Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Don't Want Social Security Unchanged for Current and Those Near Retirement Age

Fergasun

Except it's not a weakness for Perry in a Republican primary...though the media might think it is. Every time Romney attacks Perry on Social Security, he sounds like a Democrat doing it.

You don't think it's a weakness when so many Red states are so poor and with so many seniors who tend more conservative are living off social security? If you don't think that's a weakness then I'm afraid you don't understand who makes up the GOP.

What's more is that while this may appeal to some Tea Party voters, it alienates the moderates and the poor, and in the general election it will alienate the Independents.

---------- Post added September-14th-2011 at 07:46 AM ----------

From those according to their abilities to those according to their needs should be in your sig.

Actually it should be "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and strength. And love your neighbor as yourself." Those are the two greatest commandments for all of the Law hangs off of these two. I could give a crap about what Marx said, I care on what my King says.

When the program was started it was setup for the year after you were supposed to die.

Why are we not sticking to that? 75 is not that old based on the millions at that level today.

So we have a Bubble of old people ready to burst like the ITtech of the 90's or houses of 2008.

If it wasn't for the 30million illegals we would be doom'ed on the payin vs. take out. (my opinion).

When the program was started it was setup for the year after you were supposed to die.

Why are we not sticking to that? 75 is not that old based on the millions at that level today.

So we have a Bubble of old people ready to burst like the ITtech of the 90's or houses of 2008.

If it wasn't for the 30million illegals we would be doom'ed on the payin vs. take out. (my opinion).

Sounds good, now can I get my SS and my Employers SS contribution back in my hands to invest myself? Thanks!

Is the govt a good steward?.....clean up their act and I bet objections lessen

the SS admin takes funds and invests them in the single most conservative investmetn in the history of the world, US securities, and then pays checks back out in a prescribed pattern... what is the complaint again?

personally, i am uuber anal conservative with the futuure and i save in a bazillion different ways. well over half of my paycheck is withdrawn before i ever even see it and goes to:

(in fairness.. this includes insurance/taxes/all other deductions)

but also has

max possible contribution to TSP (govt IRA)

max possible ROTH contribution for both me and my wife

$650 every two weeks to populate my children's 529 accounts (education "ira"s)

then an additional several hundred that goes directly into vanguard accounts....

but i am DAMNED glad to have a conservative, bland, backstop to be the base of that retirement pyramid. it allows ME to have a much more aggressive portfolio with my non-SS accounts, and provides ballance.

i want EVERYONE to have that same bland base of teh pyramid, and frankly am glad that it is understewardship, and can't be cashed out by individuals to invest in ACTUAL ponzi schemes, and blown and lost.

When I hear Romney say something like "If SS was run the same way in a corporation it would be fired" (paraphrasing) It alarms me that a program such as Social Security in which the purpose is take care of our elderly citizens would ever be considered being run like a corporation where bottom line profit is the #1 concern.

When I hear Romney say something like "If SS was run the same way in a corporation it would be fired" (paraphrasing) It alarms me that a program such as Social Security in which the purpose is take care of our elderly citizens would ever be considered being run like a corporation where bottom line profit is the #1 concern.

I have made the same/similar response to people criticizing medicare. People say "medicare is so inefficient, it only earns ___ % after overhead," or whatever. Just like social security, Medicare is for people who are the oldest and sickest and aren't likely to be able to even FIND coverage on the free market. But, it keeps costs down for everyone else by getting the elderly covered.

One more thing, most people don't even realize that a large part of what social secutiry does is provide disability insurance. Again, these are things that insurance companies won't pay, period. But the fact that someone does, i.e. SS, means that these people don't become a drain on everyone else.

You don't think it's a weakness when so many Red states are so poor and with so many seniors who tend more conservative are living off social security? If you don't think that's a weakness then I'm afraid you don't understand who makes up the GOP.

Then you'll have to explain to me how somebody who's company defrauded Medicare was able to win a Republican primary in the Florida governor's race over a solid establishment candidate.

Perry's strongest moment in the debate came in his exchanges with Romney over Social Security. If Perry goes down in the Republican primary, it will not be because of Social Security.

Then you'll have to explain to me how somebody who's company defrauded Medicare was able to win a Republican primary in the Florida governor's race over a solid establishment candidate.

Defrauding Medicare is different than calling Medicare a ponzi scheme, and aiming to cut Medicare.

Perry's strongest moment in the debate came in his exchanges with Romney over Social Security. If Perry goes down in the Republican primary, it will not be because of Social Security.

Let Perry build his campaign on the Social Security ponzi scheme....let's see how far that gets him.

the SS admin takes funds and invests them in the single most conservative investmetn in the history of the world, US securities, and then pays checks back out in a prescribed pattern... what is the complaint again?

personally, i am uuber anal conservative with the futuure and i save in a bazillion different ways. well over half of my paycheck is withdrawn before i ever even see it and goes to:

(in fairness.. this includes insurance/taxes/all other deductions)

but also has

max possible contribution to TSP (govt IRA)

max possible ROTH contribution for both me and my wife

$650 every two weeks to populate my children's 529 accounts (education "ira"s)

then an additional several hundred that goes directly into vanguard accounts....

but i am DAMNED glad to have a conservative, bland, backstop to be the base of that retirement pyramid. it allows ME to have a much more aggressive portfolio with my non-SS accounts, and provides ballance.

i want EVERYONE to have that same bland base of teh pyramid, and frankly am glad that it is understewardship, and can't be cashed out by individuals to invest in ACTUAL ponzi schemes, and blown and lost.

The "conservative", "bland", "backstop", is taxes on the future worker. Why is this so hard for people to grasp? The coming entitlements bankruptcy has been discussed for 10 years. For some reason folks just want to ignore it and pretend that it won't be a problem in 10 to 20 years.

The "conservative", "bland", "backstop", is taxes on the future worker. Why is this so hard for people to grasp? The coming entitlements bankruptcy has been discussed for 10 years. For some reason folks just want to ignore it and pretend that it won't be a problem in 10 to 20 years.

Not at all. We just understand that the demographic problem with SS is fixable.

We also understand the difference between a low level social safety net for all (SS), and saving for a comfortable retirement (everything else).

Defrauding Medicare is different than calling Medicare a ponzi scheme, and aiming to cut Medicare.

That's actually worse in my mind.

Let Perry build his campaign on the Social Security ponzi scheme....let's see how far that gets him.

Well, that's stretching it. I don't think you'll hear him use ponzi scheme much more in the campaign. I just said it won't hurt him all that much in a Republican primary. His campaign will be built on selling people on his conservatism, his stances on social issues, and his job creation record in Texas.

And for the record, here is how the Washington Post described Romney's attacks on Perry in an article today...

Despite Romney’s continued attacks, his stance on the issue drew only tepid applause from the audience. The issue is not a top priority for all seniors, several of whom said in interviews after the event that they are not at all worried that Social Security will not be there for them. In a state that has become the main stage for the national conversation over illegal immigration, residents said that issue and the overall state of the economy are of far greater urgency as they decide whom to support for president.

“None of them are going to take a chance on offending this age group,” said Bob Landino, 78, who lives in Sun Lakes and is retired from the restaurant industry. “They’re going to change it for 20-, 30-, 40-, 50-year-olds, but not if you’re already at the age of retirement. That ain’t gonna happen.”

Landino said he’s listening more for a candidate who demonstrates an ability to lead on a broad swath of topics — especially the economy.

Not at all. We just understand that the demographic problem with SS is fixable.

We also understand the difference between a low level social safety net for all (SS), and saving for a comfortable retirement (everything else).

If it is fixable why are politicians going out saying "current and those near retirement change won't be affected by social security adjustments". I think that is demographically impossible...

Archived