Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Plaxico Burress Rips Giants

ouvan59

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6947235/plaxico-burress-rips-new-york-giants-reflects-prison-lesson

Plaxico rips Coughlin and Eli. I love how he says that Coughlin needs to treat them like men and then whines that he didn't get hugs from him and Eli. In the land of "Just don't get it" he may not be King but he's at least a member of Parliament.

He not only shot himself in the foot but he did the same to the Giants. He had a responsibility to the Giants and he took a chance that got him in trouble and off the team. He has no one to blame but himself. No one owed him anything after he shot himself. If he was hurt in an offseason freakish accident that wasn't his fault, then I could see him being upset.

;8513071']He not only shot himself in the foot but he did the same to the Giants. He had a responsibility to the Giants and he took a chance that got him in trouble and off the team. He has no one to blame but himself. No one owed him anything after he shot himself. If he was hurt in an offseason freakish accident that wasn't his fault' date=' then I could see him being upset.[/quote']

Yep, he's acting like he was a victim.

There can't be too many people sitting in jail for shooting themselves.

I can kinda see where he's coming from though. How would you feel if you made a stupid decision, then everyone who you thought cared about you, left you for dead?

If I walked into my bosses office tomorrow after doing the same thing I would expect nothing less. Heck my Dad would have said the same thing Coughlin did. He effed up bigtime and he completely screwed his team in the process.

"I'm like, forget support -- how about some concern? I did just have a bullet in my leg. And then I sat in his office, and he pushed back his chair and goes, 'I'm glad you didn't kill anybody!' Man, we're paid too much to be treated like kids. He doesn't realize that we're grown men and actually have kids of our own."

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

(BTW, I do think his sentence was harsh.)

There can't be too many people sitting in jail for shooting themselves.

I can kinda see where he's coming from though. How would you feel if you made a stupid decision, then everyone who you thought cared about you, left you for dead?

Agreed

Anyone thinking he doesn't have a point just needs to look at Mike Vick

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-04-05/sports/17895319_1_federal-dogfighting-charges-satellite-prison-camp-million-in-bonus-money

"Falcons owner Arthur Blank has been communicating by letter with Vick, who is at the United States Penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., incarcerated at the facility's minimum security satellite prison camp."

An NFL owner seemed to give more of a crap about Vick then the QB who benefited from him on the team the most or the coach he won a SB for

He has a point, the fact that he was responsible for the incident shouldn't matter

If someone I worked with accidentally shot himself I'd be concerned for his well being first. Sorry guys but football is a game. Yes it sucks and yes he was stupid and did it to himself... so what? We only feel concern for the people we know when we've fully investigated the situation and are sure that there was entirely nothing they could do to avoid a negative outcome?

Waaaah. Guess what? Coughlin's 65 years old. He's of a generation that didn't coddle its children. He's the kind of coach who believes he should demand excellence from his excellent players and call them on it when they don't deliver. The kind of boss who thinks asking a player to take responsibility for his own performance is treating him like a man. That may not be for everyone, but there are a pretty fair number of people who've had a pretty fair amount of success playing for Coughlin and others just like him.

Burress is upset that Coughlin and Giants quarterback Eli Manning didn't visit him in prison. Can't figure out why they didn't do that. Apparently, he hasn't considered the possibility that they can't stand him, and that that might have something to do with (a) the way he conducted himself when he was playing for the Giants or (B) the fact that he (not them!) committed a stupid crime that let them and the rest of the organization down, wrecked at least one season and basically left them all out to dry while he went away for two years. Somebody does that to me? And I didn't like him in the first place? I'm probably not going to go visit him in prison.

If that makes me more a Coughlin than a Rex Ryan, so be it. My advice to Burress, when he gets his copy of Men's Journal in the mail, is to look at the first word of its title -- the first three letters before the apostrophe, and think about maybe being one.

Here is Dan Graziano's response to Burress' whining ^^^

Surprised to see him take such a strong stance on it.

;8513071']He not only shot himself in the foot but he did the same to the Giants. He had a responsibility to the Giants and he took a chance that got him in trouble and off the team. He has no one to blame but himself. No one owed him anything after he shot himself. If he was hurt in an offseason freakish accident that wasn't his fault' date=' then I could see him being upset.[/quote']

You're absolutely right. It's hard to disagree with you but I think the overall point was missed. He's just talking about his qb and head coach not showing concern over his health and well-being. The three of them won a SB together and not showing any concern over his health and well-being had to hurt Plax. I really do agree with you he has nobody to blame but himself. But your team runs itself as a family organization and for 2 of the leaders of that family, to not show any concern would cut anyone deep.

:helmet:

. The three of them won a SB together and not showing any concern over his health and well-being had to hurt Plax.

Actually it was the 60 or so of them won a SB together. And they aren't his mom and dad. One is his boss and the other is a co-worker. This is the same guy that didn't have enough respect for his team, boss or teammates that he was suspended multiple times including twice in his last season with the Giants. He doesn't give a crap about anybody but himself so why should they give a crap about him. Here is an excerpt from the NY Times article reporting the shooting:

.It is the latest controversy involving Burress, who signed a five-year, $35 million contract with the Giants just before the season opener. He was suspended for 12 days, including a victory over Seattle, because he missed meetings without explanation.

Against San Francisco on Oct. 19, Burress shouted at Coach Tom Coughlin on the sideline after drawing an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty. The N.F.L. fined Burress $45,000 for verbally abusing the officials.

Coughlin held him out of the first quarter of the Oct. 26 game against the Steelers because he missed treatment on a neck and shoulder injury the day before.

Burress, 31, has shrugged off past problems with little contrition, often describing his job as little more than catching passes, not being a team leader.

The Giants and Coughlin, not known for his tolerance of players who attract negative attention, have handled Burress with unusual patience. Burress has admitted to losing count of the fines he has incurred for team violations over the years, but his easygoing personality and production have helped his relationship with the franchise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/sports/football/30burress.html

Sorry but he's the one that had no respect for his teammates. Not the other way around.

Actually it was the 60 or so of them won a SB together. And they aren't his mom and dad. One is his boss and the other is a co-worker. This is the same guy that didn't have enough respect for his team, boss or teammates that he was suspended multiple times including twice in his last season with the Giants. He doesn't give a crap about anybody but himself so why should they give a crap about him. Here is an excerpt from the NY Times article reporting the shooting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/sports/football/30burress.html

Sorry but he's the one that had no respect for his teammates. Not the other way around.

I'm just curious but having said all that, why were the Giants interested in bringing Plax back? None of his teammates have spoken ill about him since being in prison and his release. Many players on the Giants openly advocated bringing Plax back. So he must not have been that bad of a player.

I'm just curious but having said all that, why were the Giants interested in bringing Plax back? None of his teammates have spoken ill about him since being in prison and his release. Many players on the Giants openly advocated bringing Plax back. So he must not have been that bad of a player.

For the same reason they had him on there in the first place. He's a good football player. All the guys in the lockerroom don't have to be great guys. And Coughlin didn't speak poorly of him either. He just didn't hug him to his breast and tell him it's alright.

For the same reason they had him on there in the first place. He's a good football player. All the guys in the lockerroom don't have to be great guys. And Coughlin didn't speak poorly of him either. He just didn't hug him to his breast and tell him it's alright.

He doesn't need to do that, just ask "How are you feeling?, "Are you alright?" questions like these go along way. I didn't say he needed to hug Plax, just show a concern. The bullet wound could've been more severe.

He doesn't need to do that, just ask "How are you feeling?, "Are you alright?" questions like these go along way. I didn't say he needed to hug Plax, just show a concern. The bullet wound could've been more severe.

Are you sure he didn't do that after his initial comment? And it's funny you are so concerned about people showing Burress respect but don't give a crap that he doesn't respect anybody else. I would much rather have a guy respect me by showing up when he's supposed to than be late or not show at all but when I see him have him give me a big ol' "How are the wife and kids". Keep in mind that he was shot the night before they played the Skins when he was supposed to be rehabbing an injury. This guy is the classic "Me Me Me" guy.

I don't know, I look at it a different way. I have had many Marines over the years disappoint the unit with some really stupid actions but you always have to let someone know you love them; even if there is going to be some disciplining, living with the results of their actions, whatever.

Plax made a horrible mistake but I think we are looking at it through fan glasses when we start saying that he ruined a team's season or let everyone down, whatever. The guy never intended to do that to himself. It's like saying Magic let the Lakers down by getting HIV and having to retire after having so much unprotected sex.

Guy is a human being. If he is your TEAMMATE, you show him you are there for him.

Nobody read the part of the article where he was saying that the GM or somebody in the team office was ordering him not to practice and that Coughlin and other players didn't like it but couldn't do anything? Kinda reminds me of stuff we hear about the Redskins and Snyderatto. I had no idea that the Giants have some of the same problems.

I wonder if we'll ever hear Malcolm Kelly say something like that, lol.

I don't think he expected anyone to make excuses for his behavior. I think he probably expected people to pick up a phone and say, hey, how are you doing? I hear you have a bullet in your leg...

Agree with Westbrook here. It's not that one has to agree with every statement Plax makes in that article but I think he was railroaded by Bloomberg (who is a scumbag anyway, he conducted an illegal operation in Virginia, as part of his bizarre fixation on guns) I think someone can 'dislike' you as a person and still show concern, because those are supposed to be "teachable moments" where you can turn a guy around by not abandoning him because you weren't always his biggest fan.

Someone can be a jerk and not deserve a certain type of treatment but it doesn't obviate the responsibility of other people to do the "right thing" in those situations.

Archived