Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

dallas fans, does the cowboys 49ers rivalry still run deep?

DeadExField

I'm far from a Cowboys fan, and as such can't speak fro them; but the few Texan Dallas fans I know still hate the '9ers with a passion.

From 'The Catch', through to Me-O disrespecting the star in Irving, there's a whole bunch to not like if your of a silver and blue persuasion. If feelings still run as deep amongst San Francisco fans, that should be a heck of an atmosphere Sunday.

Hail.

I don't hate them anymore. There were so many personalities on that team that used to get under my skins. Those days are gone. In fact, I actually like watching a few of them play (Gore comes to mind).

Even though I hated them, Steve Young was, and always will be (in my demented mind) the best QB to ever play the game. Smart/mobile/accurate.

I do dislike them. But I was not born to see "The Catch". I remember the 90s however, and I hated the 49ers. I remember wearing my Cowboys starter jacket and beefing with my friend who had a 49ers starter jacket lol.

Can't stand ... Montana, Steve Young, Merton Hanks, Eric Davis, Roger Craig, Rice .... respect them. Still hate them.

We have 11 starters on the injury report .. San Fran can very easily steal a win this week.

Even though I hated them, Steve Young was, and always will be (in my demented mind) the best QB to ever play the game. Smart/mobile/accurate.

Total aside, but I've often wondered how much better thought of your namesake would of been in consideration of the all time greats if he hadn't gone to 'Nam and then continued his service; missing a large chunk of his career.

Hail.

The Catch was a nice reception, but why is it so famous?

I want to say it was a 3rd down with just about (maybe under) a minute left in the game. Niners were trailing by 6 I think, and the Montana (who was rolling out and was about to get smothered by Cowboy defenders)-to-Clark catch put the Niners ahead by a point. It was just one of those moments that symbolized the changing of the guard in the NFC from the Cowboys to the 49ers. Of course this was the middle of three consecutive NFC Championship Game losses by the Cowboys, who lost in Philly the year before, and then would lose to the Skins (who also became up there with SF for NFC supremacy in the 80s) the season after. Neither of those games had the last-minute dramatics of the Catch game though.

And what many people forget was right after the Catch, Danny White threw a strike to Drew Pearson (I think) and the 49er defender barely was able to pull him down at the SF 40.....if he hadn't, Pearson was off to the races. A few plays later White was sacked and fumbled, and SF continued on to the Super Bowl.

Yeah I think it was just something people across the country hadn't seen before.

The WCO was new, the niners came out of nowhere. Montana rolling out like that all the way to the sideline and throwing the ball with 4-5 defenders about to get him, the receiver wasn't even past the goal post when he threw it, somehow ended up getting to the corner jumps and grabs it and lands with both feet in bounds. Those kinds of plays happen all the time now but back then I think most of the country hadn't seen that kind of play before.

If it was today Montana doing that would be like Vick doing something that got played on sportcenter all year, except he did it in the most visible game of the year against Dallas. QB's were statues for the most part and the passing game was vertical. I think patterns like that in the end zone were a new thing. You either pounded it in the red zone or you lobbed up a fade to your 6-4 receiver and hoped the receiver got it. Thats why QBs threw so many Ints. Besides SF was 2-14 and 6-10 before that year. No way they could beat Dallas.

Archived