Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Examiner: Redskins roll out Hispanic version of fight song

Titaw

Redskins roll out Hispanic version of fight song

By: Ben Giles

The Washington Redskins' beloved fight song, "Hail to the Redskins," will be replaced on Sunday by a Spanish-language version of the song.

"Viva Los Redskins," written and produced by three fans, will be introduced during the Redskins' game against the Arizona Cardinals as part of Redskins Hispanic Heritage Week.

The new fight song is a loosely translated, upbeat Hispanic version of the original tune written by Corinne Griffith, the wife of former Redskins owner George Preston Marshall.

"The song is very lively and catchy, and it honors the Redskins in Spanish. That's something that we really liked," said Redskins Senior Vice President Tony Wyllie.

The song, with the rest of the team's celebrations on Sunday, will go a long way toward building the Redskins' Hispanic fan base in the region, Wyllie said.

The Redskins will be a part of the NFL's celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month during the "Monday Night Football" broadcast of their game against the Dallas Cowboys on Sept. 26.

For Full Article Click HERE

Listen to the atrocity HERE

Now, I am all for cultural exposure and such, but this is going a bit too far, we don't change our fight song to some sort of R&B slow jam for black history month, just leave it alone!

Ummm, was the American version not good enough? I guess since it's latino month all foods sold will be mexican? As the OP stated will there be a black history month version? Maybe we could call the Skins "The Worlds" team and play the song in different languages each month.

they played it early before the game started against the cardinals on sunday.

it sounded cheesy, but so does the song they play in english (when the band doesn't play).

at the end of the day it's a gesture to a community. it was played before the game even started, and even though it was cheesy and hard to follow i found it interesting to listen to.

try not to make a big deal out of it guys :)

I think it's a great idea. Obviously marketing is involved, but whatever. I welcome the fact that this could lead to more fan involvement --- im tired of being overrun by opposing fanbases in our stadium. We have a strong hispanic community in our area - so why not try and tap that unfound fanbase?

I am hispanic so maybe I'm biased - once again whatever =). What I remember is that when I first started watching our beloved skins (1986) is that I would watch it alone. My parents/uncles/aunts all loved soccer. Anything that might help the tranistion (Redskins spanish fight song) to where current hispanics might be involved more with OUR team - IM DOWN!

You people who are ****ing probably complain about the fact that the Bible was translated into English. Oh wait, I doubt it. Go home.

Psh, I could give a F. I don't read the Bible and plenty of other people don't as well.

The world has become way too PC. Maybe we should take after Greendale on Community and just become the Washington Human Beings.

Now, I am all for cultural exposure and such, but this is going a bit too far, we don't change our fight song to some sort of R&B slow jam for black history month, just leave it alone!

Nah, in that case they should do a Rock & Roll version, since we're talking history might as go with the form of music that was stolen from us.

---------- Post added September-20th-2011 at 05:14 PM ----------

Granted, it does sorta suck. Good idea, but could have been done better.

Ummm, was the American version not good enough? I guess since it's latino month all foods sold will be mexican? As the OP stated will there be a black history month version? Maybe we could call the Skins "The Worlds" team and play the song in different languages each month.

how in the world could you skew this as a "change" or the original not being good enough? how?

relax killer ...

now, if you dislike blacks and hispanics, that's different, just come out and say it, and we'll at least know where you are coming from.

Archived