Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico: Bachmann: 'Crying' mother shared HPV Story

Tulane Skins Fan

Michele Bachmann again accused Rick Perry of practicing "crony capitalism" Tuesday morning, appearing on NBC's "Today" show to criticize Perry for seeking to force "innocent little 12-year-old girls or 11-year-old girls" to take a "potentially dangerous" vaccine injection.

Repeating criticism she leveled at Perry in Monday night's debate, Bachmann noted that Perry's former chief of staff had been a lobbyist for Merck when Perry tried to mandate the use of a Merck-produced vaccine for HPV.

Continue Reading

And this time, Bachmann added a bracing story that she said a woman told her in Florida overnight.

"I will tell you that I had a mother last night come up to me here in Tampa, Fla., after the debate. She told me that her little daughter took that vaccine, that injection, and she suffered from mental retardation thereafter," Bachmann said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/63369.html#ixzz1XqMEPpK7

This SEEMS like an outright lie to me by Ms. Bachmann. Or at least by the woman who told Ms. Bachmann such a thing. But before I condemn her, I'd like to know if anyone has any idea if the HPV vaccine can cause mental retardation.

Retardation would not be the best term,but most any vaccine can cause allergic reactions that could result in brain damage

http://cervical-cancer.emedtv.com/gardasil/gardasil-side-effects-p2.html

Rare Gardasil Side Effects

There are other Gardasil side effects that can occur. These side effects happen in very few patients taking Gardasil. For these side effects, it is difficult to tell whether the side effect is because of Gardasil or something else.

Some of these rare Gardasil side effects include, but are not limited to:

Gastroenteritis, which is an inflammation of the stomach and intestines, usually involving vomiting or diarrhea

Appendicitis, which is an infection or inflammation of the appendix

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which is an infection or inflammation in the pelvic area that can lead to infertility and other problems

Asthma or bronchospasms (airway spasms)

Blood clots in the legs or lungs

Seizures

Guillain-Barré syndrome..

the more severe listed side effects

Who knows if Bachmann made up the story or if it is true. She makes up so much stuff and twists facts into factoids, it's hard to know.

Slight derail. Mandatory vaccination of a product that is new, unproven really and on our young girls which may affect them for life, I would not allow my daughter (if I had one that age) to take it. And if we are being real, it's boys/men who carry the virus too, so why aren't we giving the vaccine to boys at the same age? Why is it always up to females to take care of our sexual health when males get a pass? I'm speaking about the long delayed male birth control pill, use of condoms, leaving it up to females only to prevent conception and disease. And of course I'm not speaking about all males, but the attitude where it's females who have those special responsibilities. It's up to males to step up and educate the boys and make sure that they have all the tools and information they need to take full responsibility for their reproductive freedom and health, just like females need to step up and make sure that girls have all the tools and information they need to take full responsibility for their reproductive freedom and health. I educated my daughter in these things. It starts in the home.

Retardation would not be the best term,but most any vaccine can cause allergic reactions that could result in brain damage

http://cervical-cancer.emedtv.com/gardasil/gardasil-side-effects-p2.html

Rare Gardasil Side Effects

There are other Gardasil side effects that can occur. These side effects happen in very few patients taking Gardasil. For these side effects, it is difficult to tell whether the side effect is because of Gardasil or something else.

Some of these rare Gardasil side effects include, but are not limited to:

Gastroenteritis, which is an inflammation of the stomach and intestines, usually involving vomiting or diarrhea

Appendicitis, which is an infection or inflammation of the appendix

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which is an infection or inflammation in the pelvic area that can lead to infertility and other problems

Asthma or bronchospasms (airway spasms)

Blood clots in the legs or lungs

Seizures

Guillain-Barré syndrome..

the more severe listed side effects

What I can tell you is that most of the vaccine cases have been dismissed as of today because the science is considered junk.

Regardless, none of those things listed has anything to do with mental or cognitive health.

Again, I don't know what this stuff does. It just sounds like BS to me.

Slight derail. Mandatory vaccination of a product that is new, unproven really and on our young girls which may affect them for life, I would not allow my daughter (if I had one that age) to take it. And if we are being real, it's boys/men who carry the virus too, so why aren't we giving the vaccine to boys at the same age? Why is it always up to females to take care of our sexual health when males get a pass? I'm speaking about the long delayed male birth control pill, use of condoms, leaving it up to females only to prevent conception and disease. And of course I'm not speaking about all males, but the attitude where it's females who have those special responsibilities. It's up to males to step up and educate the boys and make sure that they have all the tools and information they need to take full responsibility for their reproductive freedom and health, just like females need to step up and make sure that girls have all the tools and information they need to take full responsibility for their reproductive freedom and health. I educated my daughter in these things. It starts in the home.

Short answer, conservatives hate (or are afraid of) women. See also, women in other cultures covering their heads, faces, and bodies.

I read about that answer today.

That is an unbelievably dangerous thing for a congresswoman and presidential candidate to say without doing any research or follow-up. Vaccinations are already under attack in this country so lobbing another grenade into the debate, well, I guess that is just what Michelle Bachmann does.

What I can tell you is that most of the vaccine cases have been dismissed as of today because the science is considered junk.

Regardless, none of those things listed has anything to do with mental or cognitive health.

Again, I don't know what this stuff does. It just sounds like BS to me.

Probably is BS, but any reputable scientist will tell you the exists the chance of a adverse reaction to any vaccine.

We simply weigh the benefits/risk

I agree with Ladyskinsfan and roasted Perry for what he did, I will say what he tried to do was make the expensive vaccine available with the mandate.(which is a good thing)

my daughter wasn't taking it though

Excuse my french, but JESUS ****ING CHRIST! This lady is an isane, lying *****!!!

I am so sick of this vaccination debate. As someone who has administered many Guardasil vaccines, I am in FULL support of all young girls getting this vaccine. Studies show it is most effective when administered at the young age and will protect a generation of girls against HPV (which you cannot test male partners for) and save them the potential for developing cervical changes and cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is such a highly preventable cancer, to debate this in a religious/kids shouldn't be having sex manner is ABSURD!

I wish I would have been able to get this vaccine when I was young. It would not have encouraged me to have sex at a young age, but it surely would have saved me a lot of aniexty, painful procedures, and costly medical bills much later on in my life...

**** Michelle Bachmann for her ideology-driven agenda regarding this vaccine.

One of my very good friends is an engineer at Merck... and she basically agrees that the vaccine was rushed out too quickly and that there were several catastrophic cases because the long term studies were inadequate. Bachmann may be right in this case.

I know people want to frame the debate in the same old ways... the superstitious v. the reasonable etc... but sometimes that's too hasty

W/ that said, my friends anecdote is enough for me to be cautious, but I haven't really cared enough to do independent research

I don't believe Bachmann's story of talking to a mother. My wife specializes in special education and the term "retardation" is very taboo in that segment of society. No way in hell a mother would have said that. I find it very hard to believe she would use that term. Furthermore, Bachmann just lost the respect of just about everyone in that small segment of society by using that word.

(Of course, there's the small chance that perhaps the mother did use the term... but that doesn't take away anything else in my post)

Who knows if Bachmann made up the story or if it is true. She makes up so much stuff and twists facts into factoids, it's hard to know.

Slight derail. Mandatory vaccination of a product that is new, unproven really and on our young girls which may affect them for life, I would not allow my daughter (if I had one that age) to take it. And if we are being real, it's boys/men who carry the virus too, so why aren't we giving the vaccine to boys at the same age? Why is it always up to females to take care of our sexual health when males get a pass?

Well, in this case, I suspect that it is because women are the ones who can die of cervical cancer, while men can't? :whoknows:

I have gotten this vaccine for both of my daughters. Vaccine paranoia is way overblown in this country.

I'm speaking about the long delayed male birth control pill, use of condoms, leaving it up to females only to prevent conception and disease. And of course I'm not speaking about all males, but the attitude where it's females who have those special responsibilities. It's up to males to step up and educate the boys and make sure that they have all the tools and information they need to take full responsibility for their reproductive freedom and health, just like females need to step up and make sure that girls have all the tools and information they need to take full responsibility for their reproductive freedom and health. I educated my daughter in these things. It starts in the home.

I agree with all of this. I just don't think it applies in this particular situation.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 09:13 AM ----------

Excuse my french, but JESUS ****ING CHRIST! This lady is an isane, lying *****!!!

I am so sick of this vaccination debate. As someone who has administered many Guardasil vaccines, I am in FULL support of all young girls getting this vaccine. Studies show it is most effective when administered at the young age and will protect a generation of girls against HPV (which you cannot test male partners for) and save them the potential for developing cervical changes and cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is such a highly preventable cancer, to debate this in a religious/kids shouldn't be having sex manner is ABSURD!

I wish I would have been able to get this vaccine when I was young. It would not have encouraged me to have sex at a young age, but it surely would have saved me a lot of aniexty, painful procedures, and costly medical bills much later on in my life...

**** Michelle Bachmann for her ideology-driven agenda regarding this vaccine.

Now here is a post that has my full agreement.

Did you refuse to let your children get other vaccines?

Also' date=' if your daugther didn't get it, doesn't that support the fact that the provisions Texas put in place work?

I just find it amazing that this is Rick Perry, and the biggest threat to his candidacy is the fact that he made an effort to limit cancer cases.[/quote']

Which other vaccines?.....she got the most common ones,though we delayed some at times for health reasons.(on the advice of her Dr)

The opt out provision?....I suppose,but he still made a mistake by issuing the order w/o legislature help

there was no rush....nor does that vaccine even prevent many strains of HPV.

It ain't much of a threat to Perry

One of my very good friends is an engineer at Merck... and she basically agrees that the vaccine was rushed out too quickly and that there were several catastrophic cases because the long term studies were inadequate. Bachmann may be right in this case.

I know people want to frame the debate in the same old ways... the superstitious v. the reasonable etc... but sometimes that's too hasty

W/ that said, my friends anecdote is enough for me to be cautious, but I haven't really cared enough to do independent research

Assuming she's right, its a good thing she supports tort reform legislation currently in congress to make it impossible for this woman to sue for her daughter's injuries.

Then again, I don't really think she knows what she's talkinga bout.

LadySkinsFan - these vaccines are not given to males because HPV causes no real health threat to men. There have been some documented cases in some studies that show a possible link to a small number of penile cancer cases, but that is extremely rare. In women, HPV causes cellular changes in cervical tissue. That's why we get pap smears every year. :) they detect those changes that can lead to cervical cancer. This is very common to have these cellular changes due to HPV and if they aren't caught, a patient can develop cervical cancer. Therefore, if we can prevent HPV in girls, it will make a hugely positive impact in womens' health. :)

Archived