Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Been Ten Years

Henry

It's weird to think that kids today see 9/11 as we see Pearl Harbor, history they only hear stories about,
I'd have to disagree somewhat, although you're right, as far as experiencing the horror for themselves like we did, but all the footage is there for them to see. Everything that we saw from a television standpoint, they're able to see. Even moreso with all of the recent doc's telling the story from different pov's, from the terrorists, to the president himself, law enforcement/search and rescue/FDNY, to random people who just happened to have video cameras that day.

With Pearl Harbor, even 10 years ago, it was so long ago, and there is so little footage, that it's really hard to get a mental image of what that day was like, unless you hear it from someone else who was actually alive at that time. My 89 year old grandmother witnessed both.

There is truth in what you both say, but I do believe that the images available can also transmit the horrors of that day...even for those who were too young at the time or not yet born.

My boys are ages 9 & 12 and until today 9/11 was nothing but stories to them...and those stories were rather sanitized. In fact, last night my 12 year old wrote "Remember 9/11" in chalk on the street in front of our house...not because he truely understood the significance, but because his civics teacher would give the kids extra credit if they did something to mark the anniversary. He knew the stories about terrorists & planes hitting buildings in NYC & DC, but the full impact was just lost in translation.

They understand a little better now thanks to the History channel. They were watching this morning when the documentary started. They didn't watch for long because when the 12 year old realized he was seeing people fall from the building, he freaked out! Fortunately, my husband quickly turned off the TV, and my son chose to distract himself with a video game. Interestingly, the same images didn't affect my 9 year old as much because he didn't seem to think it was real (thank God for small favors!).

While I do think it's important for them to understand the significance of today, I also want them to remain innocent for a bit longer. The images are there & the 1st person accounts are there...but I plan to wait a few more years before exposing them further to the reality of the day. It's a gift I can give them that we were denied.

The documentary film about a rookie firefighter that was on CBS last night was incredible. The faces of the firefighting chiefs and veteran firefighters told the story of that whole day. I hate watching any show/news about that day b/c it's just too awful, but ended up watching with my wife. Incredibly moving.

I caught some of that and it was really powerful, especially when they talked about how little they could really find out about what was going on. Alot of them didn't even realized the first tower had collapsed, they just knew something major had happened.

Archived