Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The importance of starting field position.

Audible_Red40

The starting field position is huge, and we were fantastic yesterday with this unwritten stat.

Our "D" was horrible last year, and the upgrades since then are a major plus as we all know. Last year it seemed we would give up 80-90 yard drives once or twice a game. It obviously will not be hard to better ourselves statistically on "D". We've all seen the changes in personnel and attitude.

Having said all that, our "D" looks much improved and played lights out for the most part most notably in the 2nd half.

Turnovers are a killer especially when they happen in your own end. Without that lone fumble where they started at out 27 yards line, the average starting field position for the Giants was their own 19 yard line for their other 12 possessions. With our improved "D", that smells of more short field opportunities.

6 of their 13 drives started inside the 20. 9 of their 13 drives started at the 20 or inside the 20. Take away that fumble and that translates into 50% of the time they had the ball they are starting inside their 20, and 75% of the time they have to travel at least 80 yards for a major.

Yes I know the new kick-off rule will impact this number, but let's give it up for Big Sav Rocca.

6 punts and 4 of them landed inside the 20. If our offense stalls, this guy is a big weapon.

The "D" looks much improved and if we have our opponents having to travel 80 yards 75% percent of the time, I like our chances.

The starting field position is huge, na dwe were fantastic yesterday with this unwritten stat.

Our "D" was horrible last year, and the upgrades since then are a major plus as we all know. Last year it seemed we would give up 80-90 yard drives once or twice a game. It obviously will not be hard to better ourselves statistically on "D". We've all seen the changes in personnel and attitude.

Having said all that, our "D" looks much improved and played lights out for the most part most notably in the 2nd half.

Turnovers are a killer especially when they happen in your own end. Without that lone fumble where they started at out 27 yards line, the average starting field position for the Giants was their own 19 yard line for their other 12 possessions. With our improved "D", that smells of more short field opportunities.

6 of their 13 drives started inside the 20. 9 of their 13 drives started at the 20 or inside the 20. Take away that fumble and that translates into 50% of the time they had the ball they are starting inside their 20, and 75% of the time they have to travel at least 80 yards for a major.

Yes I know the new kick-off rule will impact this number, but let's give it up for Big Sav Rocca.

6 punts and 4 of them landed inside the 20. If our offense stalls, this guy is a big weapon.

The "D" looks much improved and if we have our opponents having to travel 80 yards 75% percent of the time, I like our chances.

I absolutely agree with what your saying.

People forget about the Punter, he played a major role. Rocca was crucial and helped us GREATLY.

I absolutely agree with what your saying.

People forget about the Punter, he played a major role. Rocca was crucial and helped us GREATLY.

So will Brandon Banks. I love it when he gets a chance to return kicks because he usually makes a positive impact in field position which can change the momentum of the game.

So will Brandon Banks. I love it when he gets a chance to return kicks because he usually makes a positive impact in field position which can change the momentum of the game.

It sounds homer-ish, but I think he would have had a very nice return on the punt that was called back due to the block in the back. The block didn't help us and knocked Banks about 10 yards off course. I think he had the edge and would have gained about 15 yards on that return without the illegal block.

Archived