Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Rushing Attack: Will we see more than stretch plays in the running game?

kingdaddy

In watching Sunday's game I don't remember seeing any traps or draws. The only running plays I remember were the stretch sweeps where Hightower would look to cut as soon as he saw something open up. I don't remember the play calling being limited to just these running plays last year. Did the FB get a single carry? I'm hoping they limited it to that because it's so early in the season and there were no mini-camps to work on other stuff.

Personally, I'd like to see Hightower and Torrain get some carries between the tackles to allow our linemen to push the d-line straight ahead and to give defenses a different look. The more we can mix up the run plays the better our play action should work and the more we can keep Rex Grossman off of his butt.

I think the running in the NYG game was meant more to keep them loading up on the front. I don't think we ever intended to ram it through them with their back line hurting so bad. This league pays more attention to teams than the media. They know the improvements the Redskins have made, and I think defenses respect Hightower's ability behind this line. We can use the threat of him to pass on teams.

On top of all that it wears the defense out by making them run laterally all game long. In the early part of the season it can work since most of the defensive guys are still finding their football shape due to the shortened off-season (that is one of the reasons why the offenses are ahead of the defenses at the moment).

I don't remember the play calling being limited to just these running plays last year.

We didn't have an OL that could effectively run the stretch play last year. And after week one, apparently we still don't.

I think this OL will improve as the year goes on though....baring injuries.

The stretch is our bread and butter. It's not to say that we won't run some draws. We ran a couple run plays out of shotgun versus the Giants, I think. But the stretch is going to be our bread and butter all year long, and sets up a major part of our offense. Mike's done pretty well for himself just running that one play over the years, and if you have the line and the running back for it, it works. There's some teams that more or less run Power all the time, because that's their bread and butter go to, some that run it up the middle a lot because that's their strength.

Just a matter of what the scheme is.

Those stretch runs set up our best play... the PA bootleg.

I don't remember us running it too much Sunday but I think you're right but I think they were setting it up for this week. When the Cardinals look at tape they will see loads of stretch plays which should open up the PA bootleg nicely.

Given that almost all our running plays are stretch plays and the others we run (with the exceptions of certain draws) require successful execution of the stretch to work, no matter where you see them go, probably not very often. Also, the bulk of our plays that go between the tackles ARE stretch plays.

I don't remember us running it too much Sunday but I think you're right but I think they were setting it up for this week. When the Cardinals look at tape they will see loads of stretch plays which should open up the PA bootleg nicely.

When you go boot depends on if and how they are stopping the stretch. If your executing but they're stopping the stretch, it means they are cheating (for instance, covering gap 1 by flowing too quickly from the backside) or they know what you got called pre snap. This means it is time to hit them with the boot or other forms of PA.

Those stretch runs set up our best play... the PA bootleg.

Correct. Not to mention Hightower is very good at running these stretch plays where he can get moving laterally, then find a seam and cut back.

The problems in week 1 were the giants loading the box and our o-line not executing. That's going to be the biggest question mark this year IMO. Will the offensive line prove adequate?

Correct. I think we ran the boot one time, and the G had a LB standing there waiting for it. We never went back to it. We showed it a ton in the preseason, and the Giants did their homework. So we left that defender standing there all day, and ran Tim. It didnt result in rushing yards for Tim, but forced the G to adjust. Which possibly opened up the passing game, or at least got them out of what they wanted to do.

Maybe we kept running the stretch to confirm they were still guarding the boot. I predict the Cardinals will have a DE or LB waiting for that boot as well.

I like run left, run right, over and over. I do want us to run to the wide side of the field more often than the short side, make the D run more!

I agree with the OP, and I posted about it in the Hightower performance thread. I posted how we ran it 4 our of 5 times with very limited success. I think Beck is suited better for the PA bootleg, Grossman didn't seem to turn back quick enough and get in position to throw. I like Beck's feet with the bootleg and teams would fear it more then Grossman's cement feet.

I hope we mix it up in the running game a little bit, it seemed to take too long for the stretch to develop and by the time anything did it was 'hello sideline' or 'let me just get a yard'. After a few repeats of the play, the OL and RBs just didn't have any burst to the corner and the play seemed dead and Hightower kept trying to go "down the hallway to look for a door thats unlocked" only to not find one. WIth that said, I was surprised when I read he had 75 yards rushing. I like that he is a cutback kind of runner, but I hope we mix it up to keep teams guessing.

Archived