Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Been Ten Years

Henry

Crazy that it's already been ten years. This was our Kennedy moment. Our Pearl Harbor. Who doesn't know exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard or first saw those images.

I want to also focus on the amazing. Those rescue workers. The average citizens who ringed city blocks to give blood who gave so much that for the first time ever that the blood banks had to close because they had no more capacity. To all those who rushed out the doors and volunteered to defend our nation with the knowledge that they were putting their lives at risk. To those that signed and served you have my gratitude and respect.

I was at school; I don't think I even knew the Towers collapsed until either later that night or the next morning (or maybe I did know and was just too dazed).

BTW:

8:46 AM: Moment of silence (observance of time AA Flight 11 struck North Tower)

9:03 AM: Moment of silence (observance of time UA Flight 175 struck South Tower)

9:37 AM: Moment of silence (observance of time AA Flight 77 struck the Pentagon)

9:59 AM: Moment of silence (observance of time of fall of the South Tower)

10:03 AM: Moment of silence (observance of time UA Flight 93 crashed near Shanksville, Pennsylvania)

10:28 AM Moment of silence (observance of time of fall of the North Tower)

Read more: http://www.cbs6albany.com/articles/schedule-1287845-memorial-.html#ixzz1Xe6BCgU7

Funny how weird "life" is. The same passion and Patriotism that fuels our feelings on this day come from the same place that the hate and disgust for America came from for those that carried out these attacks against us. The hate that these people felt and many feel for us is immesurable. It's so deep rooted in their beliefs that they commit suicide just to kill one of us, so sick and twisted, "cowards". Yet, we had "heroes" go into those towers knowing they probably wouldn't come out, pilots leaving the ground at Andrews AFB knowing they may have to use their planes as battering rams to bring down a plane, soldiers, sailors, Airmen and Marines that put their lives on the line every day for their beliefs. We chose freedom, they chose religion.

I know it's cliche' "freedom isn't free" but I think the vast majority of Americans truly take freedom for granted, because of comments like "why do we care about these other countries" or "why are we there anyway, wasting money we should be spending on our own country". Freedom is so precious and special, it's so difficult to put into words, especially since most of us have never known a world without it. I've served in Bosnia and Iraq, the people in those countries have a look in their eyes like dogs that have been beaten their entire lives. I went to a compound in Kirkuk Iraq, while looking out a window I had an Army Major tell me to look at the people when they walk by, notice how their eyes and head never look at the building. This building used to be an Iraqi intelligence headquarters, if you were caught looking at the building, you were executed. I was shown the prison cells that still had blood stained walls. That's the reason we're in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, that's whey we fight, because freedom is so precious and deserved by everyone on this planet.

I was in Iraq in 05 when they held the elections, freely, for the first time. We had a labor pool of 10 Iraqi nationals, they were late that day because they all went to vote. When they showed up at the shop they were showing us the purple stain on their fingers where they had dipped them in ink to cast their vote. They no longer looked like whipped dogs, their was a light of hope in thier eyes, a sense of pride and joy. These grown men hugged us and thanked us for everything that "we" had done, they were so thankful that "we" gave them freedom.

On this day, on such a sad, somber day, this is what I think of. I think of this because I think on 9/11 we as a nation were reminded that we're not untouchable, terrorism just doesn't happen in far away places to people we don't know, it can happen anytime, anyplace and freedom isn't free.

God bless all of those families who lost someone on this day ten years ago. God bless those who serve. God bless America, even the ones who live here who don't really care about the freedom and liberties that it provides. Hug your family and friends, let them know you love them.

May all the victims rest in peace, God bless them.

This is a part of the french tribute to them in association with a US citizen.

http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffrenchmorning.com%2Fny%2F2011%2F09%2F09%2Fles-francais-derriere-le-drapeau-du-souvenir%2F&act=url

The Flag of Honor.

P1160824.jpg&w=270&h=270&zc=1

This one in Paris

Paris-commemore-en-grande-pompe-les-attentats-du-11-Septembre_medium.jpg

I went to work that day and almost didn't make it back out. Thanks to everyone at the Pentagon, BAE Systems, and all the emergency personnel for keeping everyone safe. Since then I've been to your backyard and seen how you run and hide. Shaking in your crappy boots while the might of our armed forces patrols the area as you cower behind women and children. I've been to Afghanistan and Iraq and I've seen the difference we all make. All gave some, but some gave all. Never. Forget.

This is my prayer from our time of worship this morning.

Our Father at your son’s word your power stopped the winds and the storm from sinking that small vessel, and your disciples sat in awe at the power you displayed. Father, today we stand 10 years after a date which for many of us stands as the greatest storm we have ever seen. In that day of fear, confusion, and terror we in our own boats clung to one another in fear as we watched the waves of smoke and ash swirl around us. In the days following we cried out in pain and in sorrow confused and angry.

Today O God, you have cleared the skies of the clouds of smoke, you have pushed back the walls of flame, and you have called us to trust not in the strength of our boats or the might of our oars, but instead you have called out to us, “Peace! Be still”. And in those words through your grace the torrent in our lives ceases and we know that you are God.

10 years later we see the still rising cost of those attacks, thousands dead and more injured, we see our sons and daughters fighting on foreign shores where we have lost thousands more, with 100’s of thousands more lost in the violence of war. Our God, we cry out to you today again as the disciples in that boat on the waters of Galilee…. “Save us Oh God for we are perishing” Raise your hands today again against the storms…speak into the fierce winds once more…. “Peace! Be still”

Amen

I think looking back the United States and all of the Coalitions that have fought terrorism to the for such a de-centralized force an almost total defeat.

It was called the largest coalition ever assembled. I understand Paul Krugman can only see the bad in the world, I feel i saw the opposite.

The innocent victims of 9/11 were avenged with quite a bit of hope and change for our future generations as President Obama has doubled down on the forced retirement of AlQaeda upper management.

It's weird to think that kids today see 9/11 as we see Pearl Harbor, history they only hear stories about,

I'd have to disagree somewhat, although you're right, as far as experiencing the horror for themselves like we did, but all the footage is there for them to see. Everything that we saw from a television standpoint, they're able to see. Even moreso with all of the recent doc's telling the story from different pov's, from the terrorists, to the president himself, law enforcement/search and rescue/FDNY, to random people who just happened to have video cameras that day.

With Pearl Harbor, even 10 years ago, it was so long ago, and there is so little footage, that it's really hard to get a mental image of what that day was like, unless you hear it from someone else who was actually alive at that time. My 89 year old grandmother witnessed both.

I'd have to disagree somewhat, although you're right, as far as experiencing the horror for themselves like we did, but all the footage is there for them to see. Everything that we saw from a television standpoint, they're able to see. Even moreso with all of the recent doc's telling the story from different pov's, from the terrorists, to the president himself, law enforcement/search and rescue/FDNY, to random people who just happened to have video cameras that day.

With Pearl Harbor, even 10 years ago, it was so long ago, and there is so little footage, that it's really hard to get a mental image of what that day was like, unless you hear it from someone else who was actually alive at that time. My 89 year old grandmother witnessed both.

This is true. The amount of material shot on that day is immense. But you just cannot understand the chaos unless you were alive and old enough to comprehend what was going on. I'm sure a lot of us especially, since a lot of people from this area have parents working in The Pentagon.

This is true. The amount of material shot on that day is immense. But you just cannot understand the chaos unless you were alive and old enough to comprehend what was going on. I'm sure a lot of us especially, since a lot of people from this area have parents working in The Pentagon.

Yeah, my dad (retired Air Force Lt. Colonel) worked at the Pentagon at that time, and I actually feared that he was there, until he picked me up from school that day. His office wasn't that far from where the plane hit either.

Archived