Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Players Feel Different About This Team and The Fans Damn Well Better Do The Same.

KingGibbs

I've been hearing, reading and watching Redskins players and coaches stating that this is a "team."

This just confirms what some of us saw developing during the preseason. Haven't had this feeling around here since who knows when. It feels different and after the gun sounded Sunday I did the obligatory fist pump and felt a satisfaction that wasn't there during past wins in recent years.

This isn't one of those "in the moment" feelings like some may suggest. I remember feeling ho-hum after last years opening game victory against the Dallas Cowboys because it felt like the 'skins were a team of individuals and not a team that would turn to their right or left and feel that guy will give his all. That's what this team consists of. An actual "team." <sniff>

I know there are going to point out the fact that it's "only one game" and to that I say no **** Sherlock. But, this team is differnt. Everything about it feels different and I'm not prediciting playoffs, but Mike Shanahan said something during training camp that after only one game seems to becoming to fruition after only "one game" and that was "This team is going to make you proud."

This will be the first time in years that the lyrics in our fight song will actually translate to what we are seeing on the field. Especailly "Fight! For old DC."

Anyone who doesn't recognize that this team is going in the right direction isn't a real fan or hasnt been paying attention the last 10 years. Players are being accountable to themselves and their teammates and they are working today. It's an awesome feeling but at the same time, fans need to understand that its possible to get better and not immediately see that translate into more wins/playoffs. It's something thats going to take time, drafts, and focus. The culture is changing and it's an awesome feeling. I just pray that the fan base and Daniel Synder doesnt get restless if it doesnt immediately translate to playoffs.

I am with you.

I have been one of the most pessismistic guys going into this season. I am feeling much better about this team this year after the win over the Giants

I am still feeling very unsettled on the long term QB situation, but that discussion can wait until the offseason. For now, I am going to enjoy watching a professional football team play every Sunday

There was a different feel to the air when we walked into the stadium. You could feel the excitement from the fans and just a general happiness in the air.

I definitely agree with this. It's very noticeable (and welcome!)

I'm not sure it will lead to a ton of wins this year, but I have no doubt this will be a very good team next year or the year after.

We're still climbing ourselves out of a huge hole that took 20 years to dig, make no mistake about it. But last year we stopped digging ourselves deeper. That was good. And now it feels like we're slowly working our way back up. I'm very happy with that.

I am with you.

I have been one of the most pessismistic guys going into this season. I am feeling much better about this team this year after the win over the Giants

I am still feeling very unsettled on the long term QB situation, but that discussion can wait until the offseason. For now, I am going to enjoy watching a professional football team play every Sunday

The icing on the cake would be if Rex is our QB for the next five years. That would mean he is playing well and we could continue to solidify the rest of the team. One can dream.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 08:52 AM ----------

You need to give it up KG, you're just a blind homer!!! ;)

I'm not a blind homer Bob. I'm just right.:D

The icing on the cake would be if Rex is our QB for the next five years. That would mean he is playing well and we could continue to solidify the rest of the team. One can dream.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 08:52 AM ----------

I'm not a blind homer Bob. I'm just right.:D

I'm lovin' the vibe and hope this ride continues. But lets remember in Zorn's 2nd year, starting 6-1, the whole "hip hip hooray" thing....I'm keeping things in perspective for now...

The team *is* different from last years early squad. 50% of the starting positions are filled by new names this season compared to last at this time. NT, RDE, LOLB, CB, S, QB, RB, FB, RG, C, and WR. The sources of drama and distraction have been eliminated and the team has a lot of younger players. You can see very easily that this isn't the same old Washington Redskins populated by players that came here to get paid.

Having said that I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet because I know this team and this fan base far too well to think what I see is stable or worthy of trust.

As big as the Giants win was for our general fan health and team psyche, this week against Arizona is actually MORE important when it comes to building real belief behind this team for me and, frankly, for them too.

As Alexander said, the Giants game is one the Redskins of years gone by lose. Great. And true. And this Cardinal game is exactly the same. The Redskins, over the years, play their best when there's adversity. They CAN rally around a death, or concept that you go 5-0 or you stay home, or media doubters to rise up and surprise someone. But, the MOMENT things start to look really bright, our Skins lay an egg rather than solidifying the positives. Losing to Arizona is a signal of the same old team. Incapable of getting out of its own way at the moment it MAY be able to arrive as something better than it has been.

I like this team and have a good feel about it, but, until it sheds all bad habits, I'm still going to be of the mind it has them.

I can't blame people for thinking that way Art. And truthfully, I still don't know how well we finish record wise. But one thing is for certain, this is a team. That cannot be debated. They play together, play for each other and won't quit. That, in and of itself, is a major step in a positive direction.

As big as the Giants win was for our general fan health and team psyche, this week against Arizona is actually MORE important when it comes to building real belief behind this team for me and, frankly, for them too.

As Alexander said, the Giants game is one the Redskins of years gone by lose. Great. And true. And this Cardinal game is exactly the same. The Redskins, over the years, play their best when there's adversity. They CAN rally around a death, or concept that you go 5-0 or you stay home, or media doubters to rise up and surprise someone. But, the MOMENT things start to look really bright, our Skins lay an egg rather than solidifying the positives. Losing to Arizona is a signal of the same old team. Incapable of getting out of its own way at the moment it MAY be able to arrive as something better than it has been.

I like this team and have a good feel about it, but, until it sheds all bad habits, I'm still going to be of the mind it has them.

It already started last week. It's hard to believe that that was our first double digit win in nearly TWO years. Another positive sign.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 09:13 AM ----------

I'm lovin' the vibe and hope this ride continues. But lets remember in Zorn's 2nd year, starting 6-1, the whole "hip hip hooray" thing....I'm keeping things in perspective for now...

Keeping things in perspective is a smart thing to do, but I'm finding it hard to contain my enthusiasm whem the players are as confident as they are. One thing that we all forget is that last years team lost six games by 4 or less and that's with a team of misfits. It's another reason I'm feeling all giggity. I've done a 180 since the offseason. That's for sure.

The key will be how the team handles itself after a loss. We'll be able to tell if the culture really has changed if there is accountability. If there continues to be finger-pointing and "passing the buck", then we'll know things haven't changed. For the record, I think that players will step up.

The key will be how the team handles itself after a loss. We'll be able to tell if the culture really has changed if there is accountability. If there continues to be finger-pointing and "passing the buck", then we'll know things haven't changed. For the record, I think that players will step up.

I feel this team will be pissed off after a loss and will proceed to take it out on the next opponent.

As I've been saying since we pieced this team together right after the lockout, the record we end with this year is almost insignificant to me. I've loved two things about how they put this roster together during the draft, in FA, and during the cut-down periods:

1) I love the character and team-first guys they've added. In two off-seasons, Shanahan and Allen have successfully torn down and rebuilt this team as a team instead of a group of guys with varying motivations.

2) I love the blend of younger veterans, well-placed older veteran leaders, and very young rookies/second-year players. I've mentioned it before in a couple threads, but the thing I love about this season is that there isn't that feeling that we better put it all together exceptionally soon. We have time with these players to build the right way and continue to upgrade positions/talent over the next couple years. Sure, some guys might not be here for the finished product, but we don't have 10-12 aging veterans who we're relying on as the heart and soul of our team. Even with the weaknesses we still have (no certain long-term QB, shaky OL, etc.), I have no doubt that we have time to address those concerns IF no one develops and/or steps up. This is the first team that I've really both loved the guys on and felt secure in the longer-term future of since the late-1990s.

If we happen to put things together earlier than scheduled...GREAT! However, if we can finish better than last year with so many guys in year 1 or 2 of this regime, how can't we be excited about the future prospects of this organization??

The other big key is if this team has a big let down or starts overlooking opponents. In recent years, even when we were a terrible team we took other teams with bad records lightly and half hearted it expecting to roll over them. All bark and no bite. I want us to take this serious, determined approach when we face that bad teams as well as the good.

I feel this team will be pissed off after a loss and will proceed to take it out on the next opponent.

I believe that too. I also know that we're going to slip up in some games this year. It's very possible that we lose this upcoming game. Even though that would disappoint me, I'd withhold my judgment on the team until I see how pissed off we look in Dallas the following Monday. To me, this season is still all about development and incremental improvements. Hopefully we're ahead of schedule, but I'm not relying on that or expecting it. It's great to be able to watch a team develop the way a team should develop. Most contenders are built this way...very few 2006 Saints teams rise up that quickly!

Very true. I'd also like to add that when it comes to ES, their first loss will trigger panic and revolt no matter how much healing this organization is doing. Cooler heads will prevail this season. It's not about the record... yet.

Archived