Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants faking injury...

dockeryfan

It seems unsporting, but it worked. What's to stop a team from doing that? Nothing, really. At the least, both those guys should have to leave for a play, as must all players injured enough that play is stopped. I'm pretty sure they made Grant leave, not sure about Williams though.

It seems unsporting, but it worked. What's to stop a team from doing that? Nothing, really. At the least, both those guys should have to leave for a play, as must all players injured enough that play is stopped. I'm pretty sure they made Grant leave, not sure about Williams though.

Best way to deter that is to say that if a player is injured their out for the entire series.

Best way to deter that is to say that if a player is injured their out for the entire series.

I think I would be okay with that rule change. However, the blowback is that players who really are hurt might try to suck it up, risking further injury. Then it becomes a saftety issue, something the NFL is hyper-sensitive about these days.

I'm not a fan of no-huddle, but faking an injury to circumvent a strategy is unsportsman-like.

That should be 15 yards and player ejected.

I thought that too. (Well, the 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Ejection is too much.) But man, that's a very tough call for an official to make. Unless it is patently, blatantly obvious, a ref just can't make that call on a hunch.

I thought that too. (Well, the 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Ejection is too much.) But man, that's a very tough call for an official to make. Unless it is patently, blatantly obvious, a ref just can't make that call on a hunch.

Bingo. How can anyone say what an injury is or isn't. You can't.

I'd put in a rule that if it's something as blatant as that, the players taking part in it get suspended for next weeks game.

No you wouldn't. The PA wouldn't allow it, first off. Second, if the player is really hurt and you suspend them, you're talking major lawsuit. It's something that the league will not risk and its something the PA won't allow.

I thought that too. (Well, the 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Ejection is too much.)

Problem is, in a situation like last night with the Giants faking their injuries on the one yard line, a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty might as well not be a penalty at all...especially since their goal was to slow down the Rams no-huddle. So go ahead, move the ball from the 1 yard line to the 1/2 yard line lol...their offense is still gonna be slowed down either way.

But man, that's a very tough call for an official to make. Unless it is patently, blatantly obvious, a ref just can't make that call on a hunch.

I don't think the refs should be making that call...at least not in real time during a game. Things like this should be reviewed afterwards, and some sort of action taken then (fines? one-game suspensions?). Since it's hard to determine it might not end up being enforced too many times, but the times where it IS enforced should send a message.

I don't think the refs should be making that call...at least not in real time during a game. Things like this should be reviewed afterwards, and some sort of action taken then (fines? one-game suspensions?). Since it's hard to determine it might not end up being enforced too many times, but the times where it IS enforced should send a message.

Again, I think removal for an injured player (any injured player) for an entire series would deter a player from faking injury.

That said, I think Dan T. has a point as well... That rule change could also make an injured player play injured and make it worse for fear of having to sit. *shrug*

The only way to address this is with penalties really. It's a tough call for the refs obviously, but if tape review reveal cases like this fine the players for unsportsmen like conduct. $20k out of a players and coaches pocket will put a stop to that real quick.

If it becomes pandemic, then the only solution will have to be to force the teams to take timeouts. Add one or two that are available only before the 2 minute warning, and continue play with injured players on the field like they do in basketball.

It's a question of ethics really, and I'm not the least bit surprised to see a Coughlin team being the first to make use of such silly tactics.

Was listening on the radio for a lot of the game, and Boomer was absolutely killing the Giants for this (really like him as an analyst btw.) He was telling a story about how they played the Seahawks in the playoffs and Joe Nash, the Seahawks NT, started having cramps every other play in an attempt to slow them down. He said it was the most frustrating and annoying thing ever.

Archived