Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone remeber Kenny Philips hitting Fred Davis illegally?

Tom [Giants fan]

I uploaded this play. I assume it's the one in question.

I remember that one. I think it should have been a personal foul, but I'm not sure it was worth a $10,000 fine.

On another note, that was a really nice route Freddie D ran there. Did a perfect job of breaking off right into the soft spot of the zone.

;8532999']The NFL fined Kenny Philips $10' date='000 for an illegal hit on Fred Davis. Does anyone remember the hit or have an image?[/quote']

That's BS--the hit that I believe he was fined for was when Davis caught a ball up the seam for about 25 yrds or so--he was hit on both sides by the Giants defenders--Phillips lead with his forearm, not his helmet and hit him up by the collar bone. Not a dirty hit by any means, and in no way should it be a fine. It wasn't flagged at the time nor should it have been. Pisses me off.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 04:05 PM ----------

If that now get's you a 10 grand fine then I don't know what to say.

If this keeps up, they'll make football a non-contact sport. Ridiculous.

Hail.

I agree--it's unbelievable to me that they could fine him for that hit. They might as well do away with the safety position if that's going to be a fine. I really dislike what this league is turning into sometimes.

That's BS--the hit that I believe he was fined for was when Davis caught a ball up the seam for about 25 yrds or so--he was hit on both sides by the Giants defenders--Phillips lead with his forearm, not his helmet and hit him up by the collar bone. Not a dirty hit by any means, and in no way should it be a fine. It wasn't flagged at the time nor should it have been. Pisses me off.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 04:05 PM ----------

I agree--it's unbelievable to me that they could fine him for that hit. They might as well do away with the safety position if that's going to be a fine. I really dislike what this league is turning into sometimes.

You hate what the league is turning into but did you see how dangerous the hit actually looked... granted Fred Davis is a big dude, but still...

If that now get's you a 10 grand fine then I don't know what to say.

If this keeps up, they'll make football a non-contact sport. Ridiculous.

Hail.

There is only one reason he got fined for that hit: he left his feet to deliver it. It doesn't matter if he had hit him in the ribs, you can not launch yourself into a receiver. It is a point of emphasis this season. If Phillips had kept his feet on the ground, there would have been no fine.

@AdamSchefter : And NFL aslo fined Giants S Antrel Rolle $20,000 for spearing.

Wow, they're definitely not messing around with this stuff. Not saying the hits were ok (especially the Rolle one), just that the NFL means serious business when it comes to fining people for potentially dangerous plays.

Look at that hit in real time, not in slow motion. It's a bang-bang play.

ya, it is a bang-bang play. really hard to say that phillips was going high in that play on purpose. davis was coming down and could have been lower than phillips anticipated when he started his hit. it looks bad in slo mo but hard to say phillips meant to hit his head.

I uploaded this play. I assume it's the one in question.

(snip cool video, thanks slats!)

Yeah, are they trying to make football into Rugby, where you can't hit above the shoulders? :doh:

Davis wasn't down yet. Didn't we all agree recently that the sandwich hit that Phillip Daniels helped put on Peyton Manning wasn't a dirty hit?

Dumb fine, if that's the play.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 05:25 PM ----------

@AdamSchefter : And NFL aslo fined Giants S Antrel Rolle $20,000 for spearing.
Now THAT'S a good fine. Clearly illegal hit and clearly intentional on Rolle's part.

Looking at the replay, kind of seemed like Phillips slowed down after he saw Davis going down. The NFL is definitely going down a weird path these fines. I feel like any hard hit is costing players and that's pretty disturbing.

Archived