Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Arena Ball. Are you not entertained?

Lombardi's_kid_brother

Tom Brady 517 yards

Cam Newton 422 yards

Drew Brees 419 yards

Chad Henne 416 yards

Tony Romo sits to pee 342 yards

Philip Rivers 335 yards

Mark Sanchez 335 yards

Matt Ryan 319 yards

Jay Culter 312 yards

Aaron Rodger 312 yards on 27 for 35

Kevin Kolb 309 yards

Rex Grossman 305 yards

Matthew Stafford 305 yards

Kyle Orton 304 yards

That is 14 QBs with over 300 yards in Week One.

Last year, three QBs topped 300 yards in Week One - and two of them aren't playing right now (Manning and Palmer). In 2009, it was six. In 2008, it was 4.

Welcome to Roger Goodell's America. Where the passing yards that once made you feel guilty in a season mode of Madden seem like they are about to become a weekly occurrence.

The league has been writing rules to favor the QB for three decades now, but I think the last five years have seen us go over the tipping point. Now, you cannot hit a QB in the head and you cannot hit them below the knee. The league has made practically any contact between a receiver and a defender verbotem. And - last year - HGIC (Head Ginger in Charge) Goodell pretty much made tackling illegal.

I think what we saw this week is the culmination of everything. It wasn't so much that receivers were open. I can't remember the last time I saw so many players running so freely. You can't jam the little guys like Wes Welker. You can't hand fight the monsters like Calvin Johnson. You can't hit any receiver going across the middle or Goodell will have you arrested. Right now, defenders are little more than extras in a James Bond movie - there to put up nominal resistance for the hero.

This world seems tailored-made for Rex Grossman for what it's worth. Rex has never been a bad QB from a physical stance. He simply always played around in the margins too much - trying to throw into a window that was a foot too small. Airing out a fade when the slant route was there. That sort of thing. Now, those margins are much much larger.

In a league that has suddenly raised Chad Henne and Kyle Orton to passing gods, why not Rex? He still has liabilities that are going to cost the Skins games, more than likely. And he will never be Rodgers or Brees (at this point, it is shocking when they do NOT complete a pass). But he keeps the Redskins in the game by being competent in an era where competence gives you Steve Young numbers.

The downside of all this is a simple question: Is this football any longer? If you like defense, ff you like hits, if you like danger, I am not sure if the NFL can satisfy your needs any longer. It's all about fast dudes running free from other fast dudes.

It's the New World. Enjoy it.

Remmember how when football first started you could only run the ball? In 20 years your only gonna be able to pass it. I think it's the worst thing that can happen to the game.

It's not clear to me right now why any team would bother running the ball more than as occasional change of pace. If I'm the Panthers, I simply cut the Gordian Knot and put Cam Newton in the shotgun on every single play.

I hear ya bro.

I was saying last year that the new rules are gonna make it easy for QBs and water down the QB talent.

A hidden cost of the new QB friendly rules is toughness.

They're making it safer to play QB and the safer it gets the less important toughness will become.

It took guts to stand in the pocket knowing your could get blasted in the face by a 260+lbs heating seeking missile on a blitz.

Now its less so.

Not to mention how the 'Bellichick/Manning' rule for WRs getting chucked at the LOS.

Hilarious OP.

Sucks to play defense in the NFL right now.

I think NFL defense is going to start moving towards an Arena League model too - and it is suddenly going to make DeAngelo Hall very very valuable. The goal is not going to be stopping your opponent. The goal is going to become, forcing more mistakes than the other D. The Cowboys lost because they made bigger mistakes than the Jets, because they should have scored 40+ points. Same with the Dolphins. The Dolphins had the numbers to score 35 points.

Yeah, someone asked me if they enjoyed the Green Bay-NO game. A game like that...goes down to the wire... AN untimed play at the end of regulation? You would think great football, right? But I really didn't love it. It's the new NFL and it has been building for years. All these rules to protect the receivers are out of hand.

I think NFL defense is going to start moving towards an Arena League model too - and it is suddenly going to make DeAngelo Hall very very valuable. The goal is not going to be stopping your opponent. The goal is going to become' date=' forcing more mistakes than the other D. The Cowboys lost because they made bigger mistakes than the Jets, because they should have scored 40+ points. Same with the Dolphins. The Dolphins had the numbers to score 35 points.[/quote']

You didn't see that with the Gomes pick? I did. We will be running 3-3-6 formations by the end of the year. A 34 defense is ruling the day because you can get away with 0-4-7 formations. base formations are on the field for less than a quarter of the snaps anymore. I still feel that pressure is the key. Jam the receivers, blitz the QB. That's really your only shot.

I just want the game officiated fairly and with common sense. The ticky-tack penalties is what irritates me more than the box score. If you can't stop the opposition, then you need better play calling. But when the game is placed in the hands of the officals, then we know that the sport is going down hill. I wouldn't say that we're at the point yet.

Jam the receivers, blitz the QB. That's really your only shot.

No, that's the only way to play. The Brady-Welker play last night was textbook. The had a big blitz on and no safety help. Welker got a free release and that was that. At this point, if a receiver gets a free release off the line, he is practically uncoverable.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 02:25 PM ----------

I just want the game officiated fairly and with common sense. The ticky-tack penalties is what irritates me more than the box score. If you can't stop the opposition, then you need better play calling. But when the game is placed in the hands of the officals, then we know that the sport is going down hill. I wouldn't say that we're at the point yet.

Well...that made no sense.

But thanks for the contribution. I think.

It's not clear to me right now why any team would bother running the ball more than as occasional change of pace. If I'm the Panthers' date=' I simply cut the Gordian Knot and put Cam Newton in the shotgun on every single play.[/quote']

That's the problem. Offense has become easier then ever before. Remember the 2000 ravens? Yep, that's the best defense you will ever see again.

I think a lot of this also stems from the new kickoff rule. I'm guessing but the avg starting position off of kickoff's has to be considerably worse than it was in previous years. If offenses have to drive 40-60 extra yards over the course of the game to score TDs, that adds up bloating offensive stats a bit.

It's weak **** that's for sure. Can you imagine how much money ST21 would be getting fined in today's league? I mean, Sean was the best player I have ever seen at completely mangling someone's body and making it CLEAN... but with this tyrannical ginger d-bag at the helm, everything seems to be completely subjective and done with zero consistency.

It's terrible for the game and I hate Goodell each day a little bit more.

That is 14 QBs with over 300 yards in Week One.

Last year' date=' three QBs topped 300 yards in Week One - and two of them aren't playing right now (Manning and Palmer). In 2009, it was six. In 2008, it was 4.

Welcome to Roger Goodell's America.[/quote']

So what did Goodell do between last season and this season that would explain the explosion of 300 yard passers in Week One?

I was thinking about this in the car today, coincidence that there's a thread about it. Rich Gannon was talking about all the records for week 1 and it really pointed out that the NFL has gone arena. And that's sad.

I'm still clinging to the hope that this is an anomoly. Bump this thread after week 8

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 03:36 PM ----------

So what did Goodell do between last season and this season that would explain the explosion of 300 yard passers in Week One?

Interesting. In your world, there is no learning curve, NFL Teams take advantage of rule changes within a week.

I was thinking about this in the car today, coincidence that there's a thread about it. Rich Gannon was talking about all the records for week 1 and it really pointed out that the NFL has gone arena. And that's sad.

I'm still clinging to the hope that this is an anomoly. Bump this thread after week

it should be. guys wont have 4000 yard seasons like clockwork. i think its simply a shortened training camp, defenses not being ready, and a lot of turnovers led to a ton of points. id like to see the turnover numbers for this week, wouldnt shock me if its very high.

and a few posts above, the new kickoff rule is going to increase the amount of yards if teams are constantly starting at the 20, or inside the 20.

Archived