Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unseen Impact Players

KDawg

We all know that guys like Kerrigan, Grossman, Neild, etc played well. It's not even a question, but there are some guys who aren't garnering the same kind of attention that deserve some kudos.

Let's start with Rak. I haven't rewatched the game in detail yet, but, he generated pressure all game long and was held a number of times with no call. I observed others in other games held just like Rak with no flag, either, so its something the officials aren't calling. But he seems MUCH better in run support than he has been as well. And let's not forget the blocked field goal.

Barry Cofield. He clogged the middle all game long, and there were a number of plays that he was double teammed and allowed Kerrigan and Rak to go play football on the edges. He didn't show up on the stat sheet, but he was out there doing his job, and he should be commended for that every step of the way.

DeAngelo Hall. He came to play. He brought the intensity and had pads popping. That's what I want to see out of a "C" every week.

London Fletcher. He played well, but his impact was bigger after the game. Apparently, when Mike Shanahan wanted to give the team Monday off, Fletcher told him and his teammates that the Redskins would be reporting to work anyways. His impact on this team is undeniable.

OJ Atogwe. He is simply all over the field. He seemed to always be around the football. I love that out of a free safety. In that regard, he reminded me of another safety we had for a few years. He certainly isn't that guy, and nor would I ever compare him, but it seems to me that he has a ball hawk mentality. He is such a huge upgrade over last year's FS crop that it's almost not funny.

And I'd be completely wrong to ignore Tim Hightower's impact. People here are dogging him for his performance, but THT actually had a pretty solid game. He held on to the football and didn't cost us yards due to trying to make something happen that wasn't there. His explosiveness made the Giants focus on stopping the run, and that opened up the passing attack a bit. There were quite a few plays where THT was dead in the water in the backfield, only to turn a negative into a positive. That is an impact on the game that doesn't really make an appearance in the stat sheet.

Jabar Gaffney. I don't mean to not mention Santana, believe me. Santana played great. But Gaffney's presence on the field is gigantic for us. He had 3 receptions for 54 yards and a touchdown, but he's a dynamic player who helps to take some focus off Santana Moss.

On to a similar topic look at our receiving statistics...

Fred Davis: 5 rec, 105 yards

Santana Moss: 6 rec, 76 yards

Jabar Gaffney: 3 rec, 54 yards

Tim Hightower: 3 rec, 25 yards

Anthony Armstrong: 2 rec, 24 yards

Chris Cooley: 2 rec, 21 yards

Our receivers accounted for 11 receptions, our tight ends accounted for 7 receptions, and our backs had 3. That's a credit to Grossman and our offensive play calling. Spread the football around. Get it in the hands of your playmakers and let them make a play.

I'm not going to talk about the negatives, there are a few, but none that need to be mentioned here. We have a football team on our hands, Redskin nation. I'm not sure how good we'll be, I just know we're going to actually have a football team on the field week in and week out for the first time in years.

You can't forget about Brandon Banks.....he is a threat to break one every time and he fielded every ball cleanly. I love the energy he brings to the special teams return game. He is a momentum changer with the way he can take bad field position and turn it into good field position.

It also appears that Anthony Armstrong is going to have a bigger role on this years team. His catch and roll on the one yard line was huge.

Speed kills and the Skins have some burners between Banks, Moss and Armstrong......and Davis at TE is pretty fast himself.

I am curious if the Redskins start to get good if Rak will start to get some holding calls thrown his way. There must be a reason that refs eternally turn a blind eye to it.

Like I mentioned in the OP, I saw the same thing in other games around the league on the Red Zone Channel in the 1 o'clockers. It happens so often I think the refs are told not to call it if the OL has their arms inside the body of the defender. I imagine that they'd call it moreso if the OLs arms become extended.

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 08:32 AM ----------

I'd mention Bowen and Carriker as well, they both played tough

For sure. Our DL as a whole played quite well. Two other great additions.

Hall surprised the hell out of me yesterday with his intensity. Loved his tackling. Not only was he laying the wood, but wrapping them up pin the process. .

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 08:36 AM ----------

Like I mentioned in the OP, I saw the same thing in other games around the league on the Red Zone Channel in the 1 o'clockers. It happens so often I think the refs are told not to call it if the OL has their arms inside the body of the defender. I imagine that they'd call it moreso if the OLs arms become extended.

My guess is they aren't calling it because the LB's/DE's aren't making a concerted effort to break free of the hook and are trying to bait the ref's into a holding call?

I'm not going to talk about the negatives, there are a few, but none that need to be mentioned here. We have a football team on our hands, Redskin nation. I'm not sure how good we'll be, I just know we're going to actually have a football team on the field week in and week out for the first time in years.

True that. I kept waiting for the Skins to implode after a mistake (e.g., missed FG, sack or holding penalty) but they kept right on going. I think you are right in giving kudos to Hightower. Yes, his ypc dropped to nothing in the second half but the Giants had their entire team up so that there would be no lanes opening up in stretch zone running plays. Hightower had to work really hard just to get 1-2 yards. Interestingly, he seemed to get more yards at the very end of the game when they ran it straight up the middle.

Interestingly, he seemed to get more yards at the very end of the game when they ran it straight up the middle.

They stopped running zone plays and called the downhill game at that point. It's a much different blocking scheme than the zone stuff.

I am curious if the Redskins start to get good if Rak will start to get some holding calls thrown his way. There must be a reason that refs eternally turn a blind eye to it.

Because maybe he was porrly coached one summer and is now playing for the holding call rather than playing for the sack? I hope to God that's not true, but I would be inclined to believe it (especially after the way week 1 ended last year) that once he knew he was in a favorable position to get a holding call, he switches over into trying to sell the hold and not get the sack. Again, I hope it's not true, but sometimes I just get the feeling...

Surprised Im not seeing Sav Rocca on here. Ladies and Gentlemen hes a game changer in the punting game we havent had in a long time. He made the Giants have to drive 85 + yds. all game long.

yep I agree, dude was money!! hopefully he can keep that going all season, he was nailing the long kicks and dropping the short ones right along the 10 giving our guys a chance to down the pall and pin em deep... it was a HUGE improvement.... wonder if he can kick FGs??

Surprised Im not seeing Sav Rocca on here. Ladies and Gentlemen hes a game changer in the punting game we havent had in a long time. He made the Giants have to drive 85 + yds. all game long.

Someone mentioned him in the after posts, and I didn't mean to leave him off. He certainly can kick.

yep I agree, dude was money!! hopefully he can keep that going all season, he was nailing the long kicks and dropping the short ones right along the 10 giving our guys a chance to down the pall and pin em deep... it was a HUGE improvement.... wonder if he can kick FGs??

saw highlights from the vikings-chargers game, they said nate kaeding got hurt so they couldnt attempt FG's. then decided to try the punter and he nailed a 40 yarder.. i bet rocca could do better than gano

Archived