Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Harbaugh Is An Idiot.

DM72

People can talk, "you never take points of the scoreboad" all they want, but don't you have to keep the drive going? Don't you have to atleast see if you can get a TD? To me, he showed no confidence in his offense by selecting to keep the 3 points and I'm sure the Cowboys were delighted to get off the field.

Harbaugh gets my vote for boneheaded coaching decision of the week.

in this area, we didnt get to see the game. what happened??

SF was up by 7 and kicked a FG to make it a 10 point lead. On the kick, there was a penalty called on Dallas that would have given them a first down. Harbaugh selected to keep the 3 points and have the penalty tacked on the kickoff.

It was one of the worst decisions I have ever seen. It will be interesting to see if the national media calls him out on it.

Not only was it a disaster strategically, it also is a slap in the face of your team. He basically told his offense - I don't trust you.

SF was up by 7 and kicked a FG to make it a 10 point lead. On the kick, there was a penalty called on Dallas that would have given them a first down. Harbaugh selected to keep the 3 points and have the penalty tacked on the kickoff.

oh. then, holy crap, what a douche. i've heard this scenario before, and heard the ol' dont take points off the board mantra. forget that. if you get a fresh set of downs, you are stupid if you dont use them.

http://www.marinij.com/sports/ci_18924979

The big coaching decision that comes back to haunt them.

Sunday, with the 49ers up 21-14 with more than 11 minutes left in regulation, the Cowboys committed a 15-yard penalty while David Akers was making a 55-yard field goal to give the 49ers a two-score lead.

Instead of taking the penalty--which would've given the 49ers first-and-10 at the Dallas 22-yard line, Harbaugh took the points.

"The thinking about it at the time was, had the two-score advantage at that point, felt that we would be able to get off the field and that would lead to a victory," Harbaugh said.

im not so sure about it being stupid, i mean Alex smith was getting sacked like every other play, so they could of lost yards or thrown an INT or fumbled. All of which happened in the game, he took a two score lead over the risk of turning the ball over or losing field position.

That is just what i thought was going through his head. Its understandable.

im not so sure about it being stupid, i mean Alex smith was getting sacked like every other play, so they could of lost yards or thrown an INT or fumbled. All of which happened in the game, he took a two score lead over the risk of turning the ball over or losing field position.

That is just what i thought was going through his head. Its understandable.

I understand that is what he thought . . . . be it still makes him absolutely gutless.

He was given the chance to have the ball - 1st down on the 22-yard line. You have to take it.

Okay. Time to be honest. Ordinarily,this a kind of head scratcher at best,kind of a dumb decision at worst. However,this was against the Cowboys so it was dumb ****ing decision and he's an idiot for making it. :silly:

Still a bit too conservative of decision to me.

I would have done the same thing. When you're at the 35 yard line, nothing is guaranteed. What would have happened had they turned the ball over? I agree with the call. Take the points, make it a 2 possession game, and put the game in the hands of the defense that had played well for the most part.

you take 3 instead of a 1st on the 22? I'd rather run 3 straight running plays to help kill the clock than to just take the points

you take 3 instead of a 1st on the 22? I'd rather run 3 straight running plays to help kill the clock than to just take the points

It makes it a for sure two possession game with around 10 minutes left. Yes. Like I said, what if they had a turnover the first play after they accepted the penalty?

Bottom line is their D didn't step up in the end. Had they, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

It makes it a for sure two possession game with around 10 minutes left. Yes. Like I said, what if they had a turnover the first play after they accepted the penalty?

Bottom line is their D didn't step up in the end. Had they, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I understand, I just think if you're that worried you run a few gut plays and burn another minute and a half off the clock and give your d the extra rest.

I would have done the same thing. When you're at the 35 yard line, nothing is guaranteed. What would have happened had they turned the ball over? I agree with the call. Take the points, make it a 2 possession game, and put the game in the hands of the defense that had played well for the most part.

You never win playing scared.

---------- Post added September-18th-2011 at 10:51 PM ----------

Nothing guaranteed in this game. Take the points and go up 2 scores. That is absolutely the right call.

Yeah, and they weren't guaranteed a victory by going up 2 scores either. Harbaugh played it safe and got burned.

Here is the question - what do you think Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton or any of the other "elite" coaches do? No way any of those guys keep the FG IMO.

Archived