Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RB Rotation in Cards game

hunterx

We all know that Hightower played in all but 1 or 2 snaps against the Giants. We all know he had a handful of runs between 5-20 yards, but the majority were 0-2 yards.

Do we see more bootlegs, rollouts, RB screens or dump offs to move the Cardinal D-Line around? It seemed during most of the runs against the Giants, their line was moving one direction. I think if we can bring in Helu a few times to run some pitches or screens wide, it will tire their defense out a bit more, which then HTower can pound it through their defense.

I loved what I saw from HTower in the preseason but I just didn't see any flash or explosiveness out of our blockers last weekend. Helu has the speed to cut the edge, and teams don't have much film on him, so they can take advantage of that by throwing some screens or wide pitch outs.

Maybe I just want to see Helu get 5-7 carries.

Hopefully we will see a few dives, draws, or some more "in between the tackles" runs. It was obvious in the Giants game the offense was attempting to exploit some perceived weekness in the Giants defense. After the handoff, Hightower looked for daylight then made his cut.

I would like to see a mix and perhaps a few screens to him.

aside from getting injured, what has Torain done to make you uncomfortable with him playing?

He manages to get postive yardage every time he touches the ball. I'm fine with him in the rotation. Frankly, from what I've seen of Helu, I don't mind him getting a few touches either. The only dilemma, though, is that none of them are much of a "change of pace" from the others.

Do we see more bootlegs, rollouts, RB screens or dump offs to move the Cardinal D-Line around? It seemed during most of the runs against the Giants, their line was moving one direction.

That's the point of the stretch play. To get them running and find a north-south lane or a cutback lane. And if they overpursue to clog a cutback lane, that's why we run the Naked Pass.

I loved what I saw from HTower in the preseason but I just didn't see any flash or explosiveness out of our blockers last weekend. Helu has the speed to cut the edge, and teams don't have much film on him, so they can take advantage of that by throwing some screens or wide pitch outs.

THT made something out of nothing more times than I can count. If our OL is unable to block, then it doesn't matter what back is in the game. Trutfully, we ran the power downhill run game a few plays at the end, and the line looked much better.

Maybe I just want to see Helu get 5-7 carries.

I think this is more along the lines of being accurate :)

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 09:16 AM ----------

I've been wondering if maybe, after running 27 RB sweeps last week, if maybe a reverse would be a good idea.

Well, I didn't see any sweeps. I saw our stretch play several times (which is outside zone and not a sweep).

A reverse could work, but a reverse will make defensive players stay home on the backside, which takes away from the Naked pass, but it would also help us run the stretch play as well. Pick your poison, but I think the naked pass is a much bigger weapon than reverses. Reverses take awhile to get around the edge and at that point NFL defenses have plenty of time to recognize the play. It's why reverses don't work as well in the NFL as they do in college/HS. :)

He manages to get postive yardage every time he touches the ball. I'm fine with him in the rotation. Frankly, from what I've seen of Helu, I don't mind him getting a few touches either. The only dilemma, though, is that none of them are much of a "change of pace" from the others.

Helu is. Torain and Hightower are both pounders, Helu is a speed guy. Royster is the rookie pounder, maybe you just got them mixed up

KDawg, doesn't d-line penetration kill the stretch play? That seemed to be the problem Sunday. Before Hightower could pick his lane, the linemen smothered him. And it seemed like we didn't counter with enough quick hitters.

Yes. DLine penetration (as long as they don't over penetrate and open vertical holes, which NFL DLs don't do a whole lot of :ols:) kills stretch :)

If they are going to run a reverse it need to be with Banks getting the ball. His speed will be the difference when the defense see's a reverse play coming.

Except the problem is, his inclusion in the lineup will tip the defense off to the reverse, and to the direction of the reverse. So that wouldn't work, either.

Actually, I think kdawg's point that an occasional reverse might make the D less enthusiastic in their per suit, therefore causing the sweep to work better, but causing the bootleg to work worse, is likely the big reason.

The impression I get is that one reason we run so many sweeps is to set up the bootleg. (And to tire out the DL). So running reverses might defeat that purpose.

Or, maybe we should save it for Dallas. :).

Actually, I think kdawg's point that an occasional reverse might make the D less enthusiastic in their per suit, therefore causing the sweep to work better, but causing the bootleg to work worse, is likely the big reason.

The impression I get is that one reason we run so many sweeps is to set up the bootleg. (And to tire out the DL). So running reverses might defeat that purpose.

Or, maybe we should save it for Dallas. :).

We don't run sweeps! :ols:

It's the stretch play, it's outside zone. A sweep is different :)

A sweep is generally involving multiple pulls from the OL and it's a pitch or a hand off. We run the zone blocking scheme, which is not at all the same as a sweep scheme :)

If they are going to run a reverse it need to be with Banks getting the ball. His speed will be the difference when the defense see's a reverse play coming.
Except the problem is, his inclusion in the lineup will tip the defense off to the reverse, and to the direction of the reverse. So that wouldn't work, either.

Moss is certainly more than capable of running the reverse.:D

Hightower is going to get run into the ground, in my opinion. One thing the coaches and players talked about this week was how close we were to busting a big run. They are going to put him in those positions again.

With Helu in I think we're too transparent. He's not a great blocker yet and not proven in the pass reception area.

Torain is the wildcard. He can be money, but I think he needs to be fed carries. I love Helu, but if Hightower were to miss a game I'd start Torain and keep Helu in a change of pace role.

aside from getting injured, what has Torain done to make you uncomfortable with him playing?

Didn't say I was uncomfortable, just more comfortable with Hightower. Hightower seems to really know this system and did a nice job in blitz pickup during the giants game. Which is why I think you didnt see anyone else back there for the giants game. Well, helu got one snap right?

Hopefully we will see a few dives, draws, or some more "in between the tackles" runs. It was obvious in the Giants game the offense was attempting to exploit some perceived weekness in the Giants defense. After the handoff, Hightower looked for daylight then made his cut.

I would like to see a mix and perhaps a few screens to him.

Looking for daylight is the primary way we run (our run system has its roots in the Lombardi run system). You will not see successful dives until the stretch is hitting or in some short yard situations. Most of what you see between the tackles are stretch runs were the first two reads are there (though if they are consistently open, you may see dives then). Shanny believes in doing one or two things very well and our running game has 1 base play that when it works, we can run other things. If it is not working but your guys are executing, that means something else is available (usually an action play of some sort).

Idk, I think if Banks is on the field for one play then he will be keyed on. And Im not too confident in him being on the field for a few plays in a row.

Archived