Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Album of the 1970's

Sticksboi05

I can't think of one clunker on London Calling or Exile. Double albums are dangerous because you take the risk of major filler content but the fact that Exile, London Calling and Physical Graffiti escaped that proves how fantastic they are. I'd rank VH1 probably down in the 20's for the decade, probably lower, despite it's impact on guitar-playing style. Too each his own however. I like the album, especially Running with the Devil.

I grew up listening to a ton of music from the 70's. I had Uncles who were all 10 to 15 years older than me, and they gave me all their records and tapes to listen to. There are so many fantastic albums from the 70's, you can't possibly just say one is the "best," so I will do it this way.

The album from the 70's I listen to the most frequently is Boston's debut. Their debut was so ahead of it's time in production and sound quality it's ridiculous. Not to mention it's just chock full of GREAT Rock songs. In 2006 Tom Shultz the band's guitarist released a remastered version of the album, and he actually managed to improve the quality. I highly recommend picking up the remaster.

others than I immediately thought of were

Van Halen I and II

Led Zeppelin IV and Physical Graffiti

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Edit: also Aerosmith Rocks and Toys in the Attic

I grew up listening to a ton of music from the 70's. I had Uncles who were all 10 to 15 years older than me, and they gave me all their records and tapes to listen to. There are so many fantastic albums from the 70's, you can't possibly just say one is the "best," so I will do it this way.

The album from the 70's I listen to the most frequently is Boston's debut. Their debut was so ahead of it's time in production and sound quality it's ridiculous. Not to mention it's just chock full of GREAT Rock songs. In 2006 Tom Shultz the band's guitarist released a remastered version of the album, and he actually managed to improve the quality. I highly recommend picking up the remaster.

others than I immediately thought of were

Van Halen I and II

Led Zeppelin IV and Physical Graffiti

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Edit: also Aerosmith Rocks and Toys in the Attic

Yeah they had that MIT sound engineer working on it. The MFSL release is a must-buy for audiophiles.

It's the thought that counts though because that's a fantastic album. Thank You/Moby Dick/Lemon Song = WIN.

LZ2 was released in 10/69. The singles were released in 1970. It sounds way more like a 70's album than a 60's album. We are splitting hairs here.

London Calling by The Clash was released on 12/14/79. More people listened to it in the 80's than they did the 70's.

LZ2 was released in 10/69. The singles were released in 1970. It sounds way more like a 70's album than a 60's album. We are splitting hairs here.

London Calling by The Clash was released on 12/14/79. More people listened to it in the 80's than they did the 70's.

Yes, but it still is an album released between 1960-1969. Where do you draw the line?

And Whole Lotta Love was released in 1969 as was Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman).

What's interesting is that at that timemany critics panned most of the albums mentioned here, but these are the ones we consider the classics. Also it's 99% rock albums, just something about pop albums that don't last.

To be honest, I think part of that is because pop music listeners are always looking for the next thing, while "classic rock" listeners will listen to the same thing for decades. I don't know why that is.

Im absolutely taking into account the hoopla surrounding the album.

If we're going with just musical talent, I dont know howw Dark Side doesnt top everyones list.

But the word "best" is very subjective.

I agree on both counts. "Best" is too open to opinion.

From Wikipedia

The Dark Side of the Moon was an immediate success, topping the Billboard Top LPs & Tapes chart for one week. It subsequently remained in the charts for 741 weeks from 1973 to 1988, longer than any other album in history.

I heard a disc jockey in the Philly area give a little story that it would have remained in the Top 100 best selling albums for over 200 weeks, except that Bilboard had some kind of time limit. I forget what he said the limit was.

It has to be Dark Side of the Moon. Nothing else even comes close.

Consider that its inovation, inspiration and sonic genius held it aloft on the charts for over 700 weeks. It's so "best" that it could legitimately be considered the best album of the '70's AND the 80's. Recorded at Abbey Road and engineered by Alan Parsons.... what else can you say? Epic? Monumental? Landmark? Regal? It holds its own against allcomers as truely great in every sense of the word.

That being said,... I ****ing hated it for many years. I was a 16 years old when it came out and it dominated every shindig, party, function, get-together I attended. Took me a long time to come to grips with my aversion to it.

:helmet:

If I were forced to cast a vote, it would probably be Dark Side, but for the sake of discussion, I might also submit Bob Marley's "Natty Dread"

Side one

"Lively Up Yourself" (Bob Marley) – 5:11

"No Woman, No Cry" (Vincent Ford) – 3:46

"Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)" (Lecon Cogill/Carlton Barrett) – 3:13

"Rebel Music (3 O'Clock Roadblock)" (Aston Barrett/Hugh Peart) – 6:45

Side two

"So Jah Seh" (Rita Marley/Willy Francisco) – 4:27

"Natty Dread" (Rita Marley/Allen Cole) – 3:35

"Bend Down Low" (Bob Marley) – 3:22

"Talkin' Blues" (Lecon Cogill/Carlton Barrett) – 4:06

"Revolution" (Bob Marley) – 4:23

Talk about an album with zero clunkers on it. Every one a classic.

I think what holds this back however from 'best' status is the 'boutique' nature of Reggae. Might not have broad enough appeal.

Yeah they had that MIT sound engineer working on it. The MFSL release is a must-buy for audiophiles.

Not sure of any of their albums would qualify for this thread but for audiophiles, Steely Dan's production and sound quality rival anything done to date in my opinion. Their greatest hits CD is always near my stereo...

Guest Spearfeather
Exile on Main St is what I meant to say Predicto, thanks. Both are fantastic though. Disagree however, Sticky Fingers beats Some Girls.

This is almost impossible to answer, for me at least.

I mean, best or personal favorite? I love the Stones, so I would have to go with Exile on Main Street, but Who's Next is great.

I agree, Sticky Fingers is a little better than Some Girls. Brown Sugar, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Wild Horses, Moonlight Mile, Dead Flowers, ...I love Some Girls, but I'm not sure it can compete with that.

Archived