Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: NFC East blog - Redskins impressive in beating Giants

Califan007 The Constipated

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/30416/redskins-impressive-in-beating-giants

...The Redskins did a lot in the offseason to improve their defense as they headed into the second year in defensive coordinator Jim Haslett's 3-4 scheme. They added former Giant Barry Cofield at nose tackle, signed defensive end Stephen Bowen away from the Cowboys, brought in cornerback Josh Wilson and drafted outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan in the first round. Those additions, plus the fact of the holdovers having spent 2010 learning what Haslett wanted from them, has resulted in major improvements over last year's defense, and it showed Sunday.

Kerrigan provided the highlight-reel play when he tipped and intercepted an Eli Manning pass and returned it for a touchdown, but there were big plays all over the field from the Redskins -- and at big times. The Giants were 1-for-10 on third downs and 0-for-1 on fourth, and running backs Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs combined for just 73 yards on 19 carries -- an average of 3.8 yards per carry. Manning had a lousy game and will surely get the bulk of the blame in New York. But without a healthy tight end and with the passing-game options limited, the Giants undoubtedly believed they could and would run on the Redskins. They were disappointed...

The Redskins played an excellent all-around game in their opener. The Giants will limp home and deal with many of the major problems that were exposed in this game. But as Grossman and the Redskins prepare for next week's game against an Arizona defense that just gave up 422 yards to Cam Newton, the confidence and optimism they generated with their strong preseason has intensified, and they're surely (and justifiably) feeling very good about themselves.

The score at the end of the half was huge. The throws Grossman made to the endzone on both of his TD passes were pinpoint accurate. There's no doubt he can pick a defense apart when given time. I saw where he's 21-14 in his career as a starting QB.

Arizona is a game the Skins need to win.

Kerrigan's tip/pick 6 was HUGE! I see big tings from this team as long as they keep their intensity up, and do NOT get over confident!

(ok, time to breath, it is just one game. Breath, relax. It is a long season. Do not pin all your hopes on this team, yet!)

Seriously though...it was just one game and we have to relax a little. Personally I can't stop thinking that we are a different team. Will someone please correct me???

Every game is a game the skins "need" to win. :cool:

Seriously though, they need to keep building and keep it rolling. Make this thing real and firm up their confidence and belief.

True. But this isn't a "must-win." In fact, none of the games are this season. I know everybody is thinking paloffs but this is still a rebuilding year.

If it's a rebuilding year where we make a run, fabulous. But it was a rebuilding year 24 hours ago and that's what it still is now.

There are no games we "need" to win.

a lot of players are saying this team is "different" and i have to agree.. watching kerrigan tip/int/run back that pass is something that never happens to us. our players in the past never seemed to have that kind of awareness or hands. sure, we've tipped balls in the past, but i could never see andre carter or phillip daniels doing what kerrigan did. we've got some good young talent this year.

I think every home game is a must win for the Redskins. We need to put fear in opponents when they come here and you can only do that by dominating your opponent, which they did yesterday. A conference and division win was HUGE against an opponent who have beat us blind folded in the past. Now we need to get another conference win vs Arizona. We can't let the foot off the peddle.

I think every home game is a must win for the Redskins. We need to put fear in opponents when they come here and you can only do that by dominating your opponent, which they did yesterday. A conference and division win was HUGE against an opponent who have beat us blind folded in the past. Now we need to get another conference win vs Arizona. We can't let the foot off the peddle.

Absolutely nothing has changed here.

If this team starts out 2-5 - while showing improvement - the ES mobs are gonna be calling on Haslett, Shanny, and the janitor to be fired, as usual.

It's too bad, I thought people were getting the message that things ARE changing at Redskins Park.

Absolutely nothing has changed here.

If this team starts out 2-5 - while showing improvement - the ES mobs are gonna be calling on Haslett, Shanny, and the janitor to be fired, as usual.

It's too bad, I thought people were getting the message that things ARE changing at Redskins Park.

What better way to solidify that things are indeed changing than to win next week at home.

Even though we are in a rebuilding year, a conference win against Arizona will continue to build confidence as a Team, and players believing that we have a system that can win. Im trying not to get to overly excited about the win yesterday, beause we are considered a re-building team, but dang it, that was a huge division win!! If we are a different team, then we will begin to win games we are suppose to, and have to win.

Due to it being a rebuilding year, Arizona may not be neccessarily a "Must Win" game, but if we are going to show that we are a different team, this is a win the Redskins need because its a conference game, and this is a team we should be able to beat.

By the way, you guys had that stadium rocking yesterday, and even when we were down the fans stayed in it. Great job by everyone, fans, coaches, players, and team!

This was such a great win for us. I knew that Fred Davis would have a big game. For years, I've heard the organization talk about 2 TE sets that could give defenses nightmares. I hope Cooley can eventually get his legs under him. This was an exciting win for this team. Second half defensively, we looked great. The blocked FG was a huge play of the game. I'll celebrate today and worry about the Cardinals tomorrow.

:helmet:

There's no such thing as a must win game in week 2. A big win against Arizona would be great for the team though, and I expect that's exactly what will happen. Zona has always struggled coming to the east coast. and I think it's a good match up for the Skins.

This was such a great win for us. I knew that Fred Davis would have a big game. For years, I've heard the organization talk about 2 TE sets that could give defenses nightmares. I hope Cooley can eventually get his legs under him. This was an exciting win for this team. Second half defensively, we looked great. The blocked FG was a huge play of the game. I'll celebrate today and worry about the Cardinals tomorrow.

:helmet:

The blocked field goal was nice, but it is a lot easier to block a shank that travels much lower and off target. Still a good block though.

Archived