all at once, but then the ball disappeared into a jumble of bodies as I found myself crumpled on the floor next to the couch, frantically searching for the ball as if I could get a better angle from the floor. That pile-up seemed to last three hours. Finally, after much conversation, the refs threw their hands in the air in the universal signal for touchdown! Redskins safety Danny Copeland had recovered the ball in the end zone, giving the Redskins an improbable 20-17 lead. I went nuts. I ran from the kitchen to the dining room, back to the living room-- I'd almost forgotten that there was still a few minutes left and Dallas would get one more crack at winning the game.

There was a thread last year that had a link to video of the game, but it looks like it was removed from youtube. If anyone knows where to find this video, I'd love to watch it again.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?332234-1992-Redskins-Cowboys-at-RFK-%28last-3-minutes%29

I'm a diehard cowboy fan, but i'm not here to talk smack!! i'm a 39 yr old old school cowboys- redskins rivalry fan. so my question is from the 60's to the 90's what was your favorite cowboys/ redskins match-up?:pfft:

You know what? I like Cowboy fan who actually lives in TX !!! Those are TRUE fan.

So, do you think it's smart to start Romo sits to pee on MNF? What's your prediction for your team?

no this was intended to be fun, but some of the "dumbass fans" have already started sh*t talking.

*cough* http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?162983-To-Fans-Of-Opposing-Teams

If you're an "old school" Pukes fan than you'll understand this. Go **** yourself! Now's not the time to be friendly.:dallasuck:dallasuck

Gets my vote for post of the week!!!!!

Some of you guys need to relax... can we calm down on the 'eff yous" and "go bleep yourself" just a little? I love the rivalry but it doesn't mean we have to all turn into trailer trash just because one silly little Boyz fan shows up~! =p

To the OP, my best friends are Boyz fans so I'm with you.. I love the rivalry because it's fun~ I can't list all my favorite moments but the hand of God game comes to mind pretty quickly..

I'm hoping this Monday night I'll have another one to add to my list of favorites!! =p

Mikeymo1,

I was going to post the pic of you with the fuzzy, pink, fluffy, bunny ears with a "lava lamp" shaped device next to you that I found from googling your screen name... but then I re-read the ES terms of service, and realized that TK or one of the other mods wouldn't like that.

Then I rethought your purpose in posting here... I think that you are posting on ES in order to reminisce about a rivalry that has spanned the ages, and are doing so out of legitimate (albeit misguided) love for your team, with an honest desire to talk to fans from "the opposing" team. So I'll share some memories with you:

The first thing that comes to mind is the MNF game last year. I watched that from home with a good (albeit misguided) friend who is a 'boys fan. After watching Orakpo run roughshod on the 'Boys O-line all night and getting held almost every play, when the last play (hold on Barron) happened, my friend went ballistic. He was convinced that someone had payed off the refs. I was convinced that Jerrah didn't pay the refs ENOUGH after the sham that was called all night!

Then there was the '07 cowboys beatdown that occurred at FedEx. There were two teenaged 'boys fans sitting behind us. They had a "Tony Romo sits to pee For President" sign that they had painstakinly handcrafted before the game. Before the game they were being very flippant, and somewhat annoying. I distinctly remember them mocking us "having " to play Todd Collins that night.

As the Skins racked up the score, they became more and more depressed. At halftime, I saw one of the two siting by the rail in the concourse, and he was crying. Not like "hrumph hrumph" crying... Like "my boyhood dream was just shattered" crying. I walked up to him and said, "son are you old enough to drink?" In a scratchy, kinda sad voice, and with a trembling lip he replied "yes sir." That was all it took. Feeling pity on the little guy, I bought him a beer. He thanked me and then went up to his seat. He and his friend left about halfway through the 3rd quarter, but not before ripping up their sign and tossing it on the ground in disgust. Poor Kids.

Hey, welcome to ES!

That 1975 OT Game was an awesome victory. In Overtime with the Cowboys led by Roger Staubach marching down the field, HOF linebacker and our defensive captain Chris Hanburger blitz's and leaps over a blocker and dives at Staubach grabbing him by his left arm and spins him around causing his pass to woble like a duck and into the arms of HOF safety Ken Houston to set up our OT win. Great Win from the good ole days of the intense rivalry.

The 1978 MNF game was an intense hard hitting defensive battle, but we really beat up the Cowboys that night. Harold "TANK" McLinton # 53 ( R.I.P ) and Dave Butz had outstanding games, at least 3 or 4 Cowboys had to be helped from the field in that game. An amazing Goal Line stand by us and Hanburger clubbing Staubach with a delivery sack using a forearm blow to Rogers helmet were most memorable, got flagged for it, and they cried all game long about it.

The Seventies Cowboy Redskins games were intense.

I was going to post the pic of you with the fuzzy, pink, fluffy, bunny ears with a "lava lamp" shaped device next to you that I found from googling your screen name... but then I re-read the ES terms of service, and realized that TK or one of the other mods wouldn't like that.

BWAHAHAHHAAHAHAHa that's awesome

I'll chip in a bad memory. 2001 (I think), in Dallas, 1:07 left. Redskins running out the clock and Stephen Davis fumbles. Dallas kicks a field goal to win.

Also, this one in 1999. I can still picture that bomb from Aikman to Ismail and me yelling "noooooooo"!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1999/gamerep/week1/redskins13.htm

Archived