Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Greatest Speech Ever Made" - By Charlie Chaplin (Video)

The Caretaker

I'm sure many of you have seen this before, the dictator speech given by Chaplin, this video was remixed with music and clips that relate to our world now, I just wanted to share this with the tailgate community as it seems to not only compliment this forum community but our world today. Definitely brought a tear to my eye, funny how this guy is a comedian. It seems like the satirists are filled with the most reason these days.

A lot of great things are said especially the bit on how people want to love each other. It's definitely a quote from an anti-cynic and is actually refreshing not to hear about how ugly mankind's nature is.

I do find his last statement interesting, "In the name of Democracy, let us all unite!"

It's not necessarily a contradiction, but doesn't democracy imply voting for differing candidates or parties? Doesn't this lead to squabbling over different ways to do things, factions and disunity?

A lot of great things are said especially the bit on how people want to love each other. It's definitely a quote from an anti-cynic and is actually refreshing not to hear about how ugly mankind's nature is.

I do find his last statement interesting, "In the name of Democracy, let us all unite!"

It's not necessarily a contradiction, but doesn't democracy imply voting for differing candidates or parties? Doesn't this lead to squabbling over different ways to do things, factions and disunity?

That is an interesting point, in the present world I would say it does seem like a contradiction, however, if you take into account when this was made (1940), I would speculate into thinking that individuals during that time especially in the countries involved in WWII, had a "blind" allegiance to democracy, but that's just a guess.

I suspect people didn't take democratic forms of government for granted back then the way they do today, and with good reason. Democracies were disappearing at an alarming rate, with dire results, and the few that were left were considered the last best hope for humanity, which of course they were.

Archived