Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Hope for the Hopeless (Chris Neild mention)

LetThePointsSoar

Didn't see this posted yet, but merge if so. Thought this was a cool mention.

4. Just give 'em a chance. Some players shine because of their talent, but for others, all it takes is an opportunity. When tight end Scott Chandler played with the Chargers, Cowboys and Giants, he rarely got the type of chances he did for Buffalo in Week 1, when he caught five passes for 63 yards and two touchdowns. It's not all that different for Redskins defensive tackle Chris Neild, the second-to-last pick in April's draft but a player who forced his way onto the field and produced four tackles, two sacks, one forced fumble and one tackle for loss. While Chandler and Neild shined, nine of the 32 first-round picks from April didn't even play. Every year, there's a Kurt Warner or a Tom Brady or another player who shines as much because of his opportunity as his talent. Entering Sunday, few fans knew Chandler and Neild. That's no longer the case.

Click link below for full article.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10spot-11week2/the-buffalo-bills-detroit-lions-already-full-surprises

You know how everyone get scared of those massive "deliverance" looking folks?

Isn't it kinda cool to have that guy on your team and now you are rooting for him ?

I can just imagine him chasing Eli down and saying: "I'm gonna make you squeal like a pig, boy!"

neild-e1315594231720.jpg?w=619&h=344

i just hope he doesnt do the chris horton thing. flash for 6 games then fall off the face of the earth. and horton was like the exact same draft pick he was lol.

but if hes a real NT we got the steal of the entire draft at that spot.

To this day, I still dont think it was a flash by Horton.

It was him being in the right place at the right time. Especially the NO game. His plays were vastly overrated and lucked into getting the ball.

The only play I remember him even truly making was the INT against Dallas to win the game. But he never really flashed to me that he was going to be a strong starter for years to come.

However, watching Nield, he made those plays. Didn't really luck into them.

It was him being in the right place at the right time. Especially the NO game. His plays were vastly overrated and lucked into getting the ball.

The only play I remember him even truly making was the INT against Dallas to win the game. But he never really flashed to me that he was going to be a strong starter for years to come.

Chris Nield was an absolute stud and the anchor for the defense at WVU. He was also a captain, it's no coincidence it's translating onto the field.

HTTR!

good point, and thats true especially in the saints game. i remember hearing he was out of position and the ball just got there.

lets hope neild is legit.

i just hope he doesnt do the chris horton thing. flash for 6 games then fall off the face of the earth. and horton was like the exact same draft pick he was lol.

but if hes a real NT we got the steal of the entire draft at that spot.

Neild won't pull a Horton. He was the captain and the heart of the Mountaineers defense. Dude is a player. Just don't expect such performances ever again.

It's great and hopefully he turns out to be the real deal. This is more evidence of the importance of stockpiling draft picks - even late ones. Having all of those picks this draft - in comparison to recent years where we've been starved - was huge. Do it every year - that's what good teams do.

Congrats espn...you remain a step behind of ES, because we know this maaan!

I am not an english major by any stretch but....Is sentence #3, beginning "Its not all that different for Redskins Chris Nield....", just painful to read? Is it just me? I had to read that mutiple times to figure it out. I mean, it MIGHT be gramatically correct but good gosh thats a painful sentence. Great writing espn.

PS: Nield will be having redbird for lunch on sunday!

His performance struck me as a Chris Horton-esque fluke. He was in on 8 plays, got 2 sacks, and on one of the sacks, he was going the wrong direction. 8 plays is a small sample size, given his larger collegiate body of work, I'd be happy if he got one more sack in the next 15 games.

He certainly is an intruiging player. I just overheard on Comcast Sportnetsnet, a breakdown of the WVU defense, in preperation for the Maryland v. WVU game. Apparently they run a 3-3-5? Any WVU fans out there, care to elaborate? How does his d-line position in that D translate to our 3-4 and is it true he didn't have ANY good accompanyment along the D line? All speculation that would make good info if it were cleared up...thanks!

I can just imagine him chasing Eli down and saying: "I'm gonna make you squeal like a pig, boy!"

So can Eli. :)

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 04:56 PM ----------

I've fantasized of the Skins getting a first round talent in the last round ever since Tom Brady emerged. It's too early to annoint yet, (remember Chris Horton), but a lot more eyes are on Neild now, that's for sure.

To me, he doesn't have to be Tom Brady.

If he can be Rock Cartwright, that would be perfectly fine with me.

A motivator. A solid backup and situational player for like 10 years. That's be OK.

Archived