Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good is our receiving?

Rpredskins

You hear all the time now about how the NFL has become a passing league and the best teams have a stockpile of good WRs and TEs. A year ago today that was pretty much the opposite of what we had. Joey Galloway was our #2 receiver followed by some dude named Anthony Armstrong.

This year Armstrong and Gaffney are, at worst, solid starters. Fred Davis has evolved into something scary and Santana Moss is pro-bowl caliber when his QB isn't throwing him dirt balls. Meanwhile there are multiple rookies who haven't even seen the field yet. Imagine if Hankerson turns into something even remotely resembling a guy like Andre Johnson.

Is it just me or did we go from no-names with no game a year ago to a deep no-name receiving corps resembling the Saints or Patriots? Not saying we are that good but teams have shown they can win Super Bowls without having a Larry Fitzgerald. Before the lockout ended this looked like it could be the downfall of the offense but suddenly our receivers don't appear to be sabotaging the offense- take away the drops and we had as good a game as anybody.

Is Rex just that good (:ols:) ? Giants secondary that bad? Seems like the first time since probably 1998 that there isn't coast-to-coast laughter when we come out in passing formations.

I hope Hankerson's preseason was just kind of a rookie jitters type situation. Just seems like there's way too much talent there to not have something come out of it. I believe Tana is gonna have a career year this year. If Rexy can fire balls in there like he did on the short routes on Sunday the Skins are gonna be one tough act to follow. He really looked good throwing at the slant routes I just think he needs a little work on not setting his receivers up to get killed on the curls. Yes it is a passing league and our receivers are definitely showing promise but let's not cut the running game short, Timmy has some serious skills as long as he doesn't fumble and as soon as Helu can get some more touches over the course of the season our offense could be the best it's looked in years.

I have a feeling that that Hankerson vs. Niles Paul will be a matchup for a 2012 roster spot. Both have size, speed, hands. I think Hankerson is more naturally gifted with pedigree, but Niles Paul certainly seemed to perform quicker.

I just hope we didn't end up with another Kelly/Thomas duo, because honestly, coming out of college based on their attributes a lot of us though they would make a pretty dynamic duo on the 'Skins for years to come.

As far as the WR core, keep in mind that in Week 1 they were going up against a lot of backups, but assuming this is somewhat of an indication of what to expect, then Moss & Cooley are no longer the only receivers that opposing defenses have to account for on passing plays anymore. Everyone seemed to be getting open frequently.

Week 2 might not even be a great indication either considering the Cardinals pass defense was pretty awful against a team that had a rookie QB and only one real threat at WR and still couldn't shut down their passing game.

I have a feeling that that Hankerson vs. Niles Paul will be a matchup for a 2012 roster spot. Both have size, speed, hands. I think Hankerson is more naturally gifted with pedigree, but Niles Paul certainly seemed to perform quicker.

I think Niles Paul is here to stay. Shanahan likes that he can play special teams as well and he was active last week for the game.

I think our receivers are good but maybe like what the Saints have, which the Saints aren't really great receivers they just have a great qb throwing them the ball. Even with their injuries I bet Brees still puts up 300yds and 2-3 td's a game with scrubs on the field.

How good is our receiving? Moss, Gaffney, and Armstrong could become the reincarnation of the Posse. They are that good.

Um, not even close. And I'm still pissed at Armstrong allowing the DB to knock that long pass out of his hands. Gotta secure the ball better than that. Plus I think he dropped at least one other throw. Anyway, these 3 pale in comparison to the Posse. That's crazy talk.

How good is our receiving? Moss, Gaffney, and Armstrong could become the reincarnation of the Posse. They are that good.

Not a chance on that one.

OK, they're good, but not even close, and they're quite old, thus not gonna last long altogether.

Let's see in a few years if Paul, Hank and Austin can evolve and what they can do. But so far, I don't see any of them as the Posse. Even if Santana have done so many things for us that he deserves a place along those 3.

Steady - Moss is better than Sanders but we dont have anyone close to the quality of Monk or Clark.

We do have two TEs though who are better receivers than anything we had back in the glory days (though not close to as good a blocker as Don Warren was). Davis is like a hybrid TE/WR and along with Moss, Gaffney and Armstrong gives us much better weapons than just about anyone in the media gives us credit for. Add in Cooley as a very reliable guy to move the chains and its a good group.

Its not the Posse though.

What we have right now at first glance is a very deep receiving corp. Moss, Gaffney, and Armstrong are a good group, but Austin, Paul, and Hankerson (that's got to be the order since Hankerson was inactive) are all receivers you could trust. Austin looked really strong in first half preseaon action this year and both the Rooks look like they have something that could be developed nicely. So, while the present likes nice, the future looks even more promising.

I saw signs of hands for sure. Davis corralled a few high hard throws. Gaffney's TD, we wouldn't have caught last year. That would have been a missile through Joey's hands last year. Rex and Gaff have renewed chemistry. Armstrong's TD, a fade, are you kidding me? Finally. No more clamoring for Marko. We are throwing smart passes to Moss this year, not the dumb two yard slant straight towards the MLB. We are letting Moss get out in space, moving laterally. He and Rex seemed unstoppable last game.

We are trending upwards, but time will tell how good they are. But we are better than last year.

Atlanta Skins Fan did a thread that included some stats and opinion about our receivers. The part about our receivers starts with this:

Secret #2: Redskins have top 5 receivers by position in NFL

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?351627-5-NFL-Secrets-The-big-lie-about-Grossman.-Redskins-have-top-5-receivers-by-position-in-NFL.-Grossman-s-best-5-years-are-in-front-of-him.-Median-age-of-13-out-of-last-24-NFL-MVP-QBs-is-33.-Super-Bowl-winning-QBs-are-system-QBs.

Ken Houston*

Sally Houston more like it.

Anyway, this will sound like a clichéd bit of non-speak, but..

They're as good as our quarterback.

I think they're quality, even if they're not glitzy giant names like Fitz ora few others. They are a solid group, overall good hands and good routerunners among our usual starting 3.

It's al up to the QB. If Rex plays well, they'll respond and play well.

~Bang

It's certainly better than last year's decrepit corp.

Gaffney is a solid 2. Armstrong can continue to develop at 3 with Stallworth's experience as a safety blanket.

Behind them is a really promising crop of Hankerson, Austin, Paul, and even Banks.

Good combination of youth and experience.

---------- Post added September-14th-2011 at 10:37 AM ----------

None of those guys are as good as Ricky Sanders much less Clark or Monk.

Something to think about. I believe this is Gaffney's last year on his contract. Stallworth is on a 1 year contract. So it's easily possible to have both Hankerson and Paul make the squad. The training camp battle between them should be for who gets some decent reps in an actual game.

I just hope we didn't end up with another Kelly/Thomas duo, because honestly, coming out of college based on their attributes a lot of us though they would make a pretty dynamic duo on the 'Skins for years to come.

Well even if they bust, it's a 3rd and 5th rounder. Not two 2nd's. They don't have an injury history. They both work hard and have a history of doing so. We know that they have a lot of potential, but are somewhat raw.

I think the parallels and comparisons between Kelly/Thomas and Hankerson/Paul are too far apart.

None of those guys are as good as Ricky Sanders much less Clark or Monk.

I would take Moss over Sanders be fair. But we dont have anyone who is even close to Monk and Clark.

You have to remember though that Monk, Clark and Sanders benefited from having better QB play than we have seen around here in about 20 years not least because they were throwing from behind consistently great O'Lines.

I would take Moss over Sanders be fair. But we dont have anyone who is even close to Monk and Clark.

You have to remember though that Monk, Clark and Sanders benefited from having better QB play than we have seen around here in about 20 years not least because they were throwing from behind consistently great O'Lines.

They did but they didn't have a Hall of Fame QB throwing to them throughout their careers. There was plenty of change at the QB position during Monk's time here from Joey T to Schroeder to Williams to Rypien. That said, you're right about the pass protection.

Archived