Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After two games, one thing is clear: Rex Grossman is the best QB we have ever had in Redskins history

Forehead

Here is just one link where Moss admits (accepts) responsibility for not running the route the way it was designed:

This is all well and good but I don't put too much stock in this stuff. Moss is being a good teammate and "taking one for the team." It's real easy to do after a win.

That play sure looked like a bad pass and INT to me. It's not the end of the world, Rex kicked some serious ass yesterday when it counted. But the first one was on him.

From recent history I remember those very same responses to some very valid concerns about the amount of points Zorn's team left on the field in that 6-2 start. Hoe'd that work out by season's end?.

Why bring that up? First off, I wasn't here that season so I have no idea about what points were or weren't being made. If you'd asked me MY opinion during the 6-2 start I would have told you something that probably differed from the conventional wisdom around here at the time.

Second, who is predicting they start 6-2? Not me. I'm not really in the prediction game.

I'm in the analyzing and reporting game. And what I've seen during Rex's glorious 5-game Skins tenure has been very promising, especially by the recent standards of Skins quarterbacking.

Ifs and buts have no place in the NFL. Almost every game is an if or but away from having a differnt outcome. And you are trying to if and but your way into making us think that Rex hasn't been playing well.

And he has.

I was going to try explain the relevance Crazy one, but then I came to your last few lines there I decided to totally leave it.

If your just gona' take snippets of my posts and not the whole picture when I've repeatedly given Grossman props for his overall play this season the past 8 days it's pointless debating anything with you.

Hail.

He almost killed them yesterday.

Those two picks prevented them from getting the distance they rightfully earned from the Cardinals before their inevitable run in the second half.

Kudos to Gross for still fighting to the end and getting to within 2 but he can't play like that if he expects to be a legit starter and for this team to fight for a playoff spot.

Huh?

I think it's safe to say that Rex Grossman will shatter all or most Skins passing records this season.

I am not saying he will or won't. I am saying right now, weather is warm. People still learning Rex and the system.

It is ridiculous to think you can take 2 games and project that he will do this every game.

You think Tom Brady will throw for 7300 yards? You think Cam Newton will throw for 6800 yards?

He almost killed them yesterday.

Those two picks prevented them from getting the distance they rightfully earned from the Cardinals before their inevitable run in the second half.

Kudos to Gross for still fighting to the end and getting to within 2 but he can't play like that if he expects to be a legit starter and for this team to fight for a playoff spot.

The second pick was totally not Rex's fault. He hit the WR in both hands. The first pick, he was just toying with the Cards.

The second pick was totally not Rex's fault. He hit the WR in both hands. The first pick, he was just toying with the Cards.

The first was a QB trusting his WR to be where he was supposed to be and the WR trying to make a play. No one was at fault, it happens.

What was good was Rex continued to trust and Moss made plays and they both played their parts well in a win.

The Rex Cannon is gonna airburst over Dallas next Monday :dallasuck

It's six and two three's.

On the one hand I've been real impressed, particularly the Giants game, of how he hung in there under tremendous pressure from shocking line protection and moved the team downfield. On the other, yesterday against a better side the turnovers and points we left on the field would of had a good chance at us now sitting at 1-1.

As it normally is with Rex, you get a mixed bag of good and bad. But his overall play has been better than expected this year if that helps.

Hail.

There's been a lot more good than bad in the mixed bag so far. Better than expected by you maybe. I think he's going to have a career year.

Barring injury, that's almost inevitable. We've never averaged as many passing attempts as we are so far, at least in the modern era. This is how Kyle likes to run his offense.

ASF,

Would be interested in hearing your opinions and analysis on Rex so far this season since you are one of the predominant "Rex bulls" on this site.

Are you seeing what you had hoped? How about his lack of pocket presence? Batted passes?

ASF,

Would be interested in hearing your opinions and analysis on Rex so far this season since you are one of the predominant "Rex bulls" on this site.

Are you seeing what you had hoped? How about his lack of pocket presence? Batted passes?

I think the OL has under-performed, which has helped cause a bit of laboring in rushing and pass protection (Giants game) and clearing passing lanes (Cardinals game). Also, Hightower seems to be missing a gear, which Helu highlighted in relief. Kyle's offense depends on gashing the defense on the ground, which should open up the passing game, and vice versa. We need to see the stab wounds from the ground game, more often than we are.

The offense feels like it is operating at about 60% capacity. I thought Rex did a very nice job under pressure in the Giants game, and was a little off at times against the Cardinals ... but performed when it mattered most.

I want to rewatch the plays with the batted balls to understand exactly what happened. That's my only significant concern about the passing game so far, as a trend.

Rex is playing about 60% as well as I think he can, and about 80% as well as I assumed he would. He's got more upside than downside going forward this season, assuming that they sort out the batted passes.

I have the feeling that MNF will be the coming-out party for Rex. He's still flying under the radar and playing cautiously more often than not (for Rex). At some point he's going to open up the throttle and let things really rip, and I have a feeling that he and Kyle are saving that for the Cowboys on national television.

This is Rex's opportunity to reclaim what's he's lost since 2006, in terms of national stature. Probably his biggest game since the Super Bowl that year.

I think the OL has under-performed, which has helped cause a bit of laboring in rushing and pass protection (Giants game) and clearing passing lanes (Cardinals game). Also, Hightower seems to be missing a gear, which Helu highlighted in relief. Kyle's offense depends on gashing the defense on the ground, which should open up the passing game, and vice versa. We need to see the stab wounds from the ground game, more often than we are.

The offense feels like it is operating at about 60% capacity. I thought Rex did a very nice job under pressure in the Giants game, and was a little off at times against the Cardinals ... but performed when it mattered most.

I want to rewatch the plays with the batted balls to understand exactly what happened. That's my only significant concern about the passing game so far, as a trend.

Rex is playing about 60% as well as I think he can, and about 80% as well as I assumed he would. He's got more upside than downside going forward this season, assuming that they sort out the batted passes.

I have the feeling that MNF will be the coming-out party for Rex. He's still flying under the radar and playing cautiously more often than not (for Rex). At some point he's going to open up the throttle and let things really rip, and I have a feeling that he and Kyle are saving that for the Cowboys on national television.

This is Rex's opportunity to reclaim what's he's lost since 2006, in terms of national stature. Probably his biggest game since the Super Bowl that year.

A couple of observations I had -

One of Rex's strengths during the preseason was his timing. He would take his drop, hit his back foot, take one step, and get rid of the ball. It would consistently come out right on time. In the cardinals game, I noticed that he was hitting his back foot but waiting to release the ball. It happened a lot, particularly in the 1st and 2nd quarters. My guess is that (a) his first read wasn't open, or (B) he didn't have a good throwing lane. I'm leaning toward (B), because more often than not Rex isn't scared to throw the ball to a covered receiver. Plus, it seemed like our line was having trouble setting up a good pocket.

As for the run game, Hightower's strength in the preseason was breaking huge runs by exploiting cutback lanes. I've seen several opportunities for him to cut it back and break a big gain, but for some reason he chose to continue following his blocks. One thing we heard from Cardinals fans when we acquired him was that Hightower ALWAYS impressed during practices. He was their Taylor Jacobs (albeit he actually did perform somewhat well in games, but you get the point). I think what we saw in preseason from Hightower and what we're seeing from him now is confirming his reputation as a practice player. Not that he's playing poorly - he just isn't manhandling the opposition like we thought he would. Helu also appears to have better "moves" to make defenders miss - Hightower seems to have more straight-ahead speed.

Archived