Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Album of the 1970's

Sticksboi05

No love for the Doors or Eagles? Blasphemy! :slap:

I still think Who's Next is the best album of the 70's.... :D

Doors were ok, but overrated. Pretentious and self indulgent, with dumb lyrics that teenaged girls mistook for deep poetry, but still good, with a lot of catchy singles.

Eagles are an abomination. Empty glossy boring corporate rock. Always were. Everything bad about Southern California is found in the Eagles. And they will keep on boring you on Easy Listening WBOR FM 93.1 until the end of time.

Looks like people are confusing "my favorite" with "best." I guess it was inevitable.

What other guideline would there be? Record sales? Then it's either Rumors or LZ IV or Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack. Grammys? Hey, Jerry Reed and the Carpenters won Grammys. Overall chart presence? Elton John whips everybody. Actual Musical ability? Steely Dan.

What other guideline would there be? Record sales? Then it's either Rumors or LZ IV or Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack. Grammys? Hey, Jerry Reed and the Carpenters won Grammys. Overall chart presence? Elton John whips everybody. Actual Musical ability? Steely Dan.

Exactly.

Looks like people are imagining that their personal taste reflects some sort of objective criteria. I guess iIt was inevitable.

And the correct answer, for the record (heh), is any album released in the 60's by Jimi Hendirx, without whom there wouldn't have been a 70's. :)

Damn Bang....I've been called a douche before but never snooty....that's below the belt! I don't even think I'm being either I'm just pointing out that neither band were that badazz of musicians. To each their own, but I've always saw the Ramones as kind of cartoon characters. That doesn't mean that the Pistol were the be all end all of relativity but there was a message behind all of the publicity. That being the British class system, and the crap economy of their times.

Well, the message you're on about was much more well spoken by the Clash and the Jam.

the Pistols were a punk boy-band. Manufactured, created for pictures and publicity. That was their message. That and they were too stupid to figure it out.

Best and favorite.. pretty much the same since it's all subjective.

~Bang

Lots of great stuff mentioned already, but I think Innervisions deserves to be in the discussion. Maybe Songs in the Key of Life too.... Both by Stevie Wonder, who I think is oddly underrated. It seems like everyone thinks of him as "that wobbly blind guy" when in fact he's a musical genius (to me.)

I don't believe in bests and I rarely have favorites, but some albums from the decade I really love that weren't mentioned.

CCR - Cosmo's Factory

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

Television - Marquee Moon

Pretty much every album Neil Young release, but if I had to choose a #1: On the beach

Stooges - Fun House

James Brown - The Payback

Lou Reed - Transformer

Herbie Han**** - Headhunters

Miles Davis - On the Corner

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

The Modern Lovers - self titled

Wire - Chairs Missing

Can - Ege Bamyasi

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

T-Rex - Electric Warrior

Bob Dylan - Blood on the tracks

Sly and the family stone - there's a riot goin on

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres

I think all these albums have some sort of claim to favorite in my mind, along with many of the others mentioned.

I don't believe in bests and I rarely have favorites, but some albums from the decade I really love that weren't mentioned.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

I think all these albums have some sort of claim to favorite in my mind, along with many of the others mentioned.

If you count London Calling it's a tough call between that and Led Zeppelin IV but people are forgetting Sticky Fingers. And Dark Side of the Moon, meh, I agree with LKB on this one though I do like it. Also, where does Rumours fit in here?

Forgot Ramones.

:)

Well, the message you're on about was much more well spoken by the Clash and the Jam.

the Pistols were a punk boy-band. Manufactured, created for pictures and publicity. That was their message. That and they were too stupid to figure it out.

Best and favorite.. pretty much the same since it's all subjective.

~Bang

My man..

The Clash >>>>> The Sex Pistols

and as far as albums go...

The Clash > Nevermind the Bollocks

My man..

The Clash >>>>> The Sex Pistols

and as far as albums go...

The Clash > Nevermind the Bollocks

hell yes,, I think the Clash's first album is the quintessential punk album of all time.

It has all the angst, all the energy and all the intelligence.

~Bang

Van Halen is a good album but I mean really, compared to Zeppelin IV, Exile, London Calling, it's pretty meek IMO. Actually it's not even in the same class as the others, but it is very influential.

I realize it may not be as diverse and expansive/experimental as IV, Exile, and a few others. It's impact is much more important, even London Calling.

With that said, the whole album minus 1 or 2 songs get regular radio airplay. While I love Exile and London CAlling; there are some clunkers on each. There isn't a single weak tune on Van Halen I. Now I realize that's a matter of opinion. Every song on IV get regular play, but it's impact wasn't as significant as VH1.

I realize it's not the most influential thread, but if I'm nitpicking I go there.

Archived