Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear California GOP, You Are So Lame!

Fergasun

So I'm a registered GOP member (hard as that may be to believe with some recent posts), and I got a nice mailer from the California GOP today. There was a non-partisan commission that just re-drew the district lines of California (based on a referendum that was passed). This is what the CA GOP had to say about that:

A commission that was supposed to be non-partisan and ended up being dominated by Democrat activists, who infiltrated the system and hijacked the process.
Those ****s!
They ignored the requirements of the Constitution and worked in secrecy to draw up a plan that gives one party -- Democrat -- complete control in Sacramento.
Oh, whatever are we going to do!
They are going to triple the car tax (to the level it had been since at least 2008, it just came down)!
Somehow, I doubt this.
They are going to dismantle Prop 13!
Yeah, right.
They are going to lavish higher pensions and benefits to government workers!
Sure they are in this climate (where in LA county there was a huge scandal related to public workers giving themselves huge raises)... but the worst....
They are going to adopt ObamaCare in California!
Last time I checked Federal laws go into effect in the states.

California's future is on the line, the state won't recover, blah blah blah.

So what are we going to do? We're going to pass a referendum which allows us to reject the plan, and then allow non-partisan experts to come up with fair districts for the next election.

That's right, the solution to allegedly poor districts drawn up by non-partisans is to have some other non-partisans (the right kind of non-partisans?) draw up the district lines. I forgot to mention, that there were 5 Ds, 5 Rs, and 4 no-party voters on the commission. Only 1 GOP member voted against the district lines.

I forgot the best part... well... the fund-raising pitch.

Printing these large petitions is expensive. Unlike the Democrats who receive millions of dollars every year from public employee unions and trial lawyers, the California GOP is a volunteer organization which depends on small donations from people like you.
Yes, you don't really depend on them as much as you depend on large donations from large-multi-national corporations... but eh... the GOP is fighting for the little man against the unions and trial lawyers... and only the little man. They aren't fighting for any other corporate interests, no-siree-bob!

I feel bad for the CA GOP. They could have moved to the center and appealed to a lot of the state.

However, like most of the GOP in the country, they are moving farther to the right every day. Considering that this state is migrating towards a minority plurality, the GOP is toast unless it changes it ways.

They don't realize it, but this redistricting is going to help the GOP in the long run. The districts were so gerrymandered (by agreement between both parties) that every single CA GOP rep was in a safe blue district. They all had to go hard right to win their primaries, and there is no room for moderates. So the Legislature is full of total hardcore ideologues on the GOP side, who refuse to cooperate on anything and spend all their time complaining about immigrants, which turns everyone else off. The GOP brand no longer appeals to the majority of the state at all.

With the new districts, the GOP is going to have to run more moderate Republicans. When they do, they are going to be surprised how well they do. Contrary to what conservatives in the rest of the country seem to think, California has a long history of supporting Republicans as long as they are not super conservative on social issues. Heck, our Governor has been a Republican for 21 out of the past 25 years.

They don't realize it, but this redistricting is going to help the GOP in the long run. The districts were so gerrymandered (by agreement between both parties) that every single CA GOP rep was in a safe blue district. They all had to go hard right to win their primaries, and there is no room for moderates. So the Legislature is full of total hardcore ideologues on the GOP side, who refuse to cooperate on anything and spend all their time complaining about immigrants, which turns everyone else off. The GOP brand no longer appeals to the majority of the state at all.

With the new districts, the GOP is going to have to run more moderate Republicans. When they do, they are going to be surprised how well they do. Contrary to what conservatives in the rest of the country seem to think, California has a long history of supporting Republicans as long as they are not super conservative on social issues. Heck, our Governor has been a Republican for 21 out of the past 25 years.

Interesting... maybe we can attribute the hyper-partisan nature of our politics to redistricting methods. (as opposed to people just getting crazier for some reason)

Interesting... maybe we can attribute the hyper-partisan nature of our politics to redistricting methods. (as opposed to people just getting crazier for some reason)

It's mostly a combination of gerrymandering into safe districts, the 2/3ds requirement to pass a budget (which rewards dragging your heels to get extra concessions every time) and, most of all, the effect of government by public initiative (which destroys the possibility of compromise to fix ongoing problems since the Legislature is powerless to clean up already existing messes).

...and, most of all, the effect of government by public initiative (which destroys the possibility of compromise to fix ongoing problems since the Legislature is powerless to clean up already existing messes).

What are you all going to have to do to change that? Have a constitutional convention? After working in the property tax business for so long and having friends and colleagues that worked in Cali, I know the hell those guys live. It's next impossible to be any kind of fair (or even consistent) when every property has to be dealt with almost individually or by smoothing (to take out the upper outliers or more) just to be on the safe side.

Kao,

Gutting Prop 13 is probably the only true and real fix.

But, it will never ever ever ever ever be done.

I mean beyond just prop 13 (that's just the one I'm pretty familiar with) to the issue of government by the whim of moment.

Added: It's clearly a horrible system with all kinda unintended consequences

Constitutional convention is the only possibility. Don't expect it to happen, however.

Who likes it?

Again, going to property tax only because what I know a little about, it would be very easy to steal a working set of statutes and implement them without much trouble. Are there other issues where the sides have more at stake and would fight because of that? I don't expect a treatise on the subject, I'm curious and I'll poke around in it a little myself.

You have to understand, the Howard Jarvis people OWN the California GOP. They will never allow the GOP to vote for anything that resembles raising taxes. Since the GOP can currently obstruct nearly every potential vote in the state's legislature, nothing changes.

The new redistricting part ends that, though. Especially if the Dems gain 2/3 of the seats.

You have to understand, the Howard Jarvis people OWN the California GOP. They will never allow the GOP to vote for anything that resembles raising taxes. Since the GOP can currently obstruct nearly every potential vote in the state's legislature, nothing changes.

The new redistricting part ends that, though. Especially if the Dems gain 2/3 of the seats.

I suspect that even a democratic super majority wouldn't be able to overturn prop 13... Unless it is accompanied by some sort of direct cash infusion to whoever's taxes are gonna get raised... in order to placate homeowners

I suspect that even a democratic super majority wouldn't be able to overturn prop 13... Unless it is accompanied by some sort of direct cash infusion to whoever's taxes are gonna get raised... in order to placate homeowners

Oh, I know it won't get overturned (at least the part that deals with property taxes on residential homes).

I was just mentioning that the days of the GOP succeeding in being obstructionists here in the state may be coming to an end.

So it mostly is the longer term property owners who are adamant against changing that form of government, which affects a lot more than just property taxes, just to keep their property tax ludicrously low? How did anyone ever buy into that shell game.

Archived