Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cardinals-Skins Predictions for Week 2

rockfan7224

So I'm bored before class and decided to scope out the Cardinals Message Board and here's is just one of the many gems I found:

I think we have a chance at winning this and here's why, I don't see Washington as a dominating defense based on one game against the Giants who were hobbled and seem somewhat hapless. Washington's best player is Orakpo and he is a good one but their DL is not that good they were especially weak at NT but brought in Barry Cofield from NYG he played in a 4-3 system but is competent, the DEs are average at best. Besides Orakpo, they have Kerrigan but he is a rookie and doesn't have an explosive move to the QB he will probably develop into a good LB in time. London Fletcher is 36 and slowing down. Their backfield is anchored by Deangelo Hall a pro-bowler with tremendous speed. Nevertheless they ranked #31 against the pass in 2010. Mainly because they could not generate much of a pass rush. Teams keyed on Orakpo and I expect we will do the same giving LB some help out there. We should be able to handle the other rushers most of the time. Chester Taylor and King could be factors in pass protection.

Shanahan has not yet had enough time and personnel to fully implement his run blocking schemes and it showed as THT gained only 2.9 ypc against a diminished Giant defense. Their best receivers are Sanatana Moss and Armstrong but both are more stretch the field type receivers and not as well adapted to the WCO which is more close quarters and physical at the WR position. Their best receiver vs. NYG was Fred Davis a 258 lb tight end. Rex Grossman has been inconsistent in his career as most of you know. But he has the experience edge.

Our major issues are travel to the East Coast, CB play and amount of pressure on the QB. Let's assume that Daryl Washington will play. Washington is only favored by 4 points which is about home field advantage points.

In spite of team strengths, the game is still about individual match ups and performance. We have a good shot at this but will have to perform well.

A common theme seems to be misunderestimating our defense which appears to be much improved over last year (basically shutting down a full strength giants offense). Most of the posters think Beanie Wells is going to run over 100+yards (didn't we hold Bradshaw and Jacobs to 75?), and that Kevin Kolb will light us up.

I'm curious what everyone's predictions are...

I'd say 31-17 Redskins, with Hightower getting his preseason groove back and Grossman having another great game.

Most of the posters think Beanie Wells is going to run over 100+yards (didn't we hold Bradshaw and Jacobs to 75?), and that Kevin Kolb will light us up.

I'd say 31-17 Redskins, with Hightower getting his preseason groove back and Grossman having another great game.

I thought it was ironic that you express some level of disbelief that they think Wells will go over 100 when we held Jacobs/Bradshaw in-check, yet you feel that Hightower will get his groove back after the Cardinals shut down DeAngelo Williams and Stewart.

Tough game. I say 24-20 Skins... but it could go either way.

Yeah I find it interesting that people are saying the NYG's offense is beat up. Last time I checked it was just their defense and we have our own injuries on D too. Anyways I think Shanny has this team more disciplined and come Sunday the Skins will show they're a different team. I also think Hightower and Moss will have great games.

31 - 13 Skins, of course

I thought it was ironic that you express some level of disbelief that they think Wells will go over 100 when we held Jacobs/Bradshaw in-check, yet you feel that Hightower will get his groove back after the Cardinals shut down DeAngelo Williams and Stewart.

Cuz they sold out to make Newton beat them. 8-in-the-box usually works in the NFL. The Cannon is quite capable of burning the coverage behind the 8-in-the-box.

Before the preseason, I was writing this skins team off. Admittedly, I was glad that I finally could just let my heart rest for a season and just try to enjoy football. But behold, the Redskins have returned to make me begin to believe in this team again. Damn you redskins, damn you. I hate to love you so much.

23-13 skins

I've always liked when someone goes behind enemy lines and posts what other opponent fans have to say about the upcoming matchup. I think we should initiate this as a weekly thread along with my favorite, the lookalike thread. Like most team posts, this one is a bit optimistic and filled with some misguided thoughts.

I for one thought a major strength of our was our interior linemen play, especially considering how well Neild played. They caused four sack and the defense as a whole held the high powered Giants attack to about 75 yards.

It just amazes me that people can simply scoff at London as if he's yesterday's news because of how old he is. I watched the game twice, and that ole man was all over the place.

The only concern I really have against the cardinals is cover that Larry Fitzgerald character. Hopefully dirty 30 will be back so they don't pick on Reed. But good investigating and nice post.

I didn't get a chance to watch that game, but watching ours it was clear that THT was only a shoelace away from a few more big runs against a Giant's D that was clearly focusing more on the run.

I think the Jacobs/Bradshaw duo is far more formidable than the Beanie Wells/Stephens-Howling attack.

I don't think "most" of the posters on that Cards board thread predicted we would thrash Grossman and you, although some clearly did: http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=57534

There are plenty that predict close games or Redskins winning:

24-20 Cardinals win. But I think it will take a defensive or special teams score again to win it.

---------------------

It's tough, we know how our team plays when heading East.

Our defense looked atrocious.

Grossman isn't as horrible as people think.

Redskins Defense looks solid.

I think Kolb will be under a lot of pressure from Orakpo and Kerrigan and I'm not sure if we'll be able to get to Grossman enough to matter.

While I would love for the Cardinals to win and will be cheering my heart out for them, I just don't think it's in the books for this week. While I think a win is possible, I'm not expecting it.

Redskins 24, Cardinals 17

-----------------

Some special teams play for the win!

Red Birds 23

Red Skins 21

-------------------------

Grossman like cam will have the best game of his nfl carrer. Kolb could not beat them with a more talneted team when they were a worse team.

Redskins 41

Cards 17

----------------

I think the Cards will go in with the same sort of gameplan on defense. They'll try to take away the running game and make them beat us through the air. I think WAS goes after what CAR did and attack our weak secondary and open up the running game that way.

I think on offense our O line struggles to keep Kolb clean. I see Beanie having a decent game, but without a passing attack our offense can't get anything going. Our team has never done well on the East Coast, and never really against WAS.

WAS 21

AZ 13

-----------------------------

Pros: The referees will be better than we had in week 1.

Washington will recover from injury and play.

Peterson will have learned that he is in the NFL, not NCAA football.

Cons: Redskins are better than predicted preseason.

Levi Brown is still starting on O-Line.

Our CBs are very weak and not ready for Primetime NFL play.

Prediction: Redskins 24, Cards 27.

---------

et cetera......we're not taking you lightly.

I have this feeling, and no, its not gas.

The 1st Cardinal drive will end up in a 3 & out, with one of the safeties or cb's jumping up and acting a fool because they made a good play; next drive, they march down the field, and a 35+ yd td pass will quiet the crowd {much like the Giants game}, but thats when it gets good.

After a little push and pull, the Skins ignite, and in a big way. Moss scores with a 60+ yd td, and the "other" T.E. will really make his mark in this one, scoring 2 td's and over 140 yds!

When the dust settles, the Skins win big

Skins 37

Cards 13

*as usual, a classy receiver in Fitzgerald looks over to our bench and says to himself "I bet I'd look good in Burgundy & Gold...:logo:

Kevin Kolb will be eating dirt all day long.... our defense knows they did not have a great game last week and they need to make up for it on the line. Haslett knows, as well as the rest of the league, that Kolb will fold under the pressure in his face all day. 24-13 Skins. Orakpo has a 2.5 sack game

Since I was bored I calculated everything from the previous thread in excel:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?353394-What-is-your-prediction-for-the-results-of-Sunday-s-Game&highlight=predictions+week+1

66 total predictions.

52 had the Skins winning, 14 had the Giants winning.

No one got the final score correct. Closest was 27-13 from sjinhan

Average score for the Skins was: 22.3 points +/- 5.8

Average score for the Giants was: 17.2 points +/- 5.6

Final score was 28-14.

I threw out some of the obviously troll predictions like 77-6 and such.

So in general we underestimated our own performance and overestimated the Giants performance although as a collective with the standard deviations we hit the mark as a whole (barely in the case of the skins prediction). We'll see how it turns out for this game. :)

Archived