Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Arena Ball. Are you not entertained?

Lombardi's_kid_brother

It comes and goes. This week, with defenses still adjusting, offenses had a field day. Later in the season, when defenses are hitting more and playing together more, it'll even out.

And I always feel like if you're a great defender, or a great defense, or running a great scheme, you can match up toe to toe with anybody.

One thing that certainly stuck out to me while watching games this weekend was the absolute refusal to call holding penalties. Give any QB enough time, and he will burn you.

Yeah, they should just change the rule. All it's used for now is to effect the outcome of the game. If you are allowed to hold a guy like Orakpo 20 times then why just call it the one time at the end of the game to change the final score like they did last year? We won, sure, but Orakpo had been held on the majority of pass plays in the game, and every game.

People say that the refs don't see them all but thats a pile of horse****. That arm around the neck sometimes bending the defender back stuff happens on almost every play in every game and maybe gets called 10 times a week (I don't remember a single call in games I watched this week), with literally close to 1000 pass plays a week in all the games combined.

Make it legal to clothesline defenders or call it much more consistently.

And now they call roughing the passer if a defender hits the QB AS he is releasing the ball. So basically if a QB is throwing you can't even hit him and if you do its 15 yards, if he fumbles its either a forward pass or a tuck rule. So if I was a QB coach I'd just teach the QB to always have his arm ready to move into a throwing motion therefore negating any chance of a fumble being called unless he is blindsided.

Rules definitely contribute but the rules haven't changed since last year. As teams have been building their rosters over the past few years they choose players and build their offense around passing because it works. I mentioned this in the thread I made about our receivers, 10 or even 5 years ago the receivers on this team would have been terrifying. Running game? Not so much. And we wouldn't be winning. Green Bay wouldn't be winning either, or New Orleans or New England because you needed a feature RB. It wasn't too long ago that passing on 1st down was uncommon, now its probably a majority.

I can't help but think the pendulum will swing back to some degree. Smaller and faster defenders will be more easily crushed by a power running game and Stephen Davis type RBs will be dominant again. I think that may already be the case. Look how bad tackling has gotten (partly because of the lockout)

Smaller and faster defenders will be more easily crushed by a power running game and Stephen Davis type RBs will be dominant again. I think that may already be the case. Look how bad tackling has gotten (partly because of the lockout)

There were 7 100 yard rushers this past week. 5 of them broke one for 30+.

A lot of people speculated and Deion even said that Defenses were going to be a little out of whack the first couple of weeks this year due to the shortened training camp. That Kickoff game had me wondering where the NO and Green Bay offenses that good or where the defenses that bad.With that said, outside of a few plays our D looked pretty sharp and that gives us a bit of a leg up on the competition.

Week 2 (Pre Monday Night)

Cam Newton 432

Tom Brady 423

Philip Rivers 378

Matt Hasslebeck 358

Tony Romo sits to pee 345

Andy Dalton 332

Jason Campbell 323

A Rodgers 308

Roethlisberger 298

Stafford 294

Rexy 291

8 over 300. 11 over 290

During Week 10 last year, 17 passers topped 290. That was an outlier. In nother over week, did the total top 9.

This also would have been #2 last year in a list of weeks with most 300-yard passers. I went down to 290 this week because Roethlisberger and Stafford probably could have thrown for 400 yards if their teams had any desire to do so.

New England and Carolina seem to have a legitimate desire to throw for 400 a week this year.

To pass for 4000 yards, you need to play 16 games and average 250 per game.

Right now, 18 QBs are averaging over 270 per game. And Eli is right at 250.

The question I have is how many 5000 yard passers. For that, you need to pass for 312 a week. 9 guys seem to have a shot at that.

Brady is on pace for 7000 yards.

Only two QBs in NFL history have thrown for 5000 yards in a season - Marino in '84 and Brees in '08. Newton is pace to break Marino's record by 400 yards. He is 4th in the league in passing yards per game.

Only two QBs in NFL history have thrown for 5000 yards in a season - Marino in '84 and Brees in '08. Newton is pace to break Marino's record by 400 yards. He is 4th in the league in passing yards per game.

haha, this is blowing my mind. right now, six dudes are on pace to break the NFL record for most passing yards in a season (brady, brees, Romo sits to pee, newton, rivers, stafford), and three more (rothlisberger, hasselbeck, rogers) are within 10 yards of NFL record pace.

Rex Grossman is on pace for 4,768 yards, which would be the 7th highest total ever recorded by a quarterback ... except that there are 9 QBs ahead of him this season.

i have always been a "run first" kind of guy. i love the hogs and the gibbs-style own-the-clock, wear down the defense style of offense ... but in this league right now, running the ball more than the minimum it takes to keep the defense honest is simply a waste of downs.

haha, this is blowing my mind. right now, six dudes are on pace to break the NFL record for most passing yards in a season (brady, brees, Romo sits to pee, newton, rivers, stafford), and three more (rothlisberger, hasselbeck, rogers) are within 10 yards of NFL record pace.

Rex Grossman is on pace for 4,768 yards, which would be the 7th highest total ever recorded by a quarterback ... except that there are 9 QBs ahead of him this season.

i have always been a "run first" kind of guy. i love the hogs and the gibbs-style own-the-clock, wear down the defense style of offense ... but in this league right now, running the ball more than the minimum it takes to keep the defense honest is simply a waste of downs.

Only six players rushed the ball more than 20 times this week. 7 QBs attempted more than 40 passes.

At this point, if you hear a coach talk about "balance," that coach needs to be fired.

Archived