Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Intentional INT's and other strange play calls

addicted

The home teams on there own 40 yard line. It's 3rd and 20+ yards after a second down sack. The Punter was injured earlier in the game. Coach tells QB to throw the ball to the 3 yard line to the safety as an intentional INT and tells the offense to be ready. Coach calls play because he wants to pin the opposing team back to the goal line and doesn't trust his back up punter to be able to do that.

Do you agree with this decision?

Seems weird to think that throwing an INT could be a play call but if that was facing the team on an impossible 3rd down with no punter I would agree with it

I was just thinking about weird senarios and situations that usually under no circumstances wouldn't be the right call but under specific ones they make sense.

Kind of like Green Bay in SuperBowl XXXII allowing the Denver Broncos to score the winning TD with under 2 minutes left on the clock. At that time for those who don't know about this

"This left the Broncos facing second and goal with 1:47 left on the clock. The Packers had two timeouts remaining.Packers coach Mike Holmgren told his team to let the Broncos score to maximize the time the Packers would have on the clock for a potentially game-tying drive. He admitted later that he had thought that it was first and goal rather than second and goal, crucial to clock management decision making on the play.[4] Davis did score his third rushing touchdown on second and goal, leaving 1:45 on the clock. The Broncos now had a one touchdown lead, at 31-24."

Can you think of others that wouldn't make sense except that 1% of the time?

The Patriots going for it on 4th and 2 from about their own 20 with 2 minutes left in the game. They were winning the game.

Also Belichick gave the other team a safety late in the 4th quarter once when the Patriots were already losing the game. Instead of punting from the back of the endzone they got to punt from the 20, then got the ball back 3 plays later and scored a TD and won the game.

Not really play calls per se but just a couple came to my mind...

I always find it annoying when a receiver who's clearly going to lose yards decides to catch the ball behind the LoS. It's much smarter to just bat the ball down and take the incompletion.

Same thing when DBs intercept passes on 4th down. Unless you have a clear shot at a return that will net you yardage, it's better to just knock the ball down and take it at the previous spot.

I always find it annoying when a receiver who's clearly going to lose yards decides to catch the ball behind the LoS. It's much smarter to just bat the ball down and take the incompletion.
Two bad possibilities for the reciever:

1. You just fumbled a backwards lateral, not dropped a forward pass. Now the defensive player closest to you scoops up the turnover, with probably nothing between him and the endzone but air.

2. The play was designed to get you into open space, to beat the lone defender guarding you that's shorter smaller and less-paid than you, to get YAC. You just deliberately gave up on that play? Welcome to the bench, the coach's doghouse, and a worse razzing than Clinton Portis got for going down "to protect the ball".

Two bad possibilities for the reciever:

1. You just fumbled a backwards lateral, not dropped a forward pass. Now the defensive player closest to you scoops up the turnover, with probably nothing between him and the endzone but air.

2. The play was designed to get you into open space, to beat the lone defender guarding you that's shorter smaller and less-paid than you, to get YAC. You just deliberately gave up on that play? Welcome to the bench, the coach's doghouse, and a worse razzing than Clinton Portis got for going down "to protect the ball".

I'm talking about passes that are clearly forward but still behind the LoS with NO chance at YAC. Obviously if you're giving the ball to a guy like Moss and he has some room to work with you take your chances but there are plenty of times I've seen us throw screens to guys like Cooley and Sellers who are obviously gunna get drilled and we'd be better off just dropping the ball and taking no gain instead of a 2-3 yard loss.

I'm talking about passes that are clearly forward but still behind the LoS with NO chance at YAC. Obviously if you're giving the ball to a guy like Moss and he has some room to work with you take your chances but there are plenty of times I've seen us throw screens to guys like Cooley and Sellers who are obviously gunna get drilled and we'd be better off just dropping the ball and taking no gain instead of a 2-3 yard loss.
I get what you're saying, but you have to make the assumption that the player knows how the play is going to end up. Moss, Cooley and Sellers have made something out of nothing in that situation before.

And this man will still be greeting the receiver afterwards.

mike-shanahan-ap-091010_606.jpg

Gibbs had the kicker kick a field goal in overtime a few years ago on 2nd or 3rd down. I can't remember what game it was but that was a strange call at the time. It wasn't a 20-30 yarder either. I think it was about 40 yards.
Against Miami in 2007. Yeah, we were running the ball well on them at the end. Probably could have run some more for no risk and broken another nice gain.

Against Miami in 2007. Yeah, we were running the ball well on them at the end. Probably could have run some more for no risk and broken another nice gain.

I was there and very confused. He basically said later that he couldn't trust the team not to get a hold and push them out of field goal range. Can't say he doesn't know the team!

This thread rocks. Thanks for that Joey T. story, HG!

Gibbs had the kicker kick a field goal in overtime a few years ago on 2nd or 3rd down. I can't remember what game it was but that was a strange call at the time. It wasn't a 20-30 yarder either. I think it was about 40 yards.

Usually it's smart to kick a field goal on third down in such a situation, because if a hold is bobbled or something you have one more down to try again.

Archived